Thoughts about Possible Future Kotare Releases - NOT a wishlist

MikeC

15 minutes ago, Johnny Cloud said:

I'm not sure how this could NOT become a wishlist but here's my take.

Kotare seems to be making the lesser known and/or produced variants of iconic planes: Spitfire, 109, ???

It's a smart move that makes perfect sense.

For this reason I would think a P-51B, F4U-4 or Hurricane Mk.IIc are obvious contenders and let's not even mention the Hellcats.

If I were to make a wishlist, which I am not; this list which is not a wishlist would be IMO an excellent wishlist.

2 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

With Kotare, nothing much would surprise me. After all they just popped out with a-109K, I don't think ANYBODY here was expecting that, I know I wasn't.

Nope ... completely skittled with that one!

TBH I'm not really all that bothered to know what they are aiming at either - I'll probably buy it regardless ... Surprises are nice sometimes!

I had absolutely no interest in WNW until the Lancaster was announced - Not in my wheelhouse subject wise ... But I saw everyone raving about them.

I know these guys like Spitfires and other than the Tamiya 3 we have no detailed and accurate representation in '32 scale (with the possible exception of the Hasegawa / Revell kit from WAY back). So early or late ... I'll buy as many as they make ... extras too, considering the values that some of the WNW kits were fetching on e-Bay!

They could release a RNZAF Skyhawk for all I know ...

More than likely to be subjects that NZ have operated at some point I would have thought? ...

... Or (like the Brian Lane Spitfire) subjects that are allied focused?

The 109K is a welcome addition ... and looking forward to the rest

Rog :)

40 minutes ago, Pup7309 said:

Personally I find Hellcats meh but possible. How about a P-38? If Tamiya doesn’t go 32nd?

Honestly I'd say a very well known aircraft/airframe like a F6F, P-47 or P-38 (although IMHO the latter slightly less likely because of size and complexity) would be more likely than some.

Almost anyone who knows anything about WWII or likes aviation knows what a Hellcat, Jug and Lightning are.

As was stated above, I also think they are much less likely to re-do 1/32 kits that have been previously put out by Tamiya, think P-51, F4U, A6M2 and such. Although they did do a Spitfire, it was a completely different bird than Tamiya did.

2 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

Honestly I'd say a very well known aircraft/airframe like a F6F, P-47 or P-38 (although IMHO the latter slightly less likely because of size and complexity) would be more likely than some.

Almost anyone who knows anything about WWII or likes aviation knows what a Hellcat, Jug and Lightning are.

As was stated above, I also think they are much less likely to re-do 1/32 kits that have been previously put out by Tamiya, think P-51, F4U, A6M2 and such. Although they did do a Spitfire, it was a completely different bird than Tamiya did.

Agree the p-38 is quite big. Just a personal preference prefer wildcat to Hellcat and Corsair or p-51 to Jug. But not saying what they should or will bring out one way or other. I’d like to be a fly on the wall when they’re deciding whether to do a Spit VIIII, P-51, Zero or Corsair. I think if they can turn coin they will. People will buy these even though the Tamiya ones are fairly perfect ( except for boyish extras which got less over time. ) 

As mentioned they might take on p40s maybe a ki43. 

I honestly don't wish for anything right now.  I'll buy the K, but don't really have a vision for one.  Same thing with the Spitfires.  Got one...  don't really need another.

The K really knocked me off my feet.  But it does open the door for all of the /AS versions and G-10.  So, I can see the logic, there.

Where they go next...   They are still a young company.  I don't see them taking risks with trainers and other non-mainstream stuff.  I think jets will be too big and too risky.

There's plenty to choose from and they could probably do a better job than anyone before them.  Whatever they make, I'll probably buy at least one.

WNW did not fail because of their “obscure” offerings. All was much more complicated at the time.

Before WNW most WWI era subjects were not well known.  They were it turned out selling cool planes with colorful markings, historically significant and at not a bad price.  And planes that they loved to design.

1 hour ago, Rick Griewski said:

WNW did not fail because of their “obscure” offerings. All was much more complicated at the time.

Before WNW most WWI era subjects were not well known.  They were it turned out selling cool planes with colorful markings, historically significant and at not a bad price.  And planes that they loved to design.

No offence Rick, but WnW's has been discussed to eternal death, and some, let's move on from that.

I think we should bear in mind that Kotare's approach to kits is very different from Tamiya's or ZM's. Kotare creates highly detailed, easy to build kits without unnecessary extras or elaborate representation of the inner workings! It is therefore quite possible that in the future Kotare will release aircraft types that have already been released by other manufacturers. The key factor will be that the kits sell well, as Kotare is a young company that needs to build a solid business base.

I think we will see a P-51 B/C and a Griffon Spitfire at some point.

If Kotare also wants to continue releasing German aircraft in the future, a Bf109 G-10 (Mtt. and WNF production) or Bf109 G-14/AS (Mtt. production) would be obvious.

Or they could take the big, lucrative step and release a Fw190 Dora (D-9 and D-11/13)! While there are enough kits of the radial engine Fw190 (Hasegawa, Revell, ZM and in the future Trumpeter), for the inline engine Fw190 there are only the options of the old Hasegawa kit and - sometime in the distant future - the one from ZM!

Judging by the many Papageienstaffel builds on this forum alone, I think Kotare is going to make millions with the Fw190 Dora!

Edited by Martini_Man
Spelling mistake

I'm not sure of the NZ connection, it is more of an extra benefit in my opinion ;)

However, points I would consider if I were financing things:

• create something that people are interested enough in to buy multiples and/or variants.
  • interesting and varied paint schemes (see above)
  • can lead to other versions (like the Spitfire)
  • keep at a roughly fixed price point (hopefully)
  • decent size/complexity (see point above)

Based on this, as much as I like them, a P-38 (big/complex) or F6F (blue/blue/white, blue.... also the FAA schemes are quite standardized and pretty much look alike) or A6M3 (limited opportunity for version models and not that famous) would not be very likely.

What may be likely would be a later Allison P-40E/K/M/N, or an un-complexed (so not like Trumpeter or Z-M) series of P-47C/D Razorback, a bubbletop P-47D/N, or a P-51B/C. :)

Edit: and as posted above, Fw190D-9?

Jeroen

Edited by jeroen_R90S