HK Models Bristol Beaufighter?

29 minutes ago, John1 said:

Never was a big fan of them until I read "A Separate Little War" about Coastal Command shipping raids in 1944-45.  Got fascinated with them after that and truly loved building the Tamiya Mossie.   I'll go out on a limb and say that this is kit is the best plastic model aircraft ever made. 

Aviaeology Beau decals just purchased. already decided what my subject will be.  Now to just wait patiently for a year or so in hopes that HK does indeed offer us this long-neglected aircraft.   

Well, I'll go out on that limb with ya! Built 2 of 'em and would like a third . Everybody complains they cost too much [and they are a little pricy] ,but ya get what ya pay fer.

14 hours ago, John1 said:

Great minds think alike.   My Mossie is lonely.  

VGjnbaZ.jpg?1

I mentioned the fascinating colors / markings of Coastal Command Beau's, here a taste of how wild some of those schemes are.    These decals are currently on sale, given the quality and rarity of them once they go OOP, I think I might roll the dice on HK actually offering up this kit and purchase them.   Just in case.....

AOD32010p1 – 404 Sqn Beaufighters – Black Friday & Later pt.1 – 32nd scale Decals 'n Docs (aviaeology.com)

Noiiiiiiiiice!

Kind regards,

Paul

There are a lot of Strike Wing Mossie models about ....:rolleyes:

What's really driving my enthusiasm for the Beau is that I like fairly close to what's left of both the Banff and Dallachy  bases up here in the NE of Scotland. The Banff field at Boindy is now a wind farm with a bunch of huge wind turbines  . Dallach is pretty well gone but the base looks out on a beautiful bay 

All this is by way of saying  I NEED as decent newly tooled Beau (ideally a T FX) on my work bench , as soon as possible 

PS "A Separate Little War" refenced above is a wonderful book, and a prime reference for any Strike wing build 

ObEZ7jJ.jpg

Edited by Scotsman

11 hours ago, Scotsman said:

There are a lot of Strike Wing Mossie models about ....:rolleyes:

What's really driving my enthusiasm for the Beau is that I like fairly close to what's left of both the Banff and Dallachy  bases up here in the NE of Scotland. The Banff field at Boindy is now a wind farm with a bunch of huge wind turbines  . Dallach is pretty well gone but the base looks out on a beautiful bay 

All this is by way of saying  I NEED as decent newly tooled Beau (ideally a T FX) on my work bench , as soon as possible 

PS "A Separate Little War" refenced above is a wonderful book, and a prime reference for any Strike wing build 

ObEZ7jJ.jpg

Great build and I know I'm taking this thread way OT so if you are inclined, maybe PM me but I'm thinking about going to Scotland for a week later this summer / early fall.   Wondering if it would worth going up to Banff (I'll primarily be in Edinburgh) or is there not much left of the old base?  

Edited by John1

It's a fair trek up from Edinburgh John - probably worth hiring a car because there's some stunning scenery and places to visit en-route - and the area around Banff is a lovely area to visit.

We have some family links to the general area (including nearby Findlater Castle - now a ruin) - so have visited a few times over the years.

Not a lot to see really at what was RAF Banff - but there is a memorial nearby on the A98.

Heading along the coast towards Inverness you also have the current RAF Lossiemouth (Typhoons and Poseidons), and former RAF Kinloss.

Some great distilleries if you're that way inclined, as well as the battlefield site at Culloden Moor.

As above, @Scotsman will be able to provide a far better insight to the local area than me though...  :)

Iain

But not to forget North Coates which was fairly successful and was mainly Beaufighters which sunk over 500,000 tons of shipping with a further 500,000 damaged.

It was a Bloodhound battery after the war and parts are still civil flying today.

Will Try and get some pictures as it's only 15 miles up the coast from here 

Picked this up from Helion not got into it yet but might start it sooner than later

Still available https://www.helion.co.uk/military-history-books/to-force-the-enemy-off-the-sea-the-story-of-the-rafs-north-coates-strike-wing.php?sid=b1956443f0975248f85290a3e61fe8dd

pnND4iXHj

58 minutes ago, LSP_Ron said:

There is also a Beaufighter at the US  Airforce Museum in Dayton Ohio. I forgot about that one.

IIRC they found that one in Australia, that one is the first one I'd seen in person. I was impressed.

On 3/22/2024 at 4:09 AM, John1 said:

I mentioned the fascinating colors / markings of Coastal Command Beau's, here a taste of how wild some of those schemes are.

I got wild ...

xMMDB1d.jpg

@John1   "Great build and I know I'm taking this thread way OT so if you are inclined, maybe PM me but I'm thinking about going to Scotland for a week later this summer / early fall. "

Don't forget to stop by the golf course at Lochmaben.  :thumbsup:

Edited by MikeMaben

Will buy any mark of Beaufighter if such emerges, including a stripey TFX, but am really after a Mk.VI.f with the AI Mk.VIII night fighter thimble nose (same thimble fit later housing Air-to-Surface Vessel optimised radar). 

It is a big metal beast compared to the Mosquito.

I just hope that any edition comes with both a Nav/Observer's gun type and Radar Navigator's simpler bubble type canopy blisters. Although the latter featured a bunch of drilled holes to equalise pressure and stop it steaming-up which will be a challenge to replicate. 

Revell missed a trick failing to provide both types of rear seat bubble in their 1:48 kits, especially in the first. I ended up buying neither kit even though I wanted one. 

Tony