Italeri Mirage IIICZ SAAF, FINISHED!!

ericg

Some more work on the ejection seat painting the smaller details. I added the stitching detail with a very sharp lead pencil. A few more bits to go and it will be done.

IMG_8576_zps3texuqtj.jpg

As I wanted to depict Rynier's Mirage, being `811' I cut a stencil using my Sillhouette Portrait mask cutter, on Oramask 810. Do yourself a favour and get one of these machines! 

IMG_8565_zpsvlpfcbsj.jpg

IMG_8575_zpsoa98oxtc.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

WOW! absolute;y gorgeous work and the black basing weathering is outstanding ... just enough to break up the single color without being over powering.

BTW, The Meteor is back on the bench and underway again. I've finished my 48th scale Jug, the Hun Hunter is now on hold until the Meteor is completed.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Edited by Peterpools

Onto the decal stage. It was a well known fact that Italeri fudged the markings for the SAAF version by providing am orange Springbok instead of gold. I ordered the MAV decals sheet for 80's cam Mirages. It arrived pretty quickly and in good order. Being ALPS printed, some care was taken with handling them and they needed to be carefully cut from the backing sheet.

I am very impressed with the way that they have applied, being very thin and conform well using Microset and Microsol.......BUT.....They appear to be a shade of purple and just don't seem to be right. The Sprinbok, shape and white borders are really nice and were above my expectations. The colour of the inside of the roundel however seems to be more purple than blue and I will be seeking advice regarding what to do next, as if it is wrong then I wont be able to progress further until it is fixed. I am comparing them to many different photos of the Mirage IIICZ's across different devices to make sure that it wasn't just my screen giving me the wrong info.

Here is a pic of the MAV decals roundel applied to the model compared to the Italeri decal for comparison. If the MAV decal was a little more blue like the Italeri decal, or if Italeri decal was right in the first place there would be no problem.

IMG_8615_zpsiphvqwgw.jpg

Here is the underside. I have lightly post shaded some of the features with Tamiya smoke.

IMG_8616_zpsgnjt2fad.jpg

I went to apply the markings for the Matra JL-100 pods and could only find one set of markings on the decal sheet, till I noticed the remainder on the small correction sheet that was included in the box.

IMG_8617_zps4xohsipj.jpg

Not sure where to go from here!

IMG_8611_zpsyid9bett.jpg

Guest Peterpools

Eric

I always have my money riding on that virtually nothing will escape your trained eye. Decals and markings look good to these old eyes and the underside weathering is spot on!

Keep 'em coming

Peter

Hi Eric - I think it looks great!

The blue on the Mav decals looks closer to the correct shade (to my eye) than the blue of the Italeri decals, albeit with a slight touch of purple...

This is an image of the scheme I'm doing (but different airframe without additional national marking on fin) with the natural metal section behind nose cone - similar colour - but am aware of vagaries of colour repro from photos - especially older ones  :)

Comparing the image with your build I'd say it looks pretty close!

post-260-0-77502200-1452866352_thumb.jpg

IMG_8611_zpsyid9bett.jpg

Am impressed by the opacity of the white surround on the Mav decals when placed over the dark green - one of my concerns with the Alps decals.

Hoping to get paint and decals on mine at the weekend.

Iain

Observation - perhaps...

I have posted these pictures with Ryniers permission. Thank you sir!

image.jpg6_zpsn2c5mnje.jpg

image.jpg2_zpsdihr6xxy.jpg

Question re. Rynier's aircraft - probably just lighting (?) - but almost looks like the springboks have been painted out!?

Iain

Thanks for the input guys.

Iain, yes the Springboks look painted out and your not the only one to notice as my good mate Simmo.b picked it up as well.

I am putting it down to the gold not being reproduced very well on the black and white photo. Looking at as many photos of CZ's during the bush war as possible, if it was painted out then it would have been the only one so I doubt it.

Eric

I completed the decalling of the model including the stencil data. I have dry fitted most of the components of the model together to check for fit and of course the sit of it on its undercarriage. Its also a good opportunity to make sure that it is not a tail sitter. Worth noting that at this stage it is sitting on its nose gear OK but will sit on its tail if pushed. I still have a few options up my sleeve to add nose weight but in my usual fashion I will only add what is required to have it positively return to its nose in order to keep the overall weight of the model to a minimum.

There seems to be a limitless amount of different ways the marking were applied to these machines during the Bushwar, so this is my best guess at how 811 may have looked.

IMG_8622_zpssgebved7.jpg

IMG_8624_zpsy0vb6zs6.jpg

IMG_8625_zpscm2dw1gn.jpg

IMG_8626_zps3fskvvmw.jpg

IMG_8627_zpsdq8hnfpz.jpg

Edited by ericg