Revell 1/24 N-1 Starfighter

The Madhatter

So last night, I had an epiphany regarding the lighting. I was playing around with the engine section last night working out what goes where etc when it dawned on me that I did not need to cast the engine cover end in clear resin. In fact, that was an incredibly bad idea. As it turns out, a simple clear plastic circle that's been sanded on one side to diffuse the light will be fine. And I'm glad I worked that out when I did as I was able to remove the semi dried resin before it fully cured against the cover. Also, I had run off in places I was not expecting, so again, good timing to be appreciated.

Anyway, I was having doubts on how I was going to be able to put the big spikey thing inside the cover when there would have been resin covering the opening. It was then I realised "crap, I hope I still have those discs I cut out of the end", as they already have the locating pins in place. Thank goodness I had the foresight to keep them just in case coz now is that case.
So, revised lighting plan. I am going to have to use filament as that is the only way I can get light within the space allocated. I bought a couple of 130mm filaments to wind onto the mounting nub. I'll drill 2 holes, one above the other and wind the filament around it. I also cut 2 grooves into the lower surface of the wing to allow the passing of wires into the body. I am contemplating on using the droid head as a push on/off button with a battery cell contained within his head (maybe - I haven't fully explored this yet - its just an idea). I'm hoping to avoid using an external plug

20240226_221445

Engine cover on:

20240226_221505

I also thinned down the edge of the cover to allow for a little more light to pass out

20240226_223041

The mid nozzle canter has been cast clear and looks really good

20240227_002405

20240227_002532

What I'm looking at doing now is cutting out the ring above the center so that too can be recast in clear. I think that'd look much better than just having the center section lit.

Also whilst I'm on the subject of the engines, there are some very dubious details here. Take for example this:

20240226_160203

That solid line on the lower right side is meant to be a pipe bent 90 degrees (I think). Well, you can remdy this. You can do it the easy way which would be to cut it off and replace it with brass, or you could try to make something out of it like this:

20240226_203256

I will hide that roughness with some PE ladder. Sad thing is, you can't really see this pipe once its inside the engine pod, but hey, its good practice right. This is my test mule

Onward and upwards as they say

Edited by The Madhatter

Thanks Matt. You've been a silent supporter for a long time, so I really appreciate your comment. 

The next layer of clear resin has been poured, so we'll see how that went later. I hope it works because I don't have a spare. I do have a mold though if worse comes to worse.

I am glad to say that the clear casting worked a treat!

20240228_003555

20240228_003653

I am almost finished the detailing too. I only have one more bay to do. I am keeping the detailing as simple as I can. No point in over doing it in this example

20240227_193320

20240227_193509

I've replace the 2 blank nubs at the end of the carburetor-like thing up front. Its funny how such a simple mod can have way more of an effect than adding wires etc:

20240227_232540

20240227_232727

20240227_232939

Well, that's all I have for now. I'm hoping to have some primer/paint on her very soon

20240227_203343

And some colour! The black is still wet which is why it looks a tad shiny now but once it dries, you won't notice it.

My phone camera is really picking up the shine on the pipes - particularly the green ones, making them seem uneven in coverage. Rest assured, i the plastic, it looks even.

Got black primer down on the inside if the hull which is good.

I bought a push on/off button today from Jaycar but it's too long! Will be back in the city on Monday so will try again as I also have to buy a button cell holder

20240301_232829

20240301_232857

20240301_232912

20240301_232925

Well, that's it for now, but it's coming along nicely. I am just waiting on my LED filament to arrive and then I can get the engines done
I'll prime the upper surfaces of the ship ready for the real colour. So cant wait
See you again soon
Si