Revell 1/24 N-1 Starfighter

The Madhatter

hey all

I'm sorry: I couldn't stop myself. I tried, but I just could not resist it - I have to stop work on the Star Destroyer and build this brand new, highly anticipated (by myself) kit of The Mandalorian's personal hotrod.

Like a lot of Mando fans, I was really taken by his modified N-1 Fighter. Personally, I thought it was a bit of a daft craft for a bounty hunter, but why let little details like that ruin a cool ship? Also like a lot of other fans, I decided to try my luck and try find a kit of an N-1 to modify. It came as no surprise to find there was a rush on 1/48 N-1's from AMT or, if you were lucky enough to find one for less than the price equal to Australia's entire GDP, the Fine Molds kit.

So, as you can imagine, I was super mega excited to hear Revell were making a large scale N-1.

I couldn't wait for April to get it here in Aus, so I went on Amazon. I got mine sent to me from the UK for free postage andf I can now see why it was free: it came in a paper satchel - resulting in a rather squished box. Upon first review, I thought nothing had been broken but alas no, one of the lower engine frames has bent and broken. Some of the sprues look a little warped as well. However, it's nothing that can't be and hasn't already been fixed.

For those interested in this subject, you would have already seen the sprue shots for this kit, so I won't post pics of that stuff. I will show you some stuff that the promo pics do not show you.

Unfortunately, my excitement has diminished a little bit upon dry fitting the hull and inserts and just in the overall quality of this kit. I am not a public basher of manufacturers by any stretch. I am stoked to have this subject represented at all. But this, sadly, is slightly disappointing, especially after their stellar work on the Razor Crest, which is an awesomely detailed kit with really sharp, well defined details.

However, with this kit, I am finding the quality of the detail to be the total opposite to the Razor Crest. They just look toy-like.

There is a common complaint with which I agree; the really prominent Revell logo and licensing stamp on the lower hull. I mean, that was just a really stupid decision to add that to the outside of the hull and not the inside. It was probably a directive from the Mouse. Who knows, but it's a quick and easy sand job to remedy. No big deal.

There are big gaps ahead - especially around the hull joins but its possible that they may not need to muck filler. I won't be able to tell until its actually glued

Here's a couple of pictures showing what I mean about the quality:

20240222_200849

20240222_182230

20240222_200824

20240222_182224

The above picture is a prime example of my disappointment. Have a look at how much of a gap there is between the edge of that detail and the lower hull and how it just hovers over the hull. None of it looks natural. This is what I mean by it looking like a toy.

20240222_200642

20240222_200621

20240222_182330

There is a pretty decent void that can accommodate some more plumbing and other such detail, so that is exactly what I shall do.

I give it 3 months before someone produces a 3D printed replacement set for this kit. I'd buy it. Also a replacement cockpit. Whist the kit is OK, its a bit dull.

For this build, lights and so on will be a give in - no point really in saying that. However, I'm thinking I might add in some Raytheon lighting to some of the machine wells. That could be quite cool.

But what excites me the most about this build is the intended paint scheme. I so can't wait to apply the choice I have in mind. It'll look so cool (I hope)

So, if you're on the fence about this kit, maybe I can help you with your decision making over the next couple of weeks. I'll show as many issues as I find but to be honest, I am still happy I got it. There is heaps of room for improvement and it makes for a brilliant platform to express some creativity.

Work on this starts Saturday

Till then, stay cool till after school

Si

Edited by The Madhatter

I've managed to get some additional detail in but am still working out how to detail the upper surface of the bottom hull plate in a way that it doesn't interfere with the upper hull. There's not as much room as I initially thought. I'm thinking of adding something directly behind the bars which should help hide that ugly space

While I'm here, I may as well post some pics. I have started getting the engines ready for lighting and  have prepped the nozzles etc ready for lighting. I'm using a method I saw on YT where I am recasting the center part in clear resin. This way, I won't loose any detail and I get a nice clear plate to shine light though:

However, I will not be using filament as a light source. It's just too much.

20240223_172405

20240223_155258

20240223_171908

Check out the awesome sink marks:

2024-02-23_11-25-38

As I was saying earlier, I have cut out some missing panels so it looks a little less toy like:

20240224_133542

20240224_133553

I've also hollowed out some of the material in the leading edge of the wing:

20240223_234208

20240223_234208

20240225_181215

Couple of scratches to get out there....

And finally, the main interior part so far:

20240225_181105

20240225_181059

So yeah, that's where I'm at with it. One thing that will be a challenge is the cockpit instrument panel. I'm not sure how I will tackle the lighting there. I haven't really given it a lot of thought TBH
Anyways, will keep at it
See you all again soon
Si

I have also thinned out the panels so they look like panels resting on ribs as opposed to be molded on

Before:

20240225_222735

After:

20240225_224553

20240225_224701

20240225_225857

20240225_225906

20240225_230354

20240225_233540

I'm getting there slowly. I'm finding it easier to detail in this scale. Being 1/24 is very handy as I can use things like ECU's from race cars as extra detail. Mind you, I am on the fence as to whether or not this is actually 1/24. It feels a bit more like 1/32. I used a scrap panel from an aircraft which is 1/32 in the cockpit and it fits the scale well (comparing the existing detail to the new).

So yeah, so far so good. I think that the thinning of those panel edges has way more effect than just adding detail and is a must if you get this kit and want to make it less toy-like. It's a very simple enhancement that takes not long at all to do. I used a .2 engraving chisel to do the rib edges at the base of the panel

See you again soon

Si

Nice detailing is going on in here, although I am not a Star Wars guy, I love Mando series and enjoying your progress tremendously.

Cheers

Martin

Just a quick question for our moderators, even though this is purely fictional plane, it is 1/24 scale. Wouldn't it be better suited in LSP - WIP section?