1/32 Handley Page Hampden (Tigger Models)

AlexM

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening!

No pictures for today, but a question to the RAF experts:

As mentioned on the third page of this threat, I'd like to make this the Hampden P1333 as it can be seen on the first page in the Warpaint booklet. That photo shows the left side of the aircraft with the code F*EA. Now I wonder what the code was on the right side? EA*F or F*EA? The color profile on page 10 of the Warpaint booklet also just shows the left side. Was there any gerenal rule :hmmm:

The first color profile in the Warpaint booklet shows the L41914 on both sides with the code B*ZM on the left side and ZM*B on the right side.

For me, EA*F would be favorable for the right side, as there is only little space between the roundel and the wing root ;)

Alex

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Hello everyone! It's been a little while since the last update. I recently moved into a new appartment, and resumed working on the Hampden. I attached the wings and the remaining control surfaces, and finally sprayed a first coat of Model Master medium sea grey, since this will be the color for the fuselage codes. 

dt8HBud.jpg

V1Ca400.jpg

After cleaning up some  surface imperfections, I gave it a coat of Vallejo Model Air dark earth.

Zx8HJen.jpg

Well, I have never seen a real british WW II aircraft, but while it was easy to spray, the Vallejo color doesn't match my imagination of dark earth. It appears way to dark in my eyes. I also read somewhere that the Vallejo dark green in turn is rather bright, so that there is very little contrast between dark earth and dark green. I guess I won't use the Vallejo dark green.

But first, I have to replace the Vallejo dark earth with something else (a pitty that I already removed the masking tape from the canopy  :BANGHEAD2: ). 

I have the Model Master dark earth, and I wonder if this one is a good match for dark earth  :hmmm:

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM

Seven months away but worth the wait, welcome back.

With regards Dark Earth and Dark Green, these were mixed by the painters to the specifications of the ministry, and as such were sometimes a shade or 3 lighter or darker depending on the mixer. Also both colours were susceptible to fading due to sun bleaching/general weathering in the elements/service. I am sure that there are many variations and you should go with the colour that you feel is right.

I look forward to seeing the results.

Bob 

Ref the code letter positions, the squadron identifier two letters was usually forward, and the individual letter aft, for exactly that reason; there was usually less space aft because the fuselage tapers!! The roundel was usually in the same position. But as always there were plenty of exceptions. I can only really say check your references. There is a good Air Britain book on the Hampden, for example.

Tim

• 2 weeks later...

Hello,

I now repainted the Hampden with Xtracolor dark earth, and I like the shade. It is much lighter than the Vallejo color. A nice feature about Xtracolors is that they are glossy, so if one would only use xtracolors, there is no need for the otherwise obligatory coat of "Future" before applying the decals.

Dark green came from Model Master, which has a matt finish. In my case, that's no problem, since most markings were sprayed with masks. In the end, it all got a satin clearcoat.

Sorry for the not so good photos, but on the other hand, they gloss over many imperfections at the clear parts that still need some cleanup.

qtKHrqh.jpg

U5qV6nj.jpg

5XwS5M4.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM

Lovely build Alex, such an elegant aircraft though totally impractical:

"I did my first flight and first tour on Hampdens. A beautiful aeroplane to fly, terrible to fly in! Cramped, no heat, no facilities where you could relieve yourself. You got in there and you were stuck there. The aeroplane was like a fighter. It was only 3 feet wide on the outside of the fuselage and the pilot was a very busy person. There were 111 items for the pilot to take care of because on the original aircraft he had not only to find the instruments, the engine and all that, but also he had all the bomb switches to hold the bombs. – Wilfred John 'Mike' Lewis

and of course besides Tim quoting Gibson flying them, more notably Flt Lt Learoyd's determination in pressing home his attack earned him the first Bomber Command VC of the war.  His commendation reads:

Air Ministry, 20th August, 1940.

The KING has been graciously pleased to confer the VICTORIA CROSS on the undermentioned officer in recognition of most conspicuous bravery :-

Acting Flight Lieutenant Roderick Alastair Brook Learoyd 37860 :-

This officer, as first pilot of a Hampden aircraft, has repeatedly shown the highest conception of his duty and complete indifference to personal danger in making attacks at the lowest altitudes regardless of opposition. On the night of 12th August, 1940, he was detailed to attack a special objective on the Dortmund Ems Canal. He had attacked this objective on a previous occasion and was well aware of the risks entailed. To achieve success it was necessary to approach from a direction well known to the enemy, through a lane of especially disposed anti-aircraft defences, and in the face of the most intense point-blank fire from guns of all calibres. The reception of the preceding aircraft might well have deterred the stoutest heart, all being hit and two lost. Flight Lieutenant Learoyd nevertheless made his attack at 150 feet, his aircraft being repeatedly hit and large pieces of the main plane torn away.  He was almost blinded by the glare of many searchlights at close range, but pressed home this attack with the greatest resolution and skill. He subsequently brought his wrecked aircraft home and, as the landing flaps were inoperative and the undercarriage indicators out of action, waited for dawn in the vicinity of his aerodrome before landing, which he accomplished without causing injury to his crew or further damage to the aircraft. The high courage, skill and determination, which this officer has invariably displayed on many occasions in the face of the enemy sets an example which is unsurpassed.

Coming together nicely, Alex. It's good to see you back on this one. The lighter earth color is much better than the first attempt.

Somehow, but maybe it is just an effect of tne pics and black color, the lack of depth of the underfuselage of the ID/Tigger kit seems more visible with paint, but the result is great nevertheless. :goodjob:

Waiting eagerly for more :popcorn:

Hubert