Revell Spitfire again, some comparisons

desmojen

Thanks for a great review - now we know what to expect, and - in outline - look towards fixing.

Definitely growing on me in leaps. The only problem is that Spitfires look so much better on the display shelf in twos or threes!

Wonder if they'll release new variants, as they seem to be doing with their new Bf 109 series ?

Tony

Hi Jen, thanks for taking the time to post the comparison shots and review.

I expect that I will take the plunge and then add the aftermarket bits only for Tamiya to announce their version as I finish mine.

I think the image that James added of his completed build illustrates the square shouldered fuel tank to perfection.

Edit* Just went pack for a second peek at James's model and noticed the raised (Archer?) rivet detail on the fuselage. A definite improvement and a little detail to consider. Thanks James.

Edited by geedubelyer

Great write up - thanks Jen! Finally some factual and non emotional reflections... I will get one for sure!

Very nice build up James! Love the finish and the pilot! BTW; what does a mirrored instument panel look like.... that's got me a little confused? Anybody have a picture of it to show us??

Cheers

Alan

The Tamiya legs won't fit in the way that Revell intended, but they do fit in the bays without modification. They may well require some tweaking, maybe a jig to hold them in the right position, but fit they most certainly will.

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I know it was a bit of a scattered post but I can see I got my point across ok :)

Jen.

Not that I will buy this one or any other Spitfire kit, but the most striking issue for me when looking at James Hatch' Spitfire is the "squarish" shape of the top fuselage ahead of the windscreen. The lighting betrays something "un-Spitfire" there ...

Hubert.

Looks like all we really need, apart from basic modelling skills for a few tweaks, are some Airscale dials, HGW straps and a set of these...

imagejpg1-24.jpg

...assuming G-factor-for-Tamiya fit the Revell.

Tony

If I am not mistaken, this mark of Spitfire did not have scissor links on the landing gear?

Well, given that the cavalry aren't coming to the rescue, this kit will likely have to do for some time for us Spitty fans.

And after all the fallderoll around the kit when few or none had it in-hand, it's nice to have some concrete details.

The AM folks will have to step up on this one, but I suspect they will more than recover their money.

And I for one would love to know what to do to modify the metal legs to this kit, as the styrene ones scream out for replacement.

The Tamiya legs won't fit in the way that Revell intended, but they do fit in the bays without modification. They may well require some tweaking, maybe a jig to hold them in the right position, but fit they most certainly will.

Thanks for the feedback chaps. I know it was a bit of a scattered post but I can see I got my point across ok :)

Jen.

I will wait for Eduard to make legs

The GFactor ones will not work for the average modeller and are just not designed for this kit

Jim - you have the Eduard bat phone - can you ask them about their plans?

Cheers

Guest Peterpools

Mine is now in the hands of FedEx and on it's way. I hoping that wihin a few months the AM guys will have a boatload of upgrade kits for us to choose from and then it's bench time.

Peter