Revell 1/24 N-1 Starfighter

The Madhatter

3 hours ago, Neo said:

how do you paint pipes like this

With a lot of patience, a decent paint brush and thin paint :) I used to hate painting because I sucked at it, so I've had to put in the extra yard to get my stuff looking halfway OK, like a lot of others here too I dare say.

I had a rather unfortunate paint mishap yesterday.  I just finished putting down the final black coat and had it looking beautiful when one of the clips holding the body failed, sending the whole lot to the floor. Needless to say, I was not a happy little Vegemite. So I stripped it right back to plastic and had to start again.

I have a question though. Am I safe to spray Alclad black gloss over Mr Color and vise versa? The Mr Color being labelled GX

4 hours ago, The Madhatter said:

managed to get a good result using the Alclad over the Mr Color. No reactions with the paint thankfully. I have been burnt before.

Looks good. Nice glassy finish. Shame it's going to be coloured over

20240304_193210

Wow that a smooth pait job.

Looks like something Batman would fly

Edited by Neo

Posted (edited)

Good morning everyone! hope we are all well and good?

Things are progressing nicely. I have base colour coated the body and some other bits and bobs. Just one more gear bay to finish painting and then those will all be done.

My LED filaments arrived yesterday and I am really excited to try these out for the first time. I can already think of a number of projects where these filaments can be of use.

However, not to get ahead of myself and to bring things back on subject, I'll stop writing and post some pics

Starting with the small and menial stuff, the rear small engine nozzle has been masked ready for paint:

20240304_223518

Speaking of said read engine, I have added a couple of details to spruce it up a little, but not a lot. I have also been carving out the space between the nozzle and the brackets holding it to give it more the appearance that it's being cradled rather than molded on I also added some left over mesh to the underside - again, more for aesthetics than function. You can see the shavings in the space it was talking about:

20240305_214900

20240305_220635

20240305_223044

The cockpit gauges etc have all been painted. Just need to sort out the lighting and how I'm going to do it (still).

20240306_120236

20240306_120313

20240306_120318

and lastly, the carby thing up front is also finished - not that there was much to do on it. I may still add some more hose to it- especially the bits on the side - they look incomplete somehow.

2024-03-06_12-06-22

Now, I do have a photo of the bottom half of the ship in its base colour coat but if I share it, it will give away the scheme I have in mind and I don't want to do that just yet.

There is not much left to do build-wise other than the engines and wings, but I should be able to get all that done this weekend (built and wired - not painted)

Now, this but may seem cheesy, but I just want to give a shout out to the small enterprise in Tassy that fulfilled my filament order, LED Sales. https://www.ledsales.com.au/

They are a small outfit but man, they stock some really cool stuff for a very good price (on par or better than some of those cheap Chinese sellers on eBay, and I'd much rather support the local guy). If your in Oz, then I can not recommend this place high enough as a place to go to get your electronics stuff from. More range than Jaycar and a lot cheaper too.

As always guys, thank you very much for stopping in and having a look.

I'll be back soon enough with more

Till then, stay cool till after school

Si

Edited by The Madhatter