1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

evening folks :)

thanks again for dropping in and leaving words of encouragement :)

next up was the panel that covers the forward fuselage fuel tank, between the main engine panels and the cockpit. On the real aircraft it was made of heavier gauge aluminium to protect the tank and in lots of photo's is poorly fitting and quite agricultural in appearance - also as far as I can tell it had no rivet detail apart from around the various filler caps & inspection hatches...

..it is also the last of the upper fuselage panels to doso I was quite looking forward to it..

..first the usual tape template - here also using dymo tape to get the straight line at the rear - I also marked out the positions of the details from a scaled blurry pic I have of TZ138 sat in the hangar (I foumd it hard to find good close ups of the top of it as in most ref pics it has been removed & no-one takes pics of the panel itself :))

WIP1312_zpsmuru1juu.jpg

..the template was transferred to metal and worked on..

WIP1313_zps0bpimkky.jpg

..I curved the panel (prematurely as it turns out as I later found rivet detail around the openings...) and added some backing to the big hole as there is a tiny gap between the skin and the fuselage..

..at the bottom are the parts I started to make for the fuel filler cap..

WIP1314_zpscbz98h8i.jpg

..on TZ138 the fuel filler cap is set in a bevelled metal fitting (some Spits have a gap between the skin & the tank..) so I started to work a bit of thick sheet and set this under the skin..

WIP1315_zpsyltlvacc.jpg

..the last detail is the big inspection panel - here I used a shaped scalpel blade to punch through the tiny oblong openings and added the rivet detail...

WIP1316_zpssuzdkuqt.jpg

..the panel is quite proud of the fuselage at the rear edge so I added a strip to the fuselage to space it slightly, which I think works but you be the judge..

...also when I went to fit the panel in place I very nearly screwed up the positioning, but thankfully managed to peel it back without ruining it by sloshing lots of glue thinner behind it and once in the right position that was it...

WIP1317_zpsy64zdfoj.jpg

WIP1318_zps9qokfkgt.jpg

WIP1319_zpsfow4bvfx.jpg

WIP1320_zpslaf50fiq.jpg

I've been wondering about your finishing methods once the panels are applied.... I went looking back through your tutorials and couldn't find a mention of it, and please forgive me if you've described it before, but what process do you go through?

Craig

Hi Craig :) I use various sandpaper grades followed by 0000 wire wool to get the primary finish, then I polish it with Cape Cod polishing cloths to get the final shine - Race #80 was polished so for most other aircraft I expect just the wire wool would do it :)

so thats it for now, I expect I will do the tailwheel area skinning next..

TTFN
Peter

....And if this beauty is going to be at Telford this year, as well as the Cape Cod polishing cloths, you'll need some spare rag to wipe my drool off this masterpiece.

...Because I will be drooling  :wub:

...all over it....everywhere. It's going to be covered in slobber and I won't be able to help myself.

Just warning you!  :rofl:

(It's GORGEOUS. What else is there to say!)

Best regards;

Steve

Hi

Every day at noon, i check  this work... At the time some others of my friends that work next to me,  are expecting more advances from you.

Never disappointed, always speechless!!!! 

From the words spoken for more than 6:  " you are an an engineer whit artist hands".

Greetings from Colombia

(Sorry my bad English)

a question peter - all the fittings you are making from brass - I assume you will use a substance such as brass-black on them and then paint them? I mean the ones that will be visible on the natural metal parts of the airframe, which I am guessing is most of it..

evening folks :)

Hi

Every day at noon, i check  this work... At the time some others of my friends that work next to me,  are expecting more advances from you.

Never disappointed, always speechless!!!! 

From the words spoken for more than 6:  " you are an an engineer whit artist hands".

Greetings from Colombia

(Sorry my bad English)

Hi unigoliat :) thank you - I am thrilled to hear you tune in from so far away - amazing the reach modelling has :)

Here is the section on the real Race 80 in Vancouver...as replicated by Peter

Barney

Hi Barney & thanks for that shot, the pics you sent are pin sharp and very helpful :), your model looks great too..

a question peter - all the fittings you are making from brass - I assume you will use a substance such as brass-black on them and then paint them? I mean the ones that will be visible on the natural metal parts of the airframe, which I am guessing is most of it..

Hi Rich - most things like gear legs etc will just be painted, the filler caps will dull down with age and as far as I can tell were brass though I would quite happily paint them if needed. The one on the cowling is red on TZ138 now, but I don't know if it's always been that way..

Just a thought that crossed my mind Peter. How heavy is the model currently?

Best regards;

Steve

Hi Steve - the main model is 0.8Kg - I expect when finished it will be about a kilo :) good job the gear is brass...

so a little bit more done...

..this is an early shot of the tailwheel well showing it is just an open floor I needed to skin and add structure to.. since this was taken a brass fin post was added that defines the lower contour...

WIP1322_zpsal7qjzyo.jpg

..I needed to add a foundation structure to skin onto, so I set out the shape and made a base shape..

WIP1323_zpsu9zssfm6.jpg

..working from the holes, I later snapped out the waste..

WIP1324_zpsfsve1z7j.jpg

..and this was added and checked with the tailwheel oleo for positioning..

WIP1325_zps7ihfvdjq.jpg

..I then started to make up some of the skinning..

WIP1326_zpsmtqt1hv1.jpg

...and the work in this area starts..

WIP1327_zpssff0w6nj.jpg

WIP1328_zpsngkmhok5.jpg

WIP1329_zpsqvpiw1w0.jpg

WIP1330_zpsh4ytpury.jpg

..this allows me to work forward now on the under fuselage towards the rear of the wing - once that is done it is just the wing tips and the skinning will be complete :)

..back soon

TTFN

Peter