1:24 Grumman F7F Tigercat N7654C

airscale

Peterr, I'm sorry to say, I haven;t looked in for some time. I'm not disapointed ! She is just so beautifull. At bomber camp, one guy was telling me he got to ride in one. Said it was one hell of a hot rod and really put a smile on his face !........Harv

Oh yeah! I got the privilage of riding in an F7F some years back, and it was INDEED a hotrod! It is SO enormous when compared to any of the other iron works cats we flew with........litteraly looked like a bomber when in formation with them.

evening folks :)

..back with a little more Tigercat mayhem..

Maybe you already covered this in your tut and I didnt catch it, but how are you going to handle the main front nose section?

Hey Brian - that is a difficult question!  I have vaguely tried a few things with pewter and always got kinks. It is in two halves on the real one so the curves aren't mega acute, but I think what I will need to do is make a resin male / female mould of the nosecone and try pressing it or forming it by annealing and slowly bringing the two moulds together in a vise..  one for another day and plenty of trial and error I expect...

so, last time I had to finish up the plating at the rear of the fuselage - this is done now except for the final tailpiece which I will leave as I keep whacking it on the bench...

WIP616_zpsaqaxxjzx.jpg

..next was the rudder - I had made a spar and end profiles from card and rod and although it is fabric covered, I made the body from litho plate too..

WIP617_zpsnmzjkkwf.jpg

WIP620_zpstu8kwn4k.jpg

..I built some internal structure to mount the trim tab and did the usual tape template to make up the tab itself...

WIP618_zps07o9yzdz.jpg

..this part is riveted rather than fabric, so did that before folding along it's spine and adding the supporting structure..

WIP619_zpszypf3erl.jpg

..now I have been thinking about how to replicate linen and tried paper, tissue and tape but eventually settled on some stuff used for R/C models called Solartex. It is a sort of synthetic fabric that is used to cover a balsa framework. It has an adhesive backing that is activated by heat from an iron, and a bit more heat will cause it to shrink and give a strong (and fuelproof) skin for R/C aircraft..

..I closed my eyes and tried it...

WIP621_zpsokeqvl9p.jpg

..after trimming with a brand new blade and working the edges with the iron I was quite happy with the result - it is a bit overscale but I can live with that..

WIP622_zpsvnrxz1fn.jpg

..I still need to fettle the assembly to get the trim tab to fit properly and then try experimenting with rib tapes...

WIP623_zps0f5xmpmo.jpg

WIP624_zpsvd3nns34.jpg

WIP625_zpsekiy1cl6.jpg

..thats it for now, but it was quite a fun crossover experiment and hopefully with paint it will look ok..

TTFN

Peter

Awesome!    The fabric texture of the Solartex looks great to my eye. My father was into R/C pretty much my ENTIRE childhood..................its come a long way since Monocote!    The Solartex stuff is really strong stuff..............

Did you use a Monocote style heat iron, or a heat gun?

Edited by Out2gtcha

Shhhhhhh - I used Mrs airscale's household iron

..next time she irons that little black dress I fully expect her to be able to flick roll, stall turn and loop the loop...

Be careful, as sometimes that stuff will tend to stick to the irons surface.................dad had that issue a couple of times with the textured/fabric coatings vs the shiny Monocote stuff.   I think they even made a special iron "sock" that slipped over the iron itself to prevent such disasters.  

Either way its a great solution to the fabric dilemma!