1/18 Hawker Sea Fury - probably VX620..

• 4 weeks later...

Fablus work, as always! One little snippet of knowledge, some of the Sea Furies used in Korea had a Sten Gun clipped to the floor in front of the seat, just in case....... Not sure I'd want to by flying with one so close, though! My dad went through three on the range in his RAF training days, before they gave him one that functioned without falling apart, jamming, or crushing an unfired cartridge on ejection! 

Oops - I fell behind following this amazing build.  Don't feel bad about lack of engine detail!!  Yours will not have open cowl panels, and with that spinner cone, you can hardly see the cylinders anyway!!  Compare to the Corsair with no spinner cone at all and openable panels.  Apples and Oranges.  When I am detailing an item, and realize that it will not be seen, my enthusiasm suddenly drops off.

I have come to be somewhat familiar with how you do the major parts of these big models (fuselage, wings).   The only thing I see having changed is a bit more use of 3D print parts here and there to better assure the scratch-built sections are accurate.  Now I feel bad trying to 100% 3D print my Cripes A Mighty.  I am getting lazy - less and less am I trying to figure out how to fabricate a tough detail.  And more and more how to 3D print it.  Two different things, one requiring not as much ingenuity and skill.  At any rate, I now wonder if I might want to do something like what you do with the wings.  We are after all limited by how large our machines are.    

So far you are capturing the raw power look of this particular species.  Nice going!

So.  It appears the motor in a stock Sea Fury turns the wrong way.  If this is so, I assume there is a corresponding offset designed into the vertical stab to help keep it straight from time to time.  If these premises are true, then I wonder if the Unlimited Furies sporting R-4350s and such, which turn the other way, have had their tails surgically altered.

Howdy ladies :)

Thanks for all your kind comments :)

On 4/5/2024 at 2:39 AM, Archimedes said:

Thank you for sharing Peter,

It all looks so rational how you approach it. What is the grey filler you have put over the foam? Isopon?

Kind regards,

Paul

Hi Paul - yes, it's P38 car body filler - the God of fillers in my opinion :)

So, after a 3 week break in Bali things have been a bit slow on the Sea Fury - but some stuff has been done..

I made the gear legs by integrating brass and 3D. I assembled it all before I left and left it standing on my bench. By the time I got back, the wheel mount struts had completely warped under load proving what I suspected that the elegoo 8k resin I use just wasn't up to structural work. Having read up about strong ABS alternatives I went with eSun ABS like resin and printed the parts in that instead..

ml26NX.jpg

bbqT1T.jpg

..the great thing about 3D is you can get absolutely correct geometry and incorporate all the detail found on the original.. after clean up & prime it worked well and they seem strong enough but I am still testing load - if they fail, the lower wheel mount will be made in brass..

1pes8F.jpg

..also hopping about all over the place, I made the basic gear bay roof out of litho & plastic strut..

vjBVmq.jpg

and a centre rib in 3D with all the little valves & fittings..

..there is a TON of pipework in the bay..

tK5oii.jpg

..also made up the wingtips and finished the wing cores..

P2GZ80.jpg

nl2wI6.jpg

..another experiment was trying the IP in 3D - I usually make all this in PE, but as my supplier has a 5 week wait, I thought I would give it a go. The panel is 0.3mm thick so I thought there was little chance of success without warping, but again, I stuck lucky & it came out alright..

pAyFNe.jpg

MBeyEk.jpg

m9ki3L.jpg

Epvh1J.jpg

..time to get this cockpit worked up and properly sorted - I have a good basis now..

g1OVOg.jpg

pq8WGm.jpg

..it's a fun build - I am enjoying it :)

TTFN
Peter

Tremendous update Peter. Welcome back.

Can you see Airscale offering 3D printed cockpit components in the future?

The Sea Fury is really taking shape nicely given that you are experimenting with newer techniques.

Great job.