So does anyone else her think we need help with the LSP addiction?

1to1scale

I am sitting here thinking about what kit I want to build next, I realized that in the last 30 days I have bought a lot of plastic. Last night, after my wife went to sleep, I went to my "stash" closet and was looking through my kits for a quickie project. I started opening boxes, fondling plastic, I even found a few pieces of AM I forgot I bought and stashed in the box. I then realized that I have quite a few kits. If I count everything including 1/72 and sci-fi BSG and SW stuff, I have over a hundred kits in my stash. So why is it that I still have a need to buy more kits? I must be off my rocker because I bought some more just recently.

Here is a list of what I bought since mid December:

Model 339C/D Buffalo, Special Hobby 1:32

P-40E Warhawk, Hasegawa 1:32

Grumman F4F-4 Wildcat, Trumpeter 1:32

F9F-8 Cougar, Fisher Model & Pattern 1:32

F-80C Shooting Star, Czech Model 1:32

Lockheed T-33A Shooting Star, Czech Model 1:32

Messerschmitt Me-163B "Komet", Meng Model 1:32

Hawker Hurricane Mk.IIc, Fly 1:32

MiG-15 bis Fighter, Trumpeter 1:32

Mikoyan MiG-17PF, Trumpeter 1:32

F-86F Sabre Jet "Skyblazers", Italeri 1:32

King Tiger Sd.Kfz.182 Porsche Turret, Takom 1:35

P-47D Thunderbolt (Gabreski), Hasegawa 1:32

Republic F-84G Thunderjet, Hobby Boss 1:32

Sopwith Pup RFC, Wingnut Wings 1:32

Colonial Viper MkII, Moebius Models 1:32

Fokker E.V, Avis Models 1:32

And this does not include all the AM that I bought for each of these.

I start to wonder if I need therapy, better self control, is there is a problem I need to address... or do I need to build more kits, and faster. What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

Not at all. I have an equal number of kits you can buy from me in an even shorter period of time. You can beat your previous record.

Right now around 250 unbuilt in the shop - my age plus  current building speed means no F'ing way they will all get done. So what - I'm good with browsing the stash to decide who's up next, but, lol, I've decided I'm topped out and if something new comes in something old has gotta go...it's your hobby - play it how you want....

I can totally relate.   My stash for the most part is back in the states in various locations.  I took only a limited amount of kits with me to Singapore.  One of my first purchases here in Sing was a silent compressor for my airbrushes.   ( Thanks again from a suggestion from Don H)  And now, I keep bringing back more & more "stuff" to pass the time.  I made a large order of aftermarket items just last week before I left the states.  My thinking and rational are those Yahu panels that might go the way of extinction someday.  I would be out of control looking for them if they ever disappeared.  Remember those Moskit exhausts you passed over several years back? ha!   

Again, some additional rational behind the thought process.  Those Yahu puppies don't take up ALL THAT MUCH SPACE in a hyper-expensive apartment, right?   Now if I could only find the three tubes of superglue gel I smuggled back from the 13 colonies.  For the life of me I can't find them!  *&^!!!!  I even took the packaging off the glue tubes to save on space in my suitcase.  I'm hoping the TSA inspection inside my suitcase when leaving the country got on the fingers on the TSA agent and he/she glued their damn fingers together!!!!!  just kindly saying........

My stash was growing to over 400 kits. Assuming I build about six a year (and realizing I'm in my 60's), that means.................

So, I made the decision to downsize by half (and I did, sold them off on Looneybay). Still way too many by my math, but at least it's a step in the right direction. But you know, what ever floats your boat!!!! My wife buys/breeds race horses for a hobby, so a $50-100 model means nothing compared to that. The first goal is to keep yourself happy, and fondling plastic does bring me a certain amount of good vibes!!! 

Its my hobby, and my passion. I figure we could be out spending much more and to get much less in return.    

Yes indeed. 

Even more scary is how much it all cost us!!

However, if I spent my money on another hobby like golf over the same amount of years I think it would work out a lot more than that.

Why do we do it? 'Cos it makes us happy dear friends.

If all else fails do what the wife does.................go SHOPPING!!!!!!!!! 

Happy days.  :P

I daren't think about how much this hobby has cost me over the 50+ years I've been doing it :o  But yes, it makes us happy, and "go shopping" sounds good. 

Well the ones we finish are priceless works of art, and the ones we don't are capital that can be sold,  in most cases,  for a profit. So no problems here.

I figure when you sell the kit it's always a profit.  If you build it you get no money back at all and don't have the kit in the stash any more: so any money you get back when you sell it is a gain.

Edited by MikeC

I am sitting here thinking about what kit I want to build next, I realized that in the last 30 days I have bought a lot of plastic. Last night, after my wife went to sleep, I went to my "stash" closet and was looking through my kits for a quickie project. I started opening boxes, fondling plastic, I even found a few pieces of AM I forgot I bought and stashed in the box. I then realized that I have quite a few kits. If I count everything including 1/72 and sci-fi BSG and SW stuff, I have over a hundred kits in my stash. So why is it that I still have a need to buy more kits? I must be off my rocker because I bought some more just recently.

Here is a list of what I bought since mid December:

MiG-15 bis Fighter, Trumpeter 1:32

And this does not include all the AM that I bought for each of these.

I start to wonder if I need therapy, better self control, is there is a problem I need to address... or do I need to build more kits, and faster. What do you guys think? Am I crazy?

Going to regret that one. 

