Does anyone make exhaust stacks for the 1/32 P-51 ??

swede

Im pretty sure anyone who is anyone knows Moskit has LONG since died off the planet, but indeed you may be able to get lucky and pull the sword from the stone, and find one, but it will be high bucks, and likely NOT on e-bay or the like, but kept in coveted stashes around the world...................

BUT there is hope. Has anyone mentioned REXx yet?  I completely realize they do not help in the OPs situation as he is looking for P-51 exhausts which from what I can tell, they dont make yet.  However, their "galvanically grown" production process mirrors that of Moskit's. 

But,

Looking over the REXx inventory, it seems that it could be within the relm of possibility for them to produce a P-51 set. They make many 1/32nd sets, and seem to add to a growing inventory as time goes along. 

They indeed must be popular, as I have kept checking, and they seem to be adding new items, but a lot of the most popular ones seem to be out of stock.

Edited by Out2gtcha

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Gents,

the drawing is done. It took me arround 40 hours as an non 3D expert to do the drawing.

So it's not realy difficult to do the exhaust, and I'm surprised that non single aftermarket supplier is offering the P-51 exhaust in 1/32.

Drawings, software and printers are nowadays available. Maybe I will try with my colleague 3D printer the print in the new year.

Exhaust02.jpg

Exhaust01.jpg

Exhaust03.jpg

regards

Edited by Ralph-D

Guest Paul Budzik

As an aside ... that some might consider ... this is a good example of what traditional miniature machine tools are good for.  Small single jobs like this can be done much quicker.  You can see what I did for these exhausts back about 20 years ago ... it probably took about 2 hours.

Bottom of page 5 ... http://paulbudzik.com/models/p51.pdf

Just a suggestion that some might consider ...

Paul

Those look great Ralph!!  Nice work.  I know nothing about CAD, but is it possible to include the weld seams along the sides and around the flange at the exhaust end?

To do so I need the Inventor Professional program and the exhaust tube need to be drawn as two pieces. I was thinking about the weld seams too. See the link how it can be done with a different approach.

http://r2-team.de/3d-druck   --> scroll down until P-51 exhaust

As an aside ... that some might consider ... this is a good example of what traditional miniature machine tools are good for.  Small single jobs like this can be done much quicker.  You can see what I did for these exhausts back about 20 years ago ... it probably took about 2 hours.

Bottom of page 5 ... http://paulbudzik.com/models/p51.pdf

Just a suggestion that some might consider ...

Paul

so true Paul, but unfortunately I do not have the handcraft skills compared to you and having this option to use my colleagues new 3D printer, discharge endorphins in my body  :lol:

I tried to copy the exhaust from the TAM P-51D but did not succed because of the air bubbels in the resin.

Regards

Ralph

As an alternative, are the exhaust stubs on the P-51D the same as the P51-B?

There are folk out there who have the Tamiya Mustang and used the shrouded exhausts which may have left the unshrouded ones available. (I'd have to check on the instructions). If they are similar, could those be adapted to fit?

Cheers.

Both unshrouded and shrouded type exhausts are the same between the B and D.

D

Good to know D, thanks.

swede, I checked the instructions from the Tamiya P-51D that I built a while ago and both shrouded and un-shrouded exhaust stubs are included.

The un-shrouded stubs are part# J12. They fit into plate# V1 on one side and V2 on the other.

I checked the sprues from my kit but I've already given my spare set to another member, sorry.

Perhaps someone who has built the kit with shrouded exhausts could spare you their unused items?

HTH and good luck,

Cheers.

Edited by geedubelyer

• 6 months later...

unbelivable how slow the progress is but this became a other hobby for me like many of you..one or two or...is not enough for us.

Januar or Februar I did the assembling drawing, expert know immediately if this is the right or left exhaust stack...

P-51-Exhaust-DRW.png

and 4 month later the first 3D test print in 1:24 scale,

P1000653.jpg

P1000652.jpg

below the MOSKIT 1/32 exhaust next to the 1/24 exhaust, i'm looking forward to do the 1/32 comparison

P1000656.jpg

The picture should indicate that the exhaust printed as "hollow". Unfortunalety the tips did'nt turn good.

P1000655.jpg

Resume, I'm quite happy but the baseplate need to be reinforced and for the 1/32 print I think a solid body design is from advantage.

It's unbelivable nowadays, even if you are not an 100% techn. drawing expert what can be achieve in our hobby.

In the next days I will airbrush them in gray, hope the contours appear better compared to clear resin.

Cheers

Ralph

Edited by Ralph-D

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Brian, sorry was busy.

your question if I'm selling any in 1/32 or 1/24, first I need a reasonable 1/24 print the I do the 1/32 version.

This will take time and 2nd I do the print with my colleagues 3D print but for sure if one of you known guys in LSP are asking then we we can do an arrangement.

Back to subject, I airbrushed the exhaust and as you can see, the details are fantastic but the surface shape is kind of angular and the tip it looks like a hex-nut.

The 1/1 Inventor drawing is perfect seams by converting it turns to an angular shape..still home work to do hmmm.gif

Does one of you has an original exhaust at home/work to compare with the pictures if the shape is same or similar?

P-51_Exhaust_001.jpg

P-51_Exhaust_002.jpg

P-51_Exhaust_003.jpg

Salute

Ralph

Edited by Ralph-D