Mi-28 1/35 takom

mark31

At low level where visibility is about the single most important criteria to being safely able to fly at speed this thing must be horrendous to fly.

Almost no sidewards view, little view out the front, it must be a helo pilots worst nightmare to operate this helo low level in a combat environment.

It will make a great kit just glad im not strapping one on to fly against the Ukraine guys and gals in that terrain, no thanks.

16 hours ago, iaf-man said:

Interesting what people say and buy about the Nazi/German WW2 equipment?

beginning with endless ME-109,FW-190,armour and so on and on

we-modelers are historians of some kind

Well, those i don't build either, don't have any kit of the kind in the stash, but then again any other type of aircraft, any other "country" of origine, any other "war" area could be questionable and in that respect we modelers are indeed historians of some kind.......

8 minutes ago, Jack said:

Well, those i don't build either, don't have any kit of the kind in the stash, but then again any other type of aircraft, any other "country" of origine, any other "war" area could be questionable and in that respect we modelers are indeed historians of some kind.......

Agreed

placing swastika on models doesn't mean we simpathise or are nazis,we just recreate historic facts

The best way to survive in a combat helicopter is avoiding being hit. So, visibility, manoeuvrability and threat detection are quite important if you are only protected against heavy caliber bullets. This is the problem of such helicopters. Their cumbersome armor is useless against manpads. I guess this explains why one fourth of the Russian production airframes have already fallen from the Ukrainian skies... Nonetheless, from a model perspective this is a quite interesting warmachine!

I'm not sure about the Russian platforms but I know the U.S. helicopters have a defensive aids suite that includes flares and chaff, not to mention IR and radar jammers. They may also have other "stuff" they use that may be classified.  Those, accompanied with the design and heat shielding may be what gives our fly-guys the edge they need to defeat the manpads, AAA, and larger SAM threats.  If Ivan doesn't have that capability then that's his hard-cheese.

Edited by Juggernut
Harvard comma....

They are not immortal, but made to survive the common threads flying low over a battlefield, where every MG and autocannon will be pointed at you. Just because everybody knows how deadly an attack helo may become. Same design practice as with the battleships of old times, tanks (old and modern) and attack aircraft (both Su-25 and A-10): Speed and large calibre guns are nice, but nevertheless how smart and fast you are - you will got hit. And you have to survive the hit. Even some more. This one will take a hit or two, indeed. It has it's sensors like the Apache, and MANPADS are a bane to every helicopter. And yes, it depends on the man and his mission, as always. We know that the russian forces leave something to be desired regarding training and such....

BTW, if you were asking about the large gun mount:

Thats not a pop-gun. This is the same autocannon as used by the BMP-2 IFV. This one has a punch - and a recoil. A sturdy mount is a must! This gun is specified to pierce a full inch of armour just like the Apaches gun - but at three times the range ;)

dunno, if I order one. Stash overflow, crammed cabinet, life time restrictions and such :rolleyes: :lol:

Regards

- dutik

9 hours ago, Juggernut said:

I'm not sure about the Russian platforms but I know the U.S. helicopters have a defensive aids suite that includes flares and chaff, not to mention IR and radar jammers. They may also have other "stuff" they use that may be classified.  Those, accompanied with the design and heat shielding may be what gives our fly-guys the edge they need to defeat the manpads, AAA, and larger SAM threats.  If Ivan doesn't have that capability then that's his hard-cheese.

That defensive gear isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. During the “War on Terror”, a fairly large number of US helos were downed. Some by manpads but others by 60-year old RPG’s.  Best way to stay alive in an attack helo is to fly at night to minimize manpad threat and have the tech to acquire and hit your targets from outside of the range that they can acquire and hit you.  

6 hours ago, John1 said:

That defensive gear isn’t all it’s cracked up to be. During the “War on Terror”, a fairly large number of US helos were downed. Some by manpads but others by 60-year old RPG’s.  Best way to stay alive in an attack helo is to fly at night to minimize manpad threat and have the tech to acquire and hit your targets from outside of the range that they can acquire and hit you.  

I'm no expert but I think my take on what I've seen so far in Ukraine is that modern warfare has seen another shift away from the current norm, bit like we saw with tanks and infantry, battleships and aircraft, air to air missiles and guns, etc.  It feels like alternative technology (eg drones) really has taken a step forward and traditional airpower a step backwards. As I say, I'm no expert so that could just be dribble !  

6 hours ago, npb748r said:

I'm no expert but I think my take on what I've seen so far in Ukraine is that modern warfare has seen another shift away from the current norm, bit like we saw with tanks and infantry, battleships and aircraft, air to air missiles and guns, etc.  It feels like alternative technology (eg drones) really has taken a step forward and traditional airpower a step backwards. As I say, I'm no expert so that could just be dribble !  

Coincidentally (or not), the latest versions of the AH-64E have the ability to control UAV's from the front seat.   Maybe come a day where the pilots send a UAV ahead of them to scan the area for threats / targets before they get there themselves.    Lot of changes coming from that war.   Some things stay the same (always going to need grunts and armor to take and hold ground, especially urban areas) somethings are going to be radically different.   

• 10 months later...
On 11/3/2022 at 6:35 AM, Dennis7423 said:

Really a kit neglected in kit form in every scale, aside from a very basic Revell 1/72 kit from a while ago. This is a neat release.

Now, can Takom do us a solid and kit a Ka-52 Alligator in 1/35, too? They are a serious looking beast.

d21ad7bcabab7d1cb037d5cdfa5ebfc9

- Dennis S.

Mount Juliet, TN USA

Ah, now your talking!  I'd be more apt to get this than the Mi-28[ though it's cool too] I'll bet setting up that dual rotor would be a real gas!