Trumpeter

Shoggz

This company (to my knowledge) weren't around in my previous modelling life.. So I really don't know a lot about them.

What I do know though, after picking up a copy of their 2015-2016 catalogue, is that they do a LOT of LSPs!

1/24th AND 1/32nd scales and a plethora of subjects.. some a bit different from the 'norm'. (A 1/24th Spitfire Mk.VI?)

I'm quite tempted to get one of their models, as currenly my stash is Trumpeter-free, just to see for myself what they are like.. though having read a number of WIPs and RFIs of Trumpeter subjects my impression is that there is no consistency to the standard of their wares?

Edited by Shoggz

I feel i should ask what your priorities are in your kit building, if you've recently rejoined the hobby.  if you are simply looking for a build that fits well, looks relatively accurate, etc, then almost any of the large scale trumpeter kits will be good for you.  If you are a little more concerned about accuracy, you'll need to do a bit of research regarding the kit(s) you're interested in

Most of the Trumpeter kits look very impressive in the box - lots of parts, separate control surfaces, usually tons of ordinance, etc. Most of the kits fit very well also (the mig 15,17,19, and 21/F-7 series are my exceptions to the fit rule). Where accuracy is concerned, unfortunately they are hit or miss - the A-7 front end is very noticably squashed, whereas the F-8 and F-18 are some of the nicest 1/32 kits I've ever seen and so far as I know, are quite good in terms of accurate outlines and shapes. The wildcat and F4U Corsair are not great efforts whereas the hellcat, bearcat, avenger, and dauntless are superb.

I'll agree with Clunkmeister's assessment on decals - they usually go on nicely and look good with a coat of setting solution but the artwork and colors, as well as the paint instructions, almost always leave a little (or a lot of) something to be desired if you're looking for complete accuracy.  

Drop me a line if you want to chat specific kits, i've owned most of the trumpeters at one point or another.

cheers!

Mike

I built their SU-30 MKK and it was a tremendous fitting kit.  Really turned out great..........................that being said one of my first LSPs was their Mig-15 Fagot. By far and AWAY the worst fitting kit I have put together, bar none.

As D indicated, your best bet is to find out what you really want to build, then do some on line research to see if it was put out by the Trumpeter "A" team or a team further down the alphabet.

HTH

Shoggz,

I have a stack of Trumpeter kits.

In my experience it helps enormously to *either* know the ins and outs of the subject intimately, to correct it, or sweet Fanny Adams and build it blissfully unaware of its shortcomings.

they mostly build well, the mouldings being crisp, but the plastic is not hard like Tamiya or Hasegawa, more like Revell Germany kits, so don't use too much solvent when glueing.

Tony

Thanks for all the input guys. The particular kits I would be interested in are ones that would fill gaps in the stash and are not available from other manufacturers.

i.e. The F8F Bearcats, the P47s and the BF109Fs would be the ones I woud be most likely to indulge in.

..and they seem to do a multitude of versions!

My first foray into LSP's after a very long hiatus from modeling was the Trumpeter F4U-1D Corsair (the Tamiya kit hadn't been released yet). I hadn't done any research and just bought it because I always liked the gull wing. IMO, it was an excellent build. It went together very nicely with no major issues. I bought some AM Eaglecals because I didn't like the included checkerboard livery. IDK about how accurate the shape is, but it looks like a Corsair to me. It's quite a bit cheaper than the Tamiya kit and I think it builds a very nice bird for the money spent.

-Scott

I've been pretty happy with the P-38 I have in progress so far. Not the most accurate or detailed thing I could hope for, but drastically better than the old Revell kit. Good luck!

Tim