Recce Voodoo

Dandiego

Alright, have a look at what arrived on my doorstep today. 

About a week ago our fellow member Scjh unveiled his ambitious Voodoo project. It has been meet with an enthusiastic response. We have been corresponding for several months regarding his triple threat project. F-101A, RF-101A/C and F-101B. I have been asking about his timeline as I was anxious about when he might begin production and begin releasing completed kits. His work is still progressing, and he doesn't have a firm release schedule as of yet.

With all that in mind I asked him if he could possibly send me an RF fuselage. He said yes, details were worked out,  and today it arrived. My plan is to marry his fuselage to my old Combat Models Vac wings. Should be interesting and super fun. Since this is still a work in progress for Scjh I will be adding lots of details of my own. Maybe even a few Dandiego designed parts. Sit down, strap in and hold on!

Here are some photos of what I received. Remember this is a work in progress and Scjh will be making corrections and additions as time goes on.

First I have to say that I am very impressed with the size and shape of this baby. Looking forward to getting things started. But since I have several builds in progress this one will move a little more slowly  until I get a few other projects finished.

6uBDDhc.jpg

m8IWp9p.jpg

I also have parts for the horizontal tail.

DHO3nFh.jpg

Thanks, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

OK, lets take a closer look at what I have.

Starting at the tail. This is a nice solid print. You can see some indentations around some of the recessed detail. SC believes that he can tweek the print settings when he begins full scale production and eliminate them. For me with this sample print I will fill with putty and sand smooth.

b7BCD8n.jpg

Next, rear section of main fuselage. Once again really solid with internal supports. Red marker highlights some vents that I will be improving.

r25uiZU.jpg

P47m4yA.jpg

Cockpit section.

Y14xPzR.jpg

Nose section.

H9iQjgK.jpg

More to follow, Dan

So let's look at the Combat Vac vs the 3d print.

First the vac is big and the plastic is thin. Which makes the vac flimsy. Which makes it harder to work with. Lots of work just to assemble the parts and have them hold up.

IRZ6Bpv.jpg

What about shapes? Lets compare the two kits.

Nose shapes are very close.

jjD0kjq.jpg

PGxwpUp.jpg

Actually the vac kit has a really good shape and compares well in all areas, except one.

qhOPUzv.jpg

KAZ5ds8.jpg

aplgNLa.jpg

Where is the issue? The underside of the fuselage on the vac is flat. Should have bulges for the engine nacelles. This is a limitation of the vac process.

ObTx8Kk.jpg

Another issue with vacs, there is almost always a difference from one side to the other. Hard to get absolute symmetry when making something by hand and by eye.

No disrespect to the person who made this kit. It was state of the art 30 years ago. But now, design one side of a fuselage and the computer will give you an exact mirror image.

That's all for today.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Yeah, I thought about it. 

But the vac model surface has it's own issues.  An uneven surface, really rough panel lines and lots of dimples left over from the vac process.

I have already begun smoothing out the 3d print lines. It's not that bad.

Stay tuned....

Dan

A small update.

I have added a small square hole in the aft end of the speed brake well to accommodate the actuation cylinder.

pOZgzAX.jpg

6RubAHp.jpg

Here are the exhaust cans. This was designed by my friend Chad. Apparently he had been working on a Voodoo in the past and offered me a few goodies. He also sent me the drop tanks and the intakes. I had to resize Chads exhaust cans to fit the fuselage by a positive 12%.

jeKxxqG.jpg

U4t7C0N.jpg

And some components of the tail.

9u7WQqJ.jpg

That's all, Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Slowly working on the Voodoo nose and camera bays. Here you see the forward camera station in the nose. I installed a camera made out of plastic tubing and the glued on the window. It is just a thin piece of clear plastic glued onto the flat face on the nose. It will be trimmed to shape.

JMNQJvW.jpg

Next are some 3d printed cameras, fresh off of the printer and in situ.

zhgnaVv.jpg

oHT8a6z.jpg

And last for today is my first version of the main wheel bays.

zipUGmO.jpg

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

• 2 months later...

Ok. Time to get going on the Voodoo again.

Here is my work on adding camera windows. I have filed down the area around the window and have glued on a piece of clear sheet.

tUeU6TA.jpg

And a piece of clear sheet glued to the bottom of the nose for the camera windows on the bottom.

g6rcPE4.jpg

Stay tuned.

Dan