Italeri Mirage IIICZ SAAF, FINISHED!!

ericg

So, I thought I would have a nice relaxing afternoon wiring up the brake and hydraulic lines to the main undercarriage. What resulted was yet another modification to the kit to bring it up to scratch!

I usually like to compare multiple pictures of different airframes to ensure that I get the general feel of the wiring more or less correct and to avoid the mistake of an inaccurately restored aircraft or wrong variant etc.. There was something wrong with the layout of the kits main undercarriage. I couldn't put my finger on it at first, but careful inspection of walkaround photos had disproved my assumption that the IIIC undercarriage was the same as the IIIE, of which this kit is surely based upon (this further strengthens my opinion that Italeri have either made this kit a IIIE from the outset and have poorly retooled it to make it a C when they realized that another company were doing a IIIE, or have tried to save some money by basing the smaller details on a broader design, releasing the less common variant first to capture more sales)

Here is the main gear leg dry fitted to the model. Notice the small actuator ram at the front of the gear leg.... It was this part that was causing me some grief when I was looking for routing of the hydraulic lines. The further I looked at it the more I could see that it would have to be changed. The IIIC actuator is completely different.

IMG_0002_zpsf8vant1w.jpg

Here is the kit gear leg. Looks OK for a IIIE (which would be great if it was a IIIE!)

IMG_0005_zpswfh7u6ue.jpg

Here is the same leg, minus the actuator. I left the lower outboard bracket still attached.

IMG_0006_zpsiz1eihrx.jpg

The modified leg compared to the kit leg. I twisted the outer bracket that I left attached before to suit the angle of the new actuator, which can be seen here. I used Aluminium tube, and plastic card to make it.

IMG_0009_zpscdyqzert.jpg

Here is the modification in place. Compared to the unmodded leg, It is quite different.

IMG_0007_zps8bmnal4h.jpg

The modification also requires a small bracket to be made that fits into the corner of the gear bay.

IMG_0008_zpsewwttetr.jpg

Here is the difference. Most noticeable from the front.

IMG_0011_zpsxgwn1gg4.jpg

Hi Eric

Very good job!

Are the wheels from the kit? if they, be careful they are a bit smaller in dia. than they should be...

When those from Harold will be available, no pb to update ;-)

raf

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rafju, I am using the kit wheels at this stage.

Another update and this one is pretty close to the finish line.

I have continued the weathering of the lower fuselage with the addition of streaking and grime with oil paints. \

IMG_0078_zpssq4hj5rv.jpg

I have also added some post shading with Tamiya smoke in areas where ground crew would be accessing the airframe for refuelling and servicing etc.

IMG_0080_zpsxqbqkun2.jpg

The model is now officially sitting on its undercarriage now that the mods have been carried out.

IMG_0083_zpsqvieunw7.jpg

I added brake lines with copper and lead wire and have painted the undercarriage. I am much happier with the model now that it has the correct configuration of the main gear. I airbrushed everything with AK Interactive Aluminium.

IMG_0084_zpsr9zk77gf.jpg

I am now in the final stages of this build with only a day or so work left on it. I have started preparing the smaller details that will complete it, such as the stuff that follows.

Here is the probe on the left side of the fuselage. The Italeri one from the kit is far too fat to look any good, so I replaced it with a small piece of micro tubing set inside some plasitc rod that filled the hole nicely.

IMG_0181_zpsva4ylccr.jpg

The SAAF Mirages have a small blade antenna on the nose gear flipper door. It has wiring that is attached to the inside of the door, so I scratched some from lead wire and plastic rod.

IMG_0172_zpsqpdojir7.jpg

Here is the blade antenna that I made from plastic card. It is the same size and shape as the antenna that is included in the kit for the upper fuselage. Also visible os the new cannon barrels that I made from brass tubing to replace the rather undersized Italeri ones.

IMG_0174_zpsfkxjrv0j.jpg

The landing light has now been inserted into the nose.

IMG_0176_zpslb0cmafh.jpg

I scratched the canopy breaker knife from plastic card.

IMG_0179_zpsznrxfjcv.jpg

Starting to look like a Mirage now.

IMG_0168_zpstheoiuml.jpg