ICM 2024 Releases

Dennis7423

13 hours ago, Iain said:

I'm surprised re. reference to 'Quarter Scale' being controversial - I remember it as a child looking at the then exotic imports from the USA of 'Monogram' kits - and, yes, always understood it as 1/4 inch to the foot.

To check my memory - as I often have to do these days - I found these from the 1960s - advert is dated 1967.

48b427_13eeb58be15e4eba99ea9f7719f74c53~

And from https://archive.aeroscale.net:

48b427_1e8c81d4738b4504b882f8ef92d51108~

Who says nostalgia isn't what it used to be, eh? :D

Iain

There's a memory: I remember building that B-66 back in the day, istr that you could drop the bomb by pressing a button on the top.

12 hours ago, Iain said:

It's 1:35 for aviation subjects that gives me the personal jitters! :D

Iain

Yep, me too.  I imagine someone at a particular model company confessing to his boss that he'd made a typo in a proposal for a model and put "5" instead of "2" (it's possible, look at the number pad on a computer keyboard), and being hugely relieved that perhaps he's got away with it. :)

11 hours ago, Iain said:

I wouldn't disagree Brian!

I'm not a great fan of Imperial measurement anyway - I blame the Brits... :rolleyes:

Iain

And yet we all model in scales directly related to and based on Imperial measurements.  1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 have a direct series relationship (32 x 1.5 = 48 etc). :hmmm:

I'm equally comfortable with both systems and use whichever is easiest or more appropriate for whatever I'm doing.  For modelling, if the original was built using Imperial measurements that's what I'll use, it makes the arithmetic so much easier when scaling something like a marking; similarly for something originally built in metric.

Fun fact (assuming my memory is correct): the BAe Hawk was the first British-designed aircraft to use metric standards.

Edited by MikeC

Mm, scale was more fun when Uncle Greg, my modelling mentor, explained scale thus;

The single number shows how many models should be viewed at one time and the bigger number shows how many inches from that model the viewer should be.

I used mum's tape measure from her sewing box. I never ever used a meter. Stopped doing it when I built the Airfix model of HMS Hood. Bedroom wasn't big enough.

Cheers

2 hours ago, MikeC said:

I'm equally comfortable with both systems and use whichever is easiest or more appropriate for whatever I'm doing.  For modelling, if the original was built using Imperial measurements that's what I'll use, it makes the arithmetic so much easier when scaling something like a marking; similarly for something originally built in metric.

I didn't say I wasn't comfortable with Imperial measurements - just that I prefer working using the metric system - but that's what I grew up with.

The physical distances between two points are the same - whether counted in mm, or furlongs!  ;)

Iain

1 hour ago, Iain said:

... The physical distances between two points are the same - whether counted in mm, or furlongs!  ;)

Iain

Indeed so.  Which means that I measure in whatever is most convenient.  I have absolutely no preference, and would hate for one or the other to fall so far out of favour there was no way of measuring it without resorting to conversions.

And I have a steel rule graduated in both systems, and the inches are graduated in 1/32" divisions - SO convenient for direct measuring for a model. :)

I am from the Antediluvian era when a common scale for a range of kits was a new, exciting and sensible thing for those of us wanting to build a coherent collection of models, and a massive step up from the 'fit the box' kits that had been the norm until then.  So, having settled on 1:32 decades ago, confirmed by the arrival of the WingNut range of kits, I am not going to change, or have inconsistent members in my collection. I have realized railing against these 1:35 kits is pointless, I now simply ignore them, in the same way I ignore, as far as thinking of buying them goes, 1:43 racing cars, or z gauge railways, or 1:6th action figures. I can still admire the technical and artistic skills of anyone building such things, but for me, nope, just not interested. That demand for coherence in my collection is hardwired!

And now of course, with 3D printing and CAD, I can just make EXACTLY what I want, to EXACTLY the scale that I want! I am not beholden to any manufacturer, I am free!

I still think 1:35 is a bonkers scale though, and always has been..... But that is another story.

2 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Some how we are a long way away from ICM possible future releases now……….:huh:

:sorry:

But to try to reconnect, the DH Chipmunk and Jet Provost were, I think, built using Imperial, and the Chippie would be a great release by ICM, as would a Provost/JP/Strikemaster series. :please:

Edited by MikeC

4 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

I am from the Antediluvian era when a common scale for a range of kits was a new, exciting and sensible thing for those of us wanting to build a coherent collection of models, and a massive step up from the 'fit the box' kits that had been the norm until then.  So, having settled on 1:32 decades ago, confirmed by the arrival of the WingNut range of kits, I am not going to change, or have inconsistent members in my collection. I have realized railing against these 1:35 kits is pointless, I now simply ignore them, in the same way I ignore, as far as thinking of buying them goes, 1:43 racing cars, or z gauge railways, or 1:6th action figures. I can still admire the technical and artistic skills of anyone building such things, but for me, nope, just not interested. That demand for coherence in my collection is hardwired!

And now of course, with 3D printing and CAD, I can just make EXACTLY what I want, to EXACTLY the scale that I want! I am not beholden to any manufacturer, I am free!

I still think 1:35 is a bonkers scale though, and always has been..... But that is another story.

Well me old fossil, we’re cut from the same cloth! :D

4 hours ago, wunwinglow said:

I have realized railing against these 1:35 kits is pointless, I now simply ignore them, in the same way I ignore, as far as thinking of buying them goes, 1:43 racing cars, or z gauge railways, or 1:6th action figures. 

That ignore policy is the one I've been adopting lately, specifically when it comes to spending my money on 35th scale fixed wing stuff, and will continue indefinitely without a doubt. Some like them, but I will not ever be spending my money on them. 

Ignoring those releases seems the best policy at this point. 

4 hours ago, Ali62 said:

Some how we are a long way away from ICM possible future releases now……….:huh:

Yes, that could be partially my fault, so back to your regularly scheduled ICM talk.

In theory, their 2024 catalog will drop within the next week or so, and then we'll be able to truly assess whether or not they intend to release anything in 1/32 this calendar year, aside from the Hs-123. Then, we will most definitely get back to talking ICM!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

5 hours ago, Out2gtcha said:

That ignore policy is the one I've been adopting lately, specifically when it comes to spending my money on 35th scale fixed wing stuff, and will continue indefinitely without a doubt. Some like them, but I will not ever be spending my money on them. 

Ignoring those releases seems the best policy at this point. 

Yes, that could be partially my fault, so back to your regularly scheduled ICM talk.

Well some folks are ignoring 1:35 and the 1:35 manus are ignoring them. It will be interesting to see what the future holds. Will it be a trend or the new scale? Or both?

Anyway yes looking forward to the ICM catalog coming out. 

6 hours ago, Dennis7423 said:

In theory, their 2024 catalog will drop within the next week or so, and then we'll be able to truly assess whether or not they intend to release anything in 1/32 this calendar year, aside from the Hs-123. Then, we will most definitely get back to talking ICM!

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Should be entertaining at the very least. If they only get the -123 out I'll be happy and so will my bank account! Still like Thierry's suggestion of an A-37 I could dig that.