1/32 Handley Page Hampden (Tigger Models)

AlexM

Hello there,

some update from the weekend. I'm working on the nacelles. As mentioned above, the diameters of the cowlings and the nacelle of the kit are too small. I got correct cowlings from Hubert, which makes adjusting the nacelles necessary. As a reference, I glued styrene discs at the front of the nacelles. This might not be accurate, since from the photos I known of the real Hampden it seems that it was possible to see the engines from the wheel wells. But in that case I give priority to a (hopefully) convincing outline:

Qs4etPJ.jpg

The lower nacelles were partially made up from of the original kit parts and scratch built parts. The mounting for the forward part of the main landing gear is very simplified, but again I gave priority to a stable construction (since I will paint it black, I hope not too much will be seen anyway :rolleyes: ).

rBhiDEC.jpg

For the upper nacelles I use lots of putty. This is the current status (the wings are just put to the fuselage without glue, as are the cowlings to the wings):

ylWIPtN.jpg

Everything is still unclean, but the nacelles are slowly taking shape :frantic:

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM

Good to see the cowlings could be of some use, Alex. Be careful to recheck the measurements for the cowlings' length, though.

I based my part on the scaled-up Warpaint drawings and the known diamters of the Pegasus. The rearmost "panel" line, as far as I remember what I did, corresponds to the cowlings flaps hinge line. If you add these flaps at the rear, as I tend to interpret your pics, you might exceed the total cowling length, which is roughly 4.1 cm from the wing leading edge to the exhaust collector ring tip. I have a feeling the total length you end up with on your kit is more than that.

I need to check my own parts, but they are in the (dark) attic right now, and I can't extract them tonight.

Excellent and inspiring work. :frantic:  :frantic:  :frantic:

Hubert

Good evening,

thanks all for your interest. Unfortunatelly no pictures for today  :sorry: 

Hubert, thanks for your hint! I also try to orient myself with the warpaint drawing. At the moment the whole engine cowling/nacelle in front of the leading edge of the wings appears a bit to long, so I will take care about this. Some adjustment//sanding/cutting here and there will (hopefully) do the job :coolio:

I want to close the fuselage now with all those clear parts. Before that, there is some work to do with the interior details. So I wonder what would be the correct bomb sight ("course setting bomb sight") for a 1940 Hampden? Something like this? Or something more modern (see Wikipedia)

Cheers

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Howdy, it's been a while since the last update. Progress became very slowly. Too little freetime and too much distraction :doh:

Here is a photo of some defence guns. The Vickers K guns came from the Italeri 1/35 Commando Car kit which cost only10 €uro if I remember right. The forward gun barrels have been replaced by some longer diagonally sanded pipes.

k05UgXA.jpg

This is my scratch built Course setting bomb sight made of styrene rods and photo etch parts from the spare box. Not sure if this is accurate for a Hampden in 1940 though.

THl8pb8.jpg

And finally, a picture of the (unfinished) wheels I did cast with resin using the vacuform parts of the kit as a mould. I'm quiet happy with the result. A little filler and sanding still here and there, and the wheels will do it for me :frantic:

20150510_202528_zps6z41nm7p.jpg

I did cast several wheel halves about two weeks ago with clear polyester resin. It's not important for the wheels but I wonder why some wheel halves turned yellow after very short time (a few days) while others remain totally clear until now :hmmm: It was the first time I did handle with resin. Any tips to prevent the resin to turn yellow if one day I want to do somethin really transparent (for example position lights)? The various wheel halves have been cast unter similar light conditions, if that's important.

Cheers and best regards

Alex

Edited by AlexM

• 4 months later...

Hello there! It's now been some time since the last update. In fact, the last weeks and months I spent more time playing around with 3d-software on PC rather than cutting real plastic :mental:

Nevertheless, this project is still alive. The main parts are currently pretty colorful. I scribed the panel-lines according to the drawings in the warpaint-booklet. Then I sprayed the roundels using self-made masks.

One wing already received scratch-built rudders. I tried to recreate the fabric-cover look by simple small stripes of masking tape (saw this in a video from Paul Budzik ;)).

After some hundred times of filling and sanding (at least I felt so) I gave the engine nacelles a coat of paint to check the surface. Though not yet perfect, it's getting better. Still some holes and bumps here and there… Btw, ignore the strange green color, I had nothing better at hand. Here are some pictures showing the current status:

uDWy6dK.jpg

TwK8lI0.jpg

xnca9xf.jpg

Cheers

Alex

Edited by AlexM