HK B-17...C 5/4 sweating the metal

brahman104

Craig,

Just got caught up.

I'd have to classify your scratchbuit  "nosecone" framework as an astounding piece of work to begin with. The finished piece is SUPERB!

I have to admit, I had my doubts about fitting separate clear sections into the frame work, but as always you stuck with it and pull it off!

Most would have gone with a vac'd part, laid on some framework and called it a day, but you have pretty much duplicated every original piece.

Every step of your C/D build has taken modeling to a level most of us can only envy!

Every part you fabricate becomes a model in it's own right!

Keep up with the fantastic work, it is simply amazing how a cutup "G" fuselage has slowly but surely morphed into a C/D!

Terry

• 2 weeks later...

Craig,

this is incredibly good!

Creating the bathtub by vacuum forming seems to be promising  :goodjob: 

Cheers

Alex

Thanks Alex! I was actually inspired to take this path by your success on vac forming over 3D printed parts. I've also learned that formed acrylic makes a very nice surface to work with when done properly, so that may be the way that I create parts in the future, depending on size of course....

Craig,

Just got caught up.

I'd have to classify your scratchbuit  "nosecone" framework as an astounding piece of work to begin with. The finished piece is SUPERB!

I have to admit, I had my doubts about fitting separate clear sections into the frame work, but as always you stuck with it and pull it off!

Most would have gone with a vac'd part, laid on some framework and called it a day, but you have pretty much duplicated every original piece.

Every step of your C/D build has taken modeling to a level most of us can only envy!

Every part you fabricate becomes a model in it's own right!

Keep up with the fantastic work, it is simply amazing how a cutup "G" fuselage has slowly but surely morphed into a C/D!

Terry

Thanks Terry! Given the success of the nose cone, I may actually try to do a standard F cone with no extra mounts, unlike the one they give you in the E/F kit. If I do this right, it should fit straight onto the kit without modification. Having said that, when I eventually get around to the F I will be making a new and correctly shaped forward fuselage. The C/D has been a wonderful learning experience and has taught me a good many lessons for future projects :)

So for having a month off I have pitifully little to show for it (on the model that is). Unfortunately, all my time has been taken up renovating the bathroom, welding and building a new front fence, but I did get a chance to do at least something pertinent to the build :)

K2afV3t.jpg

After 3 years, I finally got around to making a cradle for the fuselage to sit on. This way, I can rotate it easily to work on and I don't have to continually chock it up when adding details inside. Just a simple frame made up in the laser cutter out of scrap 6mm acrylic. I really can't believe I haven't done this sooner, but at better late than never right!

k0EHTSu.jpg

eC59gyL.jpg

tGpUUSF.jpg

Most of my aircraft models these days have figures in them. I think it adds a little life and sense of scale to the model, so I've been hunting around for some suitable candidates. Unfortunately, there really isn't any around the fit the bill (think early Pacific War) so I'm going to have a crack at making my own. Youtube has given me some guidance and the only thing left is to jump in and have a go :) I hope you'll join me for the next instalment of B-17 fun!

Cheers,

Craig

Craig,

Remodeling and a new fence!

Between your job and all the other home projects you juggle, I'm surprised you'd have enough time for a OOB build, let alone this C/D enterprise!

Your cradle reminds me of many a time I procrastinated on a "time-saver", only to come to the same question you had --- "what took me so long!"

I'd almost forgotten how great that bomb bay turned out.

Custom figures! Craig you are your own worst enemy --- just kidding.

No it doesn't really surprise me. Like all your other work, it will amaze me --- but not surprise me!

"Early Pacific war" --- might I suggest using the movie "Air Force" for a good variety of clothing ideas.

Hell, you'll probably end up with figures capturing the facial characteristics of John Garfield and Harry Carey!

Seriously, it would be a nice addtion to see some "warm climate" attired figures rather then the usual "high altitude" look.

Keep it coming, Craig ---- whenever you have the chance!

Terry

"Early Pacific war" --- might I suggest using the movie "Air Force" for a good variety of clothing ideas.

Hell, you'll probably end up with figures capturing the facial characteristics of John Garfield and Harry Carey!

Seriously, it would be a nice addtion to see some "warm climate" attired figures rather then the usual "high altitude" look.

Hahaha! That's exactly what my inspiration is going to be Terry :) Can't promise any exact replicas, but I do want to capture this classic pose.....

VPloOYj.jpg

2j1k9TV.jpg

It's going to be a bit of a challenge getting this one right, but if I can do it, it will really top of the whole look. :)

To that end, I have had this Andrea miniatures "multi-pose" figure for a while and thought this would be possibly be a good opportunity to try it out. However, much to my dismay, it appears Andrea's figures have quite a different interpretation of what 54mm is..... actually something like 62mm as you can see, which would put him at about 7 something feet tall. Not ideal.

h5jlqE8.jpg

Anyway, I decided to throw him, or "Harold" as I have named him, into the hot seat to get a bit of a feel as to what I might be up against.....

KK6U0CM.jpg

mlqdVIj.jpg

jkjSVE6.jpg

Hmmmm.... He'd be acceptable if I was doing a model of the "Queen Bee" where they removed the top deck and had an open cockpit, but he's not really going to cut it here, so after a quick peruse of youtube about making armatures, I started to build my own....

kLcUuMW.jpg

Pretty straight forward, and now a have the basis of a couple of figures (one is called "Winston" and the other "Percy") that are a lot closer to the correct size.

VeqxKJE.jpg

I'm looking forward to having a go at this. I attempted some basic figure modelling a few years ago, but I'm hoping I can do much better this time!

Craig