Building the Border 1/35 Kate. Got paint!

quang

Thank @spyrosjzmichos @Reuben L. Hernandez for your comments. 
Glad you like it. There’s much more to this kit than meets the eye especially details you’re only aware when you start building it.

Anyhow, the beat goes on…THE KATE GOT HER WINGS.

Wing folds and wheel wells are painted with aotake. Basically an anti-corrosion paint, it was a clear varnish tinted with pigment so that it could be checked anywhere it was applied. Colours range from blue to green and anything in between.

For my special brew I used a mix of Tamiya clear LP-9 + LP-81 Mixing Blue and applied it on a Mr Color 8 silver base.

IMG-4993.jpg

IMG-4995.jpg

The leading edge is provided as a separate part thus ensuring a correct wing thickness while eliminating the usual unsightly seam.

IMG-4998.jpg

Fowler flaps (workable) added an inner wing assembled.

IMG-4999.jpg

The generous wing root is also a separate part and fit the fuselage with a perfect seam.

IMG-5002.jpg

IMG-5003.jpg

Ditto with the underside…

IMG-5108.jpg

IMG-5111.jpg

Tail feathers added. The Kate is ready for the final assembly and the painting…

IMG-5114.jpg

… yet not before masking (inside and out) the EXTENSIVE glasshouse which took me a whole evening. :BANGHEAD2:
IMG-5136.jpg

IMG-5141.jpg

Primer added, ready to be installed for final painting.
IMG-5142.jpg

That’s it, folks.

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang

• quang changed the title to Building the Border 1/35 Kate. Got wings!

amazing workmanship there, are you going to get the carrier deck for it ? 

Looking at your build even if i have zero interest in the airframe it looks so well made i kinda want to build one!

Quang - great job on the glasshouse. - I do not doubt the time and effort that took.

Thank you for the inside line on the Aotake mix you used - that looks very well.

…and as for the kit itself: the oil canning looks subtle and varied enough to be very convincing.

I am enjoying your build enormously.

Kind regards,

Paul

12 minutes ago, MikeMaben said:

:speak_cool::coolio::popcorn:

:P

7 hours ago, ChuckD said:

That looks great, Quang.  With the announced price tag of the Infinity Model kit, this may have to be the Kate for me. 

I love the idea of the leading edge as a separate part.  Brilliant.

I looked at the Infinity sprues. I don’t think their engineering is as innovative as Border’s.

4 hours ago, Neo said:

amazing workmanship there, are you going to get the carrier deck for it ? 

No, I won’t get the carrier deck.

Albeit during my research for the Kate, I’m getting uncomfortably attracted by IJN aircraft carriers, notably the Shokaku. :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, Neo said:

Looking at your build even if i have zero interest in the airframe it looks so well made i kinda want to build one!

This is an instance when you buy a kit not for the subject but just for the sheer pleasure of building it.

3 hours ago, Archimedes said:

great job on the glasshouse. - I do not doubt the time and effort that took.

You should have seen how the 7 elements fit one inside the other like some matryoshka Russian dolls (sorry Jack).

2 hours ago, scvrobeson said:

This looks really sweet, and a thoughtfully engineered kit. This gets more interesting with each new update

I’m discovering new details as I go along just like on a wild Easter egg hunt.

Thank you all for your comments,

Cheers,

Quang

Haha! Thank you guys!

Already feeling like Madame Butterfly :P
IMG-5160.jpg

Before going further, I think it’s a good idea to check how the power egg fits into the fuselage. This is one area I dread the most with these trendy super-detailed, exposed engine. The assembly can be so complex that without knowing it, one can end up with an upside down engine or even worse, a slightly distorted alignment.

The instructions have you complete the engine/cowling assembly first, then add the power egg to the complete fuselage.

The complete power egg…

IMG-5150.jpg

The pessimist in me chose to do it in several steps : first install the engine alone, take my time to adjust the alignment then when everything is to my liking, add the cowling.

The engine is attached to the fuselage firewall by a 6 pin-and-slot arrangement.

Here how it appears onthe back of the engine…

IMG-5151.jpg

…and on the fuselage firewall.
IMG-5153.jpg

When the pins meet their corresponding slots, the assembly is secure and fool-proof.
IMG-5154.jpg

I chose to glue the engine at this early stage even before painting the whole airframe.

The spaces between the cockpit openings are painted in cockpit green and waiting for their glass ware.
IMG-5155.jpg

The cowling is dry-fitted for the moment and will be securely attached at the end of the build.

I couldn’t resist adding The iconic blue-black paint is Gunze Nato black with an overcoat of Tamiya Clear tinted with Gunze 326 Thunderbirds blue.
IMG-5156.jpg

Greenhouse closed (dry-fitted)
IMG-5157.jpg

Greenhouse opened

IMG-5158.jpg

That’s all for now, folks

Thank you for looking.

Until next time,

Cheers,

Quang