I have a lot of kits just sitting there and waiting.... at the moment I have a STOP buying kits. The only thing is some aftermarket kits to upgrade the ones that PERHAPS will builded some day...

Only stars like Mirage 2000 or future RF-84F ...will be come in the stash ...perhaps...but nothing more.

I'm thinking selling kits that I will defenetly never build in this life....

Edited by Menelaos

I'm with Menelaos on this, and have stopped buying except for occasional 1/72 tiddlers (like the Airfix FG.1 Phantom, my only purchase in the last quarter).

However, if still alive when these actually emerge there are a number of enticing 1/32 wallet opening prospects:

Hong Kong FG.1/F-4K

Kitty Hawk Jaguars, RF-84F + F-84F

The forthcoming Lancaster is also tempting but so big, and the F-5E is a goer if Two Bobs scales up the Alconbury Gomers sheet, but I seem to be spending more on tools and materials right now.

Tony

Accumulating or collecting these kits is a phenomena of a particular type of human behavior. I am sure a psychologist or, better yet, a psychiatrist could come up with a better term. 

Collecting usually starts with building our kits and then buying more of the goodies than we can build and then we become collectors as well as builders. 

I once discussed this with a Jungian Psychiatrist and he ended up asking me to describe it as he was not afflicted with collectivism at all. Lucky chap.

My guesstimate is that it has something to do with the human need to find some sort of meaning in our otherwise normal, empty lives 

Some people spend all sorts of money on expendable hobbies, like gambling, drinking around in bars, just hanging arouind with friends, spending lots of time and money on sporting activities, sitting around watching TV endlessly and of course chasing women. Chasing the fair sex is one I found to be the most pleasurable but also guilt inducing so I will not discuss that further. Whatever you do avoid discussing that type of behavior with youir female friend, lover, wife because they will get pissed and beat you over the head with it the rest of your life. 

My Jungian friend also suggested that I should not worry about this model accumulating/collecting hobby because one can usually resell those kits we have not made yet and if not make a profit can often make our money back. So lighten up and enjoy our hobby, we only live once. 

By the way, women often enjoy the accumulating hobby but they often do it with jewelry. The get all this expensive jewelry and can adorn themselves with it when they go out. They decorate themselves with it.  Then, later in life when their hard working husbands die before their time from doing all this hard work to pay for the  jewelry they can survive by selling some of the real baubles and buy themselves a younger man who is more virile and will pay attention to whatever they say.  :blah:

So my fellow accumulators, relax and enjoy whatever it is you do. 

As we used to say in the 1960-70 era, Keep on Trucking   :punk: 

Having a large stash also gives me options - and it's not limited to only LSP.

My interest varies from subject to subject somewhat regularly and it's always cyclic. One week/month(s) I may be all into the F-4, then it will switch to Soviet WW2 armor, to NASA, to modern armor, to WW2 ships, and so on to other subjects. Eventually my interest will return to each, so my stash always has some of everything that interests me at any given time. Problem is that leads to too big of a stash so I try to keep it semi-reasonable to my preferred subjects in any interest subject.

Guest The Southern Bandit

LOL

The age old dilemma, every-time I buy a new 1/32 aircraft kit I have a guilt moment, trying to justify it to myself and I do that by saying ... OK I will sell XYZ on Ebay or whatever ... and sometimes I do, but still the stash mounts! it keeps growing and I cant stop it  LOL

Its an addiction we have for sure, but there are worse addictions.

I once switched from 1/48 Aircraft kits to 1/32 focus kits years ago ... and my reasoning was, eyseight not so good as I get older, the reasoning worked and it took me a while, but mostly I've sold all my favourite 1/48 Aircraft subjects and replaced with 1/32 ones now ... its a job just storing the kit boxes here space wise, never mind getting round to building them all and maybe eventually displaying them ... and at my pace that would take many lifetimes, LOL ... but you know, it doesn't matter, it really does not matter ... I like it, its pure luxury when I do eventually finish a build to then go peruse my stash and wonder what might be next to do, perhaps research it and then say ... Yup, its your turn to be built baby and pull that kit out of the stash :)

I guess Wine collectors with hundreds of bottles of fine wine they will never drink in their dark damp cobweb cellars do the same thing too?

So long as we enjoy what we do, thats all that matters.

Heh

Guest Peterpools

My “stash†days are over. After wrestling with turning 70 and looking at the modest stash, knowing I woukd still be buying the latest ‘most have' kits and knowing the time ahead is a lot less then the time behind, I decided to sell off the vast majority of kits that have been with me for years. I stopped kidding myself, knowing I would in reality never build them and they are anything but ‘money in the bank'.

Selling the majority of the stash was a ton of work and while the money rolled in, it surely was a lot less then what I paid for them. My stash today is still too big :18 kits (AM doesn't count), mainly limited run kits, resin and a very few of the latest gems I justhave to have.

I build a kit and buy a kit. The stash does grow as new limited run kits appear but I'm

also a lot more particular in what I buy.

I have friends that I see at evety model show trying their once prized older kits that, in all

honesty you can't give away: starting with all the beauties with raised panel lines. Time and technology march on.

Nope, no stash more then what I have.

Peter

It's not the question which kit to build or better said which kit can i build in my life time. It's rather for which kit can i get a proper jet pilot helmet to put it in display??

My modeling hobby went to a whole other dimension once i started to collect flight gear. Now i can couple my modeling hobby to my collection hobby, so another question raises, when i start a kit, is there a possibility to get the proper helmet for it :hmmm: