Trumpeter

Shoggz

Ron, I think it has been helpful to look at why Trumpeter does what it does, and that's intimately connected to its corporate and national culture. But you're right, I think we've reached this point with that:

:deadhorse:

No, I get that and thought it was great info/insight, just don't want to see the thread slip into Chinese industry slam etc as we've seen that topic spiral into lock down a few times over the years now.

Ron

For BF 109  1/32 models kit (G versions) I prefer TRUMPETER, very detailed, good shape in general, and his big point 

: very sharp nose.

Very recomended

So in the last two years I've builtGustavs from Hasegawa, Revell and Trumpeter. 

Just my opinion, but I find all three about equal. Each has its moments of brilliance. And each has some really head-smacking flaws. And the crazy thing is, there's almost no overlap.

The Trumpeter specifically - I feel it has far and away the best landing gear of the three. I love the engineering of the cowl that actually keeps with the way the real thing was designed. The ailerons and elevators are much better than the disc-laden Revell kit, but I think the radiator flaps aren't as good. The G-10 is also (maddeningly) missing tailwheel options (the G-10 I was building needed a short tailwheel) and the extremely common DF loop antenna - I had to steal both from a Hasegawa kit.

One of those subjects where I really wish you could stuff all three kits into a blender and combine them into one fantastic piece of work.

So in the last two years I've builtGustavs from Hasegawa, Revell and Trumpeter. 

Just my opinion, but I find all three about equal. Each has its moments of brilliance. And each has some really head-smacking flaws. And the crazy thing is, there's almost no overlap.

Add to that the Eduard Emil where if you build the engine, you can't close the cowl.... :thumbsup:

They're models, gents. Flawed, but fun.

Although I still have quite a few unbuilt Trumpeter kits in the stash, I always look forward to their new kits. And continue to hope that they will bring kits of aircraft that haven't been available in 1/32 so far. 

Trumpeter has made LSP's popular and probably inspired many other companies to produce big kits. I remember the days that very few kits were available in 1/32 and when guys like Jack built impressive kits out of blops of vacuformed plastic. It made me dream that one day i.m. kits would come of the models built by such talented people.

Sure, some Trumpeter models need extra work, but imagine building an F-105 from a vacu kit or modifying the Trumpeter kit. I'm sure most wouldn't even attempt the first option.

I have the impression that the rate of new LSP's by Trumpeter has gone down over the last couple of years and I think that's unfortunate. I still would like them to release loads of other kits! Prowler, Rafale, Mohawk, Draken, F-106, F-111, G-91, Defiant, F-102, Fury, Ju-188 and tons of others!

And I'll build them too, although I like picking one out of the stash and sitting in front of the tv with the box on my lap, going through the sprues too...

Nic

Interesting discussion with regard to Trumpeter.

The only thing missed is people for whatever reason perceive that Trumpeter is the only model company making errors in kits.

A far bigger corporate error maker far closer to home is Revell.

Since the release of the original Ju-88A1 they have released a hoard of kits plagued with errors varying from average to very poor.

Is a Revell coated in Teflon?

Maybe they are as people seem to be queuing up to buy the F-4G yet just about every part is simply wrong with dimensional and shape issues not to mention the original kits issues.

If Trumpeters issues are cultural what are Revell's? Greed? Sloppy research? Time pressure from management?

Over the same timeframe Trumpeter has slowed down aircraft releases popping some excellent kits with the A-6/F-106's leading the way. Combined with there excellent T-90/T-80 and T-72 family of highly accurate armor kits they are putting out some excellent kits.

Hopefully Revell do so with the 190 family.

I have the impression that the rate of new LSP's by Trumpeter has gone down over the last couple of years and I think that's unfortunate. I still would like them to release loads of other kits! Prowler, Rafale, Mohawk, Draken, F-106, F-111, G-91, Defiant, F-102, Fury, Ju-188 and tons of others!

And I'll build them too, although I like picking one out of the stash and sitting in front of the tv with the box on my lap, going through the sprues too...

Nic

Nic, didn't you have some "IM-voodoo" stuff in mind as well?? :wicked: :wicked: :wicked:

I think Revell were limited by the rather ancient base kit they had to work with for the F4G. One extra sprue, new decals and a box and there is a new product line. And it will sell. Remember, whatever products manufacturers release, the most important thing they MUST make is a profit.....

And ref the FW190, they are damned if they do and damned if they don't. There are going to be so many Experten circling like Hyenas when it comes out, straining to savage the slightest misplaced cowling fastener, the fact that it will be a well produced, well engineered, well packaged, easy to buy and inexpensive product will get lost in all the fire and brimstone.

I am glad I don't build Luftwaffe subjects! I couldn't cope with all the angst!!

Tim

So, what have Trumpeter done for us this Century ?

Apart from:

* Turning the minor tributary of 1/32 LSP into mainstream

* Producing unusual subjects not covered by anyone else

(at least until that role was superseded by Kittyhawk, Kinetic and HK Models)

* Packaging models in sturdy boxes

* Spawning or feeding a host of AM firms and raising the bar on those products,

particularly pre-painted etch and turned brass

* Helping to use up paint at a prodigious rate so every project can have fresh jars

* Loft insulation

Tony

Thanks for all the input guys. The particular kits I would be interested in are ones that would fill gaps in the stash and are not available from other manufacturers.

i.e. The F8F Bearcats, the P47s and the BF109Fs would be the ones I woud be most likely to indulge in.

..and they seem to do a multitude of versions!

... I have one of the P-47's in the stash. I'm told the accuracy is off - but it looks like a P-47 to me! (The other option is the Hasegawa kit which has some issues of it's own) ... and I like the detail in the Trumpeter kit.

... The Trumpeter Bf109F is closer in accuracy to the G-2 that the F series ... Definitely go with the Hasegawa kit on this one, if you'd like even a reasonable degree of accuracy. Having said that, Trumpeters designated G-2 kit is pretty decent and it's the most accurate of their Bf109 series.

Rog :)

Add to that the Eduard Emil where if you build the engine, you can't close the cowl.... :thumbsup:

They're models, gents. Flawed, but fun.

... unless you buy AM from .... you guessed it!! ... Eduard ...

Tired of making AM to fix everyone elses dodgy kits - they decided it was high time to muck up one of their own ... and provide the AM to fix it.

A Brassin DB-601 complete with fitting cowl to fit straight on to your very own Eduard Bf109 (OR, I believe, your CH/Dragon Kit!!)

Darren,

Revell gives us pretty darn decent kits and charges us peanuts. Trumpeter gives us so so kits (A-6 excepted), and robs us blind.

Yeah, so I give Revell a pass, because of the value.

... In your world maybe ... In my part of the world a Revell Bf109G-6 will cost the same as the Trumpeter kit (or near enough to make the difference negligible) both kits will set you back between $40-$50 depending on where you get them. The Trumpeter kits are not as accurate ... but the fit and finish is excellent, so too, is the detail - though some would say overdone. I can't honestly say that I'd prefer the one over the other.

... I'd get ready to shell out between half the price again and double for the new 190 ... there's a stack of extra detail in the new kit.