Simulated weight on tires

ericg

I think it matters to whomever wants it to matter- If we are doing all we can to make the model as realistic as possible, then that probably means bulging the tires to some degree. The same can be said for thinning certain things to be more realistically scale. These things are more important to me personally than say weathering, as paint and weathering are more subjective issues. I mean a factory fresh aircraft still weighs something and the thickness of a trailing edge does not get thicker or thinner over the life of the a/c.

In the end, one must also keep in mind that most modellers build to the best of their ability, and hopefully we all continue to improve and learn new things as we go.

Joe

With all honesty, I think we are collectively wasting too much grey matter on this.  :shrug:

Ron

This is a discussion forum isn't it? 

Grey matter or not, I am hoping some discussion on this subject may raise the standard of modelling somewhat, lest the fad continues to grow like the spanish style crap that gets bandied around most of the time very poorly.

Eric.

Sounds like a new type of model snobbery to me. First it was how much aftermarket you used, then panels lines/shading panels, now weighted tires. 

C'mon man....if you are going to cast a negative spin on an innocuous and harmless discussion like this....well....I guess I don't really know what to say.

I guess we all must be too fragile to have any discussions....

Edited by Bryan

100% with you on all of this Eric.  Careful observation is the key, on a Tiger Moth for instance there's very little deformation of the tyres, whereas a Lancaster.......!  My other pet point has been raised too, "scale thickness/thinness" for this is also a dead giveaway on let's say the leading edge of an undercarriage fairing.  When it comes to realism, the devil is in the detail!

Max

Ever put a ruler from the base to each wing tip of a model and realised that there is a mill or two difference?

Why wouldn't you flat spot the tyres not only for realism but to make the necessarry adjustment to bring everything level.

Best Regards

Captain dodgy!!

Personally I like adding flats to the tyres - gives the model the appearance of weight - but try not to overdo it (also try to thin prop blades/gear doors/trainling etc. where required  :) )

I just use a flat board with 240 grit wet and dry bonded on - like prepping vacs. Always done just by eye - and (as mentioned above) if it's a suitable subject, a little bulging on the sides from Milliput - but don't bother on most. A lot of aftermarket tyres are way overdone in this respect - purely IMHO.

Oleo/undercarriage length is another related subject - many kits have them moulded fully extended with 'no weight' on them - I'm often cutting legs apart to reduce the overall length and improve the 'sit' - and, again, that impression of weight.

Works for me - others' mileage will vary  :)

Iain

• 3 months later...

I know I've been away a bit, but would someone explain "Spanish" style to me if it's a suitable subject for a family forum.

BTW, I'm for a very gentle flattening of the tyres on any model, but only very little on civil aircraft of the sort I do (Golden era).  Bulging sides, much less so. Oleo leg suppression is only possible by observation/measurement, not always possible.

Martin

I know I've been away a bit, but would someone explain "Spanish" style to me...

Well, this really isn't a 100% gentlemen's forum but there are several aquired tastes one being Spanish; others are French and Greek... it all depends on your tastes really. Most of the ladies don't have a problem with French or Spanish...

I hope that helps! :)

Cheers

Alan

Alan,

I think I must be too old to care these days!

But any over egging of panel lines is NOT to my taste, which is strictly English.  I don't do military kites and all my experience of civil is that they are well kept, just an occasional bit of paint chipping sometimes. Bit of exhaust blackening maybe,odd staining from filling with fuel or oil, but nothing else.

It's like "oil canning". That only happens in flight.  I couldn't even discern bagging in canvas on the ground. Tight as a drum.

Martin

I have mixed feelings about this. For heavier subjects, and displayed on glass or simulated concrete, a little flattening seems appropriate. For displays on dirt/grass airfields, I generally don't bother. Considering the fact that I only really like abut 5% of all that I see (including my own seldom finished works), this is just one more minor aspect of modeling that frequently falls short.

As to the compliment culture, yes, there's way too much of that happening on the forums and modelling pages. I see way too many poorly done kits, that are followed by a string of "great job" stuff, and it really seems to serve no purpose at all.