1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

• 2 weeks later...

evening folks :)

..it's been a while and it has taken me this long to actually sit down and do something - I lost my way for a few weeks after going to LA and catching up afterwards...

..to get me back in the groove I thought I would start nice and simple - a panel on the tailfin. I have learned a lot since I started skinning in litho so having done the opposite panel on the other side of the tail with no detail, I felt confident enough to try pre-detailing this one before laying it down..

..it's the leading edge panel here..

WIP594_zpsjfcfspoa.jpg

..usual process to burnish down a bit of masking tape, run a sharp pencil around the edges to get a template that should be a perfect fit...

WIP595_zps1ozjrfdj.jpg

..after marking out for rivet detail, I scored all the straight edges and used a PE tool to bend and snap off the waste - I use scissors for anything not totally straight, like where this panel meets it's opposite number on the fin leading edge..

WIP596_zpskvy6pdxq.jpg

..after riveting, I laid the panel flat and used a sanding stick on the rear face to get rid of bumps & burrs and also burnished it before the next step - taking the masking tape off and annealing it over a cooker gas ring for a few seconds to make it more flexible..

WIP597_zps9xcometh.jpg

..I taped the panel in place and worked the leading edge shape with a wooden paintbrush handle so it doesn't mark the part, I also prepared where the two panels meet at the leading edge so there are no gaps...

WIP600_zpsfe3mojf9.jpg

..as it was made to fit in exactly this position I just folded it back on the tape and masked up to apply the adhesive..

WIP601_zpsohxhafd2.jpg

..a quick brush or two of adhesive and removed the masking ready to fit..

WIP602_zpsntlp3rnv.jpg

..used some masking tape to hold tension across the leading edge and burnished again to get good shape and adhesion...

WIP603_zpsf1mhhoye.jpg

..it came out ok, and more importantly has got me back in the chair to keep going :)

WIP604_zps5ts7ufbx.jpg

..I also started to think about starting on the wings and used some brass stock to get some idea of the overall size - I have no idea how I am going to work this on my bench when the time comes..

WIP606_zpsc0rftwuw.jpg

..so that's it for now - building a Tigercat, one panel at a time...

TTFN

Peter

Edited by airscale

cool!

I have a query re: adhesive - what are you using, and how strong is it? In the past I've used simple all purpose adhesive from the local *insert hardware store as appropriate* - the downside being that it splurges out of the edges and has to be cleaned up.  Can also sometimes cause the occasional bump..  that stuff you are using looks like a much better option..

Good to see you back Peter. Hope your holiday was enjoyable and relaxing.

building a Tigercat, one panel at a time...

TTFN
Peter

Your cunning plan appears to be working. Slowly but surely she's taking shape. This is spellbinding to watch and most inspirational. Please keep at it.

Cheers.

Peter i have told it in the past but i will tell it again. I really envy your skills, your builds are of the best i have ever seen!!

Now some questions, what is the thickness of tha aluminum sheet you use? What kind of glue do you use?Are there any special considerations you have to take into account?

Thanks for your effort to show us new things and techniques,

John

Peter i have told it in the past but i will tell it again. I really envy your skills, your builds are of the best i have ever seen!!

Now some questions, what is the thickness of tha aluminum sheet you use? What kind of glue do you use?Are there any special considerations you have to take into account?

Thanks for your effort to show us new things and techniques,

John

Thank you John - very kind  :)  I think I might do a little tutorial and put it in the Tips & Techniques forum - it is pretty simple and only requires basic tools but I have learned a few things the hard way so would be worth sharing that..

cool!

I have a query re: adhesive - what are you using, and how strong is it? In the past I've used simple all purpose adhesive from the local *insert hardware store as appropriate* - the downside being that it splurges out of the edges and has to be cleaned up.  Can also sometimes cause the occasional bump..  that stuff you are using looks like a much better option..

Hi Rich - I just use this impact adhesive from Homebase - forget about the spray, it's no good for this kind of work. The cleaner below is mandatory, it just dissolves the glue (even when dry) so cleaning up is just a wipe or two (but it is a solvent so pretty destructive in the wrong place)

WIP501_zpscb4i1l2j.jpg

let me put a tutorial together and I can go through all the bits and bobs..

TTFN

Peter

Amazing work with the lithoplate. Having it all riveted and then getting it on the aircraft perfectly without loosing detail or messing up the alignment blows me away. I would be swearing the whole time, then giving up and reaching for the Alclad.

Hi folks :)

..just a little update with some more skinning done..

..I have been doing the rear fuselage slightly differently to the other side - I have been adding a few raised rivets and have been alternating the metal grain to get a contrasting panel effect. I also added in some new panels that I only found when I got up close to the F7F in Chino, so each side is different but I can live with that..

..I added a bottom panel where the tail hook once was - this has pretty chunky rivets on the real thing...

..its the bottom panel here..

WIP608_zpsvelxtceo.jpg

..the made up panel..

WIP607_zpslvcic3h9.jpg

..and in place..

WIP614_zpsn01xjewd.jpg

..also wanted to add the chine that runs along the top of the rear fuselage so bent up a test part and learnt enough to make the real part..

WIP609_zpsep7gt3zt.jpg

..masked the top fuselage to add the adhesive..

WIP610_zpsv3xvwgia.jpg

..and the part in place.. there is a fairing at the front I still need to make..

WIP612_zpsulse8iwi.jpg

WIP611_zpsedqb7xug.jpg

..you can see the panel contrast and the chine better in natural light...

WIP613_zpsjjr1beuo.jpg

..and this is where I am at - should have the final panels done soon...

WIP615_zpswjys5ah4.jpg

..back soon

TTFN

Peter