1/18 Spitfire Mk. XIVe - Race #80

airscale

Hi folks :)

So what are you going to do about the window for the port?, and Idea I would suggest is a small picture of the interior shot through one and then stuck to the model with a window over the top of it. That or paint it darkened and add the window

Hi Tony - thankfully the camera lens port is covered with a Canadian roundel so I don't have to worry about anything visible within it - all I have been stressing about is whether it is an optically flat glass panel or was the same contours as the fuselage - this is the evidence I based my conclusion on...

At top left is the Thai XIV with the optically flat panel - you can see at the top & bottom it is pretty close to being faired to the fuselage, but in the middle the recess is a few inches from the skin and should be visible in photos of TZ138. All the other pics are of TZ138 and as far as I can see there is no recess and in fact in some shots I think I can see the roundel curving with the fuselage so that is what I have gone with...

WIP1280_zpsxgsdjyo1.jpg

hope that convinces the court :)

Well done Peter. What do you estimate the percentage of completed paneling now, 80-90 percent? Lovely work.
Thanks for sharing with us all.

Troy

thanks Troy - still adding panels so will be back soon with a bit more skinning - I would say 75% as I have the main fuselage to go - that said, every time I think I am closer I add things to the worry list that still need doing - Elevators, Canopy & Windshield, Cockpit door, wing tips and I need to sort the markings out - can mask cheatlines but need masks and dry transfers made for logos / numbers etc so that needs vector artwork I need to do..

back soon

TTFNP

Peter

That's a tough one Peter, but to my eyes (not as good as they used to be) that Canadian roundel looks quite flat. To be honest, the recess is not that deep, so I'm wondering if a circular flat blanking plate was installed over the camera port? The fourth photo looks as if there is still a slight recess around the roundel.

Best regards;
Steve

It would make sense to replace the Perspex panel with a metal disc, Perspex doesn't really like paint and certainly not stripper, it's also not as durable nor as strong, hence why freighters replace the windows with metal blanks as freight doesn't need to look out.

rhanks & good evening chaps :)

I am kind of settled on the window port being concave now - so that is how I will model it. I think it is inset slightly which is how mine is, but I can't see the flat panel as the depth just isn't there for me at the centreline..

so the next order in the panel lay down is the spine...

WIP1281_zpsc6ps7y87.jpg

..i found there is another slot for a canopy guide rail at the top of the spine too so cut that out and after laying the rearmost panel i set down the tape template for the one that runs up to the seat bulkhead. There is a lot going on here - it needs to come down the right height each side to set out the two lower rails, it needs to frame one of the camera doors, it has a fuel filler hole in it and it has the top slot canopy rail so these were all laid out or traced...

WIP1284_zps4g2n1xxb.jpg

then the panel itself was started...

WIP1285_zpsqlfzpszm.jpg

..all the detail added and I stared to shape it..

WIP1286_zpszcagd9vv.jpg

.. I put some dymo tape on the slot to help it form an even curve as I rolled it from below..

WIP1287_zps3kzd9s6r.jpg

..and fitted it and started to work the surface a bit..

WIP1288_zps2gdbmsjo.jpg

,,with the finished panel in place - i am happy with how it turned out as when laid down it seemed to hit the spot in all the right places..

WIP1289_zpstv5lpeq6.jpg

WIP1292_zpsjzjh7xrv.jpg

WIP1291_zpsqmav2fny.jpg

WIP1290_zpsijsrffqh.jpg

..onto the next one - I am happy as I found one sheet of old stock litho so I know I have enough to finish now :)

TTFN

Peter