Kitty Hawk 1/32 Kingfisher; boy are we in for a treat!!!

alaninaustria

That truly looks spectacular, we should thank our lucky stars we have a manufacturer producing such kits and not another subject that's been done to death and then some. 

Well done Glen  :goodjob:  and thank you.

ps. Hope you include some FAA decals

Kingfishers with yellow wings and Neutrality Patrol stars, the nice blue ones, the faded ones... never can get too much of this good thing. Thanks for a very much wanted subject. Where is that 1/32 Tang Submarine for the rescue diorama? ... maybe that's just a bit too big for display, unfortunately.

... and I wouldn't be able to resist a Seiran, a Pete, nor even an Alf if you were thinking that way. Any plane with floats is a good thing to model... maybe difficult to land successfully, but it sure looks great.

Tnarg

I'd do almost literally anything for a large scale seiran (if my screen name doesn't hint at that) but whoever is doing the design work on Glens kits needs to majorly shift their focus to the buildability and stop overengineering the damn things. I've built starcraft kits that fit better than the Dog Sabre and 1/48 jaguar and cougar and for the prices of these kits, I will NOT be buying another one without seeing marked improvement :(

I have to 100% disagree with that. I've built two of KHMs OV-10s now (and their T-6), and it too had lots of open panels, but the buildability of the OV-10s, both the A model AND the D was EXCELLENT. I guess my point is that to generalize about KHMs new gen kits having bad buildability is WAY inaccurate. Granted ive not built an 86 yet, but for as poor as you have reported the buildability to be, I've read several reviews where people seemed to love how it builds.

Each to their own, when it comes to buying and building kits, but your assessment of Kitty Hawks new gen 32nd models overall as having bad buildability is highly inaccurate/just plain wrong.

Edited by Out2gtcha

Guest Vulcan32

Glad to see that we will get the Kingfisher. I also agree to the postings that we get some very interesting and well researched kits from Glen and Kitty Hawk Models. I have all of the already released KH models.

But KH should improve their moulding and/or their quality controls.This is not 2015 standard. The F-86D is my second kit with defective parts. One hobbystore here has stopped selling KH models because of disappointed customers.

I have to say that Glen already replaced the T-6 parts, thank you for the great customer service.

I´m sure that KH will solve this problem and I´m looking forward to your next kits.

Heinz

P1030071_zpsktbycr8g.jpgP1030077_zps624r8qqn.jpgP1030078_zpsjrviy9ad.jpg

I have spoken with Glen and the Kingfisher will be seen later today!

Glen has sent me a bunch of test-shot photos, and asked me not to publish them until after the US Nats, unless someone beats me to it. Once someone reports that Glen has done the official unveiling, I'll post them up.

Kev

Good Grief! You guys whine and pitch hissy fits for kits then can't take it when they aren't perfect. GROW UP!

As an adult you should be able to handle disappointment. As a modeler you should already have the skill to correct the problem. Nothing is ever perfect......well there is Tamiya.

Guest Vulcan32

Good Grief! You guys whine and pitch hissy fits for kits then can't take it when they aren't perfect. GROW UP!

As an adult you should be able to handle disappointment. As a modeler you should already have the skill to correct the problem. Nothing is ever perfect......well there is Tamiya.

I don´t have any problems with some minor fit issues or with open panels and I also have the skills to correct it.

But I also have the skills to repair cars or electrical appliances and I don´t like to buy new ones with defective parts just to handle my disappointment.

And I´m grown up and far away from whining.

Edited by Vulcan32

Glen has sent me a bunch of test-shot photos, and asked me not to publish them until after the US Nats, unless someone beats me to it. Once someone reports that Glen has done the official unveiling, I'll post them up.

Kev

Excellent news, Kev. What a unique and cool subject.

Member B757Captain has built the F-86D, too, and it seems that he noticed a few fitting issue, but nothing really serious. From his description, it looks far from "terrible".

http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=57130

Anyway, the F-86D is on my "to do" list as soon as i can finish one or two builds in progress.

Just chiming in here, I did just finish the F-86D, and to back up some other comments, the fit is pretty darn good. Due to molding the fuselage and some other parts in sections, the inner components do have to be installed to really see the proper fit - just taping the outer pieces together doesn't give a true picture. I didn't have any short shots in my kit, but that can happen to any manufacturer, though quality control should catch that before boxing. However, "that guy" has to look at probably thousands of parts trees as they come out of the press so he's probably cross-eyed by the end of the day. He probably misses a few. Wouldn't make me happy but it's fixable.

Now to my take on the "other" argument. I have kits from every manufacturer in my stash. Notably missing is most of the Tamiya stuff. Great fit or not, I have a really hard time justifying over $150 for a P-51 or a Corsair. Or $175 for an F-4E, especially an old mold, older technology kit. True, they may fit better or fall together, or be so good that I can shake the box and out falls a perfect kit. Still can't justify the price (those are current SB prices, I know I can get them cheaper elsewhere). But here's the rub - I don't see an OV-10, an F-86D, a T-6 or soon a Kingfisher in Tamiya's catalog.

I have recently finished assembly on the SH P-39 and the CZ T-33. I am really looking forward to my next KH build. If they others are anything like the F-86D I will enjoy the build. Partly because of the subject matter (that no other manufacturer is attempting), partly because they do build into a nice looking kit, partly because I don't have to take out a second mortgage to buy the kit, but mostly because I have fun building them. I said in my F-86D thread (I think, or maybe somewhere else) that KH is on par with Revell or Trumpy (the good ones) for fit and quality, light-years better than the short run manufacturers (and the older Hasegawa kits!), but their pricing reflects it. I can live with that, and I will keep on supporting them by buying (and more importantly building) their kits.

And by the way, I keep putting the Tamiya F-4D I have back on the shelf cuz I'm not ready to tackle all the work it will take to fix all the problems with that kit. So much for shake and bake, huh?

Respectfully,

Mark