Infinity 1/32 Son-of-a B!tch 2nd Class

RadBaron

Never having laid claim to a mind of sense or reason, reading the reports of how terrible Infinity Models' first venture into injection molded territory was, awoke something in my few remaining brain-cells.

With every word of admonishment that adorned build review, just like that red flag to a bull, I wondered what sort of a Worst-Kit-Ever was hiding within the quite large box.

20220906_224020

Looking over the sprues revealed a interesting combination of raised and engraved details, miles of flash and plenty of mould release lines.

One curious detail was that whilst some parts were (randomly) numbered on the sprues, others had no numbering at all. A check of thr sprue layout in the instructions cleared up which part was supposedly which, but more on that later. 

20220930_165116

Whilst infinity offers all manner of add-on detail kits, I like my models closed up, preserving the shape of the aircraft, so luckily those won't be a further hindrance of dragging this kit across the finish line. 

One addition I do think needs be made, is the PE dive flaps. They're a fairly costly necessity, but given the fragile, multi-layered nature of these flaps in real life, compared to the somewhat representative blobs of plastic provided in the kit, I think they're a must for anyone contemplating this build. 

20220906_224122

Other than these and a set of Master perforated gun barrels for the rear guns, I'm aiming to go OOTB with this.

The plan is to build the 3 tone paint scheme (or something similar) as provided in the kit.

On to the plastic!

Denzil

Edited by RadBaron

• RadBaron changed the title to Infinity 1/32 Son-of-a B!tch 2nd Class

Playing with plastic. The cowl halves go together fine. 

The cowl flap hinge-line is wonky as can be. I chopped off the flaps, hit thr line with filler and sanded the rear of the cowl straight. 

20221003_193418

The forward upper intake insert was offered up to look at fit.

20221002_211029

Not bad, except that that's nothing what the real thing looks like.

curtiss-sb2c-4-jpg.524749

Sorting that out will wait until the cowl halves have completely dried. 

On to the wings, then!

The kit provides a one piece main spar, that also makes up the rear wall of the gear well, to which the wing ribs are attached. Given the complete lack of fit of literally every part, I didn't want to to leave such a visible area to chance, so I decided to deviate from the instructions, chopping the spar in half, gluing each to the respective upper wing half. From there I'll make up the structure, and most likely put in some of the more prominent wiring and plumbing. 

Every single part needed shaping and trimming and fine tuning. The spar needed notching to fit around molded in structure on mating surfaces. 

20221006_172418

The ribs needed notching and trimming

20221006_174009

One issue I did find was, (and I'll put my hand up and take some blame if I installed the spar incorrectly) the angle of the rear face of the ribs as provided in the kit are a 90° angle, which didn't come anywhere close to the angle of the spar.

More chopping and creative wrangling.

20221007_183022

Eventually we get to this stage

20221007_190150

Here's a completed wheel well. Now to do the other side and add some plumbing!

There is still an inboard "rib" to be added, but this part is representing the fuselage skin of the real aircraft, so I'm going to glue the piece to the fuselage, to keep correct angles and what not. 

The horizontal stabilizers have gone together too, and I've separated the elevators from the stabilizers. Curtiss used some fairly chunky hinges on their controll surfaces, so I'll make those up before reattached everything. 

Sofar, the kit is living up to being a bit of a slog, but certainly not unbuildable.

How badly do you want a Beast in your cabinet? :D

21 minutes ago, RadBaron said:

Playing with plastic. The cowl halves go together fine. 

The cowl flap hinge-line is wonky as can be. I chopped off the flaps, hit thr line with filler and sanded the rear of the cowl straight. 

20221003_193418

The forward upper intake insert was offered up to look at fit.

20221002_211029

Not bad, except that that's nothing what the real thing looks like.

curtiss-sb2c-4-jpg.524749

Sorting that out will wait until the cowl halves have completely dried. 

I have to say that is very poor.  The build that was posted on here by the manufacturer ground to a halt after about 4 posts.  Either they were just posting to drive purchases, or the builder realised what a complete crock the kit is.  Both are plausible and neither reflect well on the manufacturer.

Like many, I bought it plus all the add ons which racked up a bill that meant the resin version was more attractive as a purchase and every time I look on eBay, I see other hapless fools flogging their ill-gotten purchase.

Good luck with it - I will await the result with baited breath.

Cheers

Si 

41 minutes ago, Gazzas said:

There are other builds on other forums that have gotten further.

Here is one that is ongoing:

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/17094-infinity-models-sb2c-4-helldiver-update-092322-rear-canopy-fix/page/8/

Ernie is doing a great job on his Helldiver and lots of really good work arounds on his build. Superb job so far. 

Regards. Andy 

6 minutes ago, D.B. Andrus said:

Well, at least you guys can look for an aftermarket L/G set from us in the near future.

Cheers,

Damian

Now that is good news Damian, initially you mentioned you wasn't going to do this one! I will keep my eye out.

Regards. Andy