Revell 1/32 Gloster Meteor F.3

KiwiZac

Wow.....A guy goes out for a smoko and Blammo! Revell get all crossed up and do the wrong Meatbox.Or so we think.......I'm a big an of all marks of the Meteor ( You probably knew that...) but I too have to think that this is either a rebox of the HKM kit or a serious misstep.I guess we'll see what it really is soon enough.Just dipping my toe back in the waters here.....

24 minutes ago, paul fisher said:

Wow.....A guy goes out for a smoko and Blammo! Revell get all crossed up and do the wrong Meatbox.Or so we think.......I'm a big an of all marks of the Meteor ( You probably knew that...) but I too have to think that this is either a rebox of the HKM kit or a serious misstep.I guess we'll see what it really is soon enough.Just dipping my toe back in the waters here.....

Good to see you back Mr F, sadly the kit is a serious misstep, hopefully the design will permit other versions to be produced, even though an F.8 is virtually a new kit from a Mk.III.

43 minutes ago, paul fisher said:

Could not agree more Paul, but as you know what I have said a few times we have discussed the Meteor. I am very interested to see which direction they go in, so I can decide what I may do.

Really good to see you back and contributing. 

On 12/23/2022 at 11:12 AM, fastterry said:

Dogsbody, are you prepared to pay AUD$263.00 full price or AUD$236.50 with 10% discount as listed on Hannants website for a Revell Mk IV Meteor? It would have to include a lot of detail and Tamiya quality mouldings for that price. It's not like we don't have a 1/32 Mk IV as even though the HKM is simplified it's also $150.00 cheaper, it doesn't make any sense to me neither the price nor the Mark number.

TRF

No, I'm not.  I already have a nice model of an F.4 Meteor thanks to the HKM kit, to which I've added an engine plus cockpit detailing, so another would be largely a waste of money.  I tend to agree with your comment, especially as it's a big model and takes up quite a bit of space on the shelf.  If it actually turns out to be a Mk.3, with short engine nacelles and long span wings, I might be tempted, but only after I've seen what's in the box and I have a little spare cash.

However, my thoughts are that it will be a Mk.3, not a Mk.4.  The problem lies in their having shown a picture of a Mk.4 in the initial pre-release picture of their upcoming Mk.3.  It's a bit like those first pictures of their Hurricane MkIIb with the apparently droopy wings.  Not a good start and very careless on Revell's part and perhaps history has repeated as their new Mk.IIb looks very nice.  Either way, we won't know for sure until it's actually released, so I'll continue to follow this thread and comment as I see appropriate.  So far, my comments have been only to clarify which version is which, but I like the first generation of jets so it's a definite subject of interest.

One final thought.  I agree totally with Paul Fisher's comment in that they're released the wrong version.  A Mk.8, with the option of doing an FR.9, would have been far better.  Further, I think Revell's efforts would have been far better directed at doing a good rendition of a Lockheed P-80 if they wanted to do an early generation of jet fighter.  I know there is existing kit, but that kit could be a lot better.  The Meteor Mk.4 has been well covered by HKM and anyone who really wants one, or a T.7 or F.8 would have bought the HKM kit and one of Mr Fisher's excellent resin conversions.  There's nothing wrong with HKM's kit at all, except perhaps it could offer more in the way of cockpit and engine detail.

WTuz1o.jpg

I'd have done a Fisher conversion Mk.8 but his house burned down.  Very glad to see he's finally recovering from that event.

So that's where I stand on this release.  A Mk.4 is a no go, a Mk.3 is a slight maybe, a Mk.8 is a definite possible, but a new Revell release of a P-80/T-33 would have been a YES PLEASE!!!!.  I'd have thunk that a P-80 would sell like hot cakes, but not holding my breath.  In the mean time, I'm hoping that the after market will come to the aid of the Vampire I have in my stash, and that can go next to the two above on that shelf.

Cheers,

Michael

12 hours ago, paul fisher said:

Welcome back!

You have been missed around here

For me a Mk3 all day long for selfish reasons 

cheers Anthony 

18 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I know, Andy, but the  announced version does not match the picture and one year before the release the price stays rather provisional. So, I think it is premature to discuss such aspects without getting more factual information from Revell. Wait and see. This will come in due time.

I think the price reflects the fact that the stand, which can hold a Meteor and a V-1 doodlebug, also doubles as an artistic reinterpretation of Star Trek's USS Enterprise. (Which might in 1/144th scale, as it happens, be included.) 

There's going to be a WW2 model subject bonfire next year. A few exceptions, like the new Hurricane, but not many:  Whoompf! Having done the era to death between 1965 and 1973, I remain heartily sick of it. 

I am so sick of WW2 that if I hear Sir Laurence Olivier narrate another episode of World at War I'm going to need serious psychiatric help. Only the whine of true axial-flow turbojets can cure me!

Tony