America the beautiful

While visiting Coffee Creek, northern California, in the summer of 1989, our siesta was interrupted by short bursts of heavy automatic gun fire.

We investigated and found three septogenerian gentleman taking turns to fire a .5 Browning machine gun at targets they had set up in a disused quarry, located a few miles down the valley from our cabin. The Browning was mounted on a substantial steel baseplate carried in the bed of a big Ford pickup. 

Three things about that afternoon shine in my memory. Those gentleman were very fine, hospitable people, whose care and concern for our safety was real. Their gun had seen service in heavy bomber aircraft. Those Browning rounds excavated rock with some drama and enormous noise.

I would not want a weapon like that pointed in my direction, never mind fired.

13 hours ago, JeepsGunsTanks said:

machine guns are SO MUCH FUN!

I can attest to this.  From 2003 to about 2013, I held various FFLs and ultimately paid the tax to become a Class III SOT.  During my time as a dealer, I owned MP40s, an MP43/1 (precursor to the StG44), an M1A1 Thompson, a pair of MG34s, an M53 (Yugo MG42 copy) that was a reweld, a Krinkov, an MP5/40, and a G36 along with a bunch of other esoteric crap

Not once did someone get done shooting a machine gun of mine and turn around to say "ho hum."  Every single person who ever fired one turned around with a big grin on their face, proclaiming "that was awesome!"  Even my 65 year old mother got a huge kick out of the MP5.  I once went to a shoot in Michigan's UP, where we took the M53, linked 500 rounds of belts together and just let it run from the lafette mount.  It made it about halfway before it jammed.  My friend called it the "friendship belt."

I ended up selling it all between 2013 and 2017 as I just got tired of it.  I'd gotten everything I ever wanted and there was no more thrill of the chase.  Things were too expensive and with a young kid around, it wasn't money I wanted to spend anymore.  I picked up modeling in late 2013 and have never looked back.

I totally respect the opinion of people who do not wish to associate with guns.  All I ask is that same respect in return.

I carried when I lived in Richland county. Yea, the same on that use to be on Live PD and now on another app by a different name.  I still have something handy when I venture back over there. 

Now I’m out in the country on a lake.  I feel naked walking to the mailbox if I’m not carrying due to coyotes and other forms of wildlife. LOL!  Honestly, I’m only worried about the wildlife if they happen to be rabid or deer during the rut.  Mostly they will haul ass if they see people. 

Weapon ownership is one of those things for which cultural differences are already very important in western world countries. So it is very difficult to understand that what is obvious in a country is absolutely not in another one. Even among the majority of LSP members (coming from Anglo-Saxon countries) there is no commonality. So indeed we should simply respect each other habits even if guys from the 'other side' may look like aliens... :rolleyes:

2 hours ago, thierry laurent said:

Weapon ownership is one of those things for which cultural differences are already very important in western world countries. So it is very difficult to understand that what is obvious in a country is absolutely not in another one. Even among the majority of LSP members (coming from Anglo-Saxon countries) there is no commonality. So indeed we should simply respect each other habits even if guys from the 'other side' may look like aliens... :rolleyes:

Well put! 

Beautiful indeed. https://abcnews.go.com/US/116-people-died-gun-violence-day-us-year/story?id=97382759

I see my last politically neutral comment was deleted and I expect this to be deleted too. This site is ostensibly "no politics" but posts like this are allowed to stay up.