1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

that is amazing! wish I could have seen that :punk:

thanks for stopping by folks - will be using those tips on sorting out the rudder..

I also wanted to test a theory for building the wings by doing it in smaller scale on the horizontal tail so have been playing about at that today..

..first I traced the tailplane outline from the plan onto greaseproof paper and stuck that to some 3mm plastic card - then I cut out two profiles of the tailplane without the elevators...

WIP645_zpsnnjtvkaq.jpg

..I put a square tube spar through the one in the fuselage and started to understand the geometry - the spar wasn't straight in either dimension which made things tricky. I used a square to get the profiles in the right position in planform and tacked the tips to the spar with CA so I could mark out the spar position underneath..

WIP646_zpsoybfjoqv.jpg

WIP647_zpsgkyqmh6l.jpg

..once marked out you can see how off the spar would be if I used the stub I embedded in the fuselage..

WIP648_zps7qdcawrt.jpg

..I cut out a slot for a mini spar and slotted the end of it to slide onto the tailplane part..

WIP649_zps4bc5aqo6.jpg

..and checked again the geometry was right..

WIP650_zps3kpa01y6.jpg

..then on a trip into the unknown I prepared some balsa sheet with a scored groove to accept the spar and made up a sandwich to give the tailplane some bulk I can shape later..

WIP651_zpsryua9dfd.jpg

..I ended up with two tailplanes to work with..

WIP653_zpsljznm60a.jpg

WIP654_zpscta6t5j7.jpg

WIP655_zpsoxnucjkm.jpg

..I will soak the leading edges and tips in thin CA and shape them to the aerofoil profile in the next few days - the plan then is to soak the whole thing in sanding sealer or something to harden up the balsa and skin in litho...

..in theory it will work, but we will see - if it does then the same process hopefully will be used for the wings...

TTFN

Peter

Hi Peter;

This is an awesome build! Tigercat is the one of the most graceful airplane ever designed and your rendition is a work of art.

Been following since the beginning and i'm amazed at your scrachtbuilding skill!

I wish i had half of your's.

Stephane

Nice approach ... but for the balsa ... Balsa has only one benefit : it's light, which is a tremendous asset for flying models .... For static modelling, it is just a pain to use, being porous, and prone to taking dents ... I'd have used thin basswood.

Just my two cents .

Hubert

Guest Peterpools

Peter

Some mighty fine work and Hubert is correct. Basswood wouod be a much n=btter choice in the long run. In model railroading, almost all the wood structures are made from basswood.

Keep 'em coming

Peter

I TOTALLY love this build!

Peter, I too am curious on the rib tape ideas for my 24th Mosquito build.  I was thinking of using Archer as well and then masking each tape and spraying with Mr Surfacer to create a 'slight' edge effect. Keep us posted on your thoughts and ideas here.

Just inspiring work mate, love each update.

Cheers

Anthony

Yes indeed, Balsa is great for R/C ships, but for scale jobs, the thin bass wood sheet might be preferable. Balsa is indeed easier to shape however, but in the end, might not prove as good of a "sticking base" for the aluminum sheet. Even hardened with thin CA soaked in it, sometimes the thinner sheet will succumb to having dents pushed in it with fingers and what not, as the area that is not soaked can deform a bit around the soaked area.

It might very well be fine under a layer of C/A primer, but I wouldnt want to take any chances on denting or deforming after the sheeting is put on.     

You could paint on some polyester resin, the basic stuff for making fibreglass parts. A long time ago we would have used furane resins, but elf n safety did for them a long time ago!!

Tim

Tim

Peter-

I agree with Tim here, you might consider getting some Polyester resin to coat the balsa parts with, as it would totally encapsulate them, as well as making them very stiff, while still sandable......Might check the local DIY, the stuff is fairly cheap.

Great work so far-

THOR    :ninja: