IPMS membership....is it worth it?

geedubelyer

IPMS membership....worth it?  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Is it worth becoming an IPMS member?

• Yes
    • No

13 minutes ago, Phantom2 said:

Yes, absolutley worth it! :thumbsup:

Stefan :beer:

I believe you, but why?

42 minutes ago, Shoggz said:

I voted ‘Yes’ from a UK perspective, purely because I find getting free entry to Telford is worth the annual fee!

I get totally get that. What if you are living outside of Europe and the USA, where is the benefit?

I've been an IPMS Member for many years now.  Benefits include:

1. If you want to form your own IPMS sponsored club, you need at least five current IPMS members to form one.

2. If you have a mind to compete in the IPMS National Convention, you must be a current IPMS member.

3. IPMS forums are available to IPMS members.

4. If you belong to an IPMS club, I believe any competitions (contests) are covered by the IPMS National Insurance policy.  I'm not a charter member of a club but that's what I understand.

5. It gives you sense of belonging to something as with any club.

6. Right now, it's $30/year for individual adult membership.  I don't believe life-time memberships are available any longer, I haven't checked in some time.  Family memberships are available if desired.

There's probably other quirks and"oh-yeahs" I've forgotten but those are the ones I can think of offhand. ^_^

I'm the other way. I don't think it's worth it for me. In the times I've chosen to be an infrequent member it was fundamentally just for the extra hour you can get in to Telford. I don't belong to any IPMS clubs or have any desire to do so, finding that these forums meet my modelling needs with like minded people and the knowledge to tap into is vast. When the magazine came through its a brief read but also I don't buy modelling magazines. So without sounding too negative and for balance, it's not for me.

IPMS was a godsend for decades! However, I think it lost most of its benefits when the Internet became really accessible twenty years ago. You could suddenly share pictures of models, have free access to tutorials, purchase easily obscure aftermarket items from the dark side of the moon, get second-hand models or books, cry for help and discuss on forums, share reference documents and more simply knowledge with other people interested in the same weird things... So, it just kept some very limited positive aspects not available through other channels. Accordingly I think this could be useful if you want to join a chapter and IPMS is the only organisation giving you such a possibility in your area. Otherwise...

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

IPMS was a godsend for decades! However, I think it lost most of its benefits when the Internet became really accessible twenty years ago. You could suddenly share pictures of models, have free access to tutorials, purchase easily obscure aftermarket items from the dark side of the moon, get second-hand models or books, cry for help and discuss on forums, share reference documents and more simply knowledge with other people interested in the same weird things... So, it just kept some very limited positive aspects not available through other channels. Accordingly I think this could be useful if you want to join a chapter and IPMS is the only organisation giving you such a possibility in your area. Otherwise...

I must say i concur with this whole story, very well put, i myself have been a member of IPMS since the earlier seventies, but cancelled my membership a few years ago, simply because of what is being stated above by Thierry, but the main reason was i didn't "find" any large scale affectionados but a few and the general consensus was 1/48 and 1/72 and beyond. Many will disagree with this view, but that is just the way i've experienced my membership.

I've been modeling for about 50 years now. I've never been a member of IPMS.... 

I model for my own enjoyment, I've never been entered into a contest nor interested in doing so.  That's just me. 

I do enjoy the on line community a lot,  I guess that's how I ended up on staff here???

To be clear I am not knocking IPMS at all,  each to their own I guess.

Thierry has said it very well. IPMS is to be respected, however, the immediacy, reach, shared knowledge, generosity and diversity of online groups, especially LSP, surpasses IPMS' offer imho. I left IPMS five years ago, before I knew of LSP. Competitions held no interest. For me, Telford every three or four years does not equal a monetary or convenience gain, regardless of travelling and accommodation costs.

Telford is good, sure, but one can resume IPMS membership for Telford entry benefits whenever Telford's turn comes around.

How frequently do LSP members attend IPMS events?

4 hours ago, Christa said:

How frequently do LSP members attend IPMS events?

I've seen a ton of LSP members at various contests, including the last US nationals here in Omaha.

I don't win that often, but it's really the only place to show off your work and see others people's work, as my family really doesn't care that much about models.