Kitty Hawk 1/32 Kingfisher; boy are we in for a treat!!!

alaninaustria

I couldn't disagree more, I see the Hellcat as extraordinarily iconic. If I'm not mistaken, the Hellcat shot down more Japanese aircraft than any other WWII US fighter, making it one for the record books. For Tamiya to do one, wouldn't surprise me one bit. Time will tell I guess.

I feel like there's a different between 'iconic' and 'historically significant' and 'successful combat record'.

The Hellcat was important, but I don't feel it gets the same kind of widespread recognition (even among people only casually interested in WWII aircraft) that other aircraft, such as the P-51 and Corsair get.

That's why Tamiya did the P-51 and the Corsair. And that's why at all the airshows I go to, the P-51s and Corsairs seem to get all the buzz and attention.

Another 'iconic' american fighter would seem, to me, to be the P-40. Especially one painted with a sharkmouth.

So I'd be quite surprised to see Tamiya do a Hellcat, though I'd certainly buy it if they did. But I think it'd be more likely to see a Tamiya P-40 first.

In all honesty, now that Tamiya has done 2 american and 2 british aircraft in their lineup, I'd like them to tackle something axis next. I know the Bf109 and Fw190 have a decent array of kits out or on the way already, but I feel like Tamiya versions would probably bring a little something extra to the table. Or they could do something unexpected and do a less popular axis aircraft. Maybe something japanese again?

With that said, I wouldn't complain if Tamiya did a P-47, P-38, Wildcat, Hurricane, etc...

Not real sure how Tamiya got into this thread. Did they announce an OS2u? When the "iconic" OS2u Kingfisher hits the shelves we might use Tamiya paint, no, not me, I use enamels. OK I'll use MM or Humbrol to paint mine. I'm seeing the KH Kingfisher as a nice palette for color: blue uppers, grey lower, and lots of wiggle room for subtle weathering.

Good Grief! You guys whine and pitch hissy fits for kits then can't take it when they aren't perfect. GROW UP!

As an adult you should be able to handle disappointment. As a modeler you should already have the skill to correct the problem. Nothing is ever perfect......well there is Tamiya.

It's more a sense of "if that's wrong, what else is wrong that isn't blindingly obvious to me ?"

I'm very glad stuff like the Kingfisher is being done, and am looking forward to getting the OV-10A if there's some bronze LG out there soon.

Tony

• 2 months later...

When you pay the high prices for these kits, you expect it to be a quality product. There is no excuse for constant defects. I have KH P-39Q, and I am having to clean up every part because of flash. As far as customer service, I have sent multiple emails about a couple of issues, and have never seen a response, making me not wanting to give them anymore of my money.

When you pay the high prices for these kits, you expect it to be a quality product. There is no excuse for constant defects. I have KH P-39Q, and I am having to clean up every part because of flash. As far as customer service, I have sent multiple emails about a couple of issues, and have never seen a response, making me not wanting to give them anymore of my money.

I understand your point of view. I am not the Kittyhawk's lawyer nor i want to defend them, even if i have to say that i like their kits and state of mind. Yes there are some defects that have been spoted by several persons. However, it may be a bit difficult for a small and young company to answer to every emails.

The better thing to do may rather be to open a thread regarding these defects in this forum and to ask formally to the KH guys what would be done to correct them for the next productions and releases.