Italeri Mirage IIICZ SAAF, FINISHED!!

ericg

Jesus Eric! 

I can't even keep up reading your posts let alone the rate at which you build your models. The mirage is looking stunning mate, well done! 

Craig

But wait, there's more!

Upon cutting the canopy from the sprue it was immediately apparent that some of the frames were too skinny and would need to be fixed. The rear most from was the worst, and it the model wouldn't be making an appearance in my display cabinet looking like that.

Here is the canopy, as Italeri would have it.

IMG_8628_zpsm7xvnosx.jpg

IMG_8630_zpslgwkzpuo.jpg

I sanded off the rear frame using a variety of sanding sticks. It is most important at this stage that you do not get any deep scratches in the plastic, otherwise its game over.\

IMG_8631_zpssml1posu.jpg

I buffed it with a sanding sponge to remove any sanding marks

IMG_8632_zps50mhru2k.jpg

Followed by a polish with another buffer to remove the fine swirls left by the sponge.

IMG_8633_zpshdus1w8s.jpg

I stuck a blob of blue-tak on the inside of the canopy for a grip and support and then polished the plastic with a cloth wheel mounted in my cordless dremel (a must have if you are going to do this job). Tamiya polishing pastes make short work of this step.\

IMG_8634_zpshnpb4abv.jpg

Here is the canopy, minus the rear outer frame. The thin inner frame is still visible, but that will be a story for later.

IMG_8637_zpsijcuyks9.jpg

I then masked the canopy with a fatter rear frame, plus a very small addition to the two side frames.

IMG_8639_zps3ho8wwpk.jpg

Spray it with a few coats of Black Mr Surfacer to build it up.

IMG_8640_zpsvlby6ghq.jpg

Here is the result. A better proportioned frame ready for masking.

IMG_8642_zpsdbjftryw.jpg

Some more work on the canopy.

I thought that since the canopy of this model is going to be open and `in your face' that it needed a bit more work done to it. I beefed up the inner frames by super glueing thin strips of plastic card and then sanding to shape. I will mask the inside of the canopy and spray them black as well before re-masking the outside and spraying that the cam colour. It will lookk far better than the kit offering.

IMG_8663_zpsjxghne2s.jpg

IMG_8660_zps2sal2q52.jpg

IMG_8659_zps3dgorbe6.jpg

I have also started the wash on the model using AK Interactive panel line washes.

IMG_8661_zps7tjyatf1.jpg

IMG_8662_zpsrdynge6i.jpg

Hi 

that turns very nice , beautiful paint work too , free hand done ??? ......If you allow me to push you , don't forget the canopy knife inside the ......canopy , eyes are always attracted by tiny details , and I like tiny details

Alain 

I began to fit the nose gear to check for alignment before painting and realized that there was going to be an issue. Something you may want to have a look out for on your own build. Something seemed odd about the position of the nose gear leg and the small door that is attached to it.

The leg was too far back, and the lower door was too low.

IMG_8664_zpshkyqtafy.jpg

Here is the lower door. It is just too low down the leg and the attachment point of the lower edge is a bit too bulky for my tastes.

IMG_8666_zpsmfkthylx.jpg

I modified the nose gear leg to better fit closer to the front. Here it can be seen in a much better position. Notice how the lower door is still too low?

IMG_8667_zps8r9votlt.jpg

Here is a different angle. From references, it was going to require modification.

IMG_8669_zpsrhya2j2c.jpg

I shifted the door higher up the leg

IMG_8679_zpsshrlbfqs.jpg

Notice how everything looks much better aligned now.

IMG_8677_zpsor1505xa.jpg

IMG_8678_zpsluaxc18l.jpg

The actuator was too short due to shifting the nose gear forward.

IMG_8681_zpsotxqpd31.jpg

I made up a new rod from some brass to fix the issue.

IMG_8684_zpsxrxyldoy.jpg