Infinity 1/32 Son-of-a B!tch 2nd Class

RadBaron

On 10/10/2022 at 5:16 PM, D.B. Andrus said:

Well, at least you guys can look for an aftermarket L/G set from us in the near future.

Cheers,

Damian

This is something I'll keep my eye on!

My concern is the rigidity of the gear as it mounts to the aircraft. The geometry is all straight forward, but the pivot points carry all the weight, and am a bit worried about them carrying the load whilst looking accurate enough and also maintaining the correct geometry of the legs. I think I'll tackle that particular hurdle later in the build, once the wings are on the fuselage, to ensure the correct sit of the gear. 

I'm thinking along the lines of building up the legs and pivot points as a single assembly, using extra thin to weld everything together, then mounting that assembly in the wheel well.  

My concern with aftermarket gear legs is adequate "gluing" everything together. Metal legs would almost require brazing parts together.

hel06.jpg

Otherwise, work continues on the cockpit and wheel wells!

Denzil

Edited by RadBaron

On 10/10/2022 at 2:18 PM, simmerit said:

I have to say that is very poor.  The build that was posted on here by the manufacturer ground to a halt after about 4 posts.  Either they were just posting to drive purchases, or the builder realised what a complete crock the kit is.  Both are plausible and neither reflect well on the manufacturer.

Like many, I bought it plus all the add ons which racked up a bill that meant the resin version was more attractive as a purchase and every time I look on eBay, I see other hapless fools flogging their ill-gotten purchase.

Good luck with it - I will await the result with baited breath.

Cheers

Si 

It certainly is a bit of a red flag the even the manufacturer couldn't get their own kit finished :D

I picked up the kit on sale, the regular MSRP was too far too high for my liking, ESPECIALLY since (in my opinion) the etched flaps are a necessity, at an extra $50.

As a VALUE for money proposition, that's up to the individual. Are you excited about the journey or the destination?

There's no wrong answer :D

Edited by RadBaron

On 10/10/2022 at 4:12 PM, Gazzas said:

There are other builds on other forums that have gotten further.

Here is one that is ongoing:

https://forum.largescalemodeller.com/topic/17094-infinity-models-sb2c-4-helldiver-update-092322-rear-canopy-fix/page/8/

Thanks mate, I've been keeping up with Ernie's build, has doing a great job, and I'm taking mental notes about his hurdles! I'm not disappointed about not putting in the bomb bay or dropping the rear deck like he is, sure seems to add a whole lot more work!

On 10/10/2022 at 5:10 PM, monthebiff said:

Looking forward to your progress on this one, its a Beast of a kit in all the wrong ways. Not worked on mine foe over a year but here is the progress so far

Thanks Andy! Your build was part of thr inspiration to have a crack at the kit, you've done beautiful work. I hope yours makes it back to your bench soon :D

On 10/11/2022 at 5:05 AM, Archer Fine Transfers said:

I especially enjoy tongue-in-cheek build commentary so I'll definitely be following this.

Glad to have you on board!

I'll try to keep my words civilized, though seeing other, more capable modelers' progress, I fear this beast may bring a demonic vocabulary out of me :D

17 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

S.O.W. has announced replacement landing gear for this kit, if you're prepared to wait for them.

Kev

Thanks for the heads up, Kev! I'll sign up for the long haul :thumbsup:

I think it should be doable to slot the whole gear/structure assembly in once the wings are closed up to make a strong, rigid assembly, so that shouldn't hold up my progress :D

6 hours ago, ScottsGT said:

Before I bought the kit I found a set of G-Factor brass gear for the resin kit.  Anyone know if they will fit the IM kit?  I still haven’t opened my kit.  Something about that Pandoras Box story. 

I don't think they will be any sort of drop in fit at least.  I held on to my set when I sold the resin kit in advance of the plastic one and from recollection G-factor gear didn't have the same attachment points that the kit plastic did.

As previously noted, most of the cockpit details are inaccurate, seemingly coming from the ILM world of raining Greeblies down to cover negative space, so I'm adding details to attempting to make them look at least plausible.

20221014_223835

In the rear cockpit, even with the canopy closed, the focal point will undoubtedly be the guns and mount-ring thing.

The kit supplies a bare ring to represent the track, seen here on the left.

20221003_190019

To represent the track, i laminated two pieces of C-section (no sniggering in the back!) evergreen strip, using a highly technical jig to wrap them around a bottle cap of the right diameter to maintain the shape.

20221003_185233

This was trimmed to size and glued to the rear half, which will be covered up by the cast gun mount. 

Nothing outstanding but it gives an impression of the real thing. Out of focus in the background, you can see the outer edge of the mount, with lightening holes being drilled out. 

20221003_191254

It's got inaccurate details, and the fit is terrible, but at least it's expensive!

Denzil 

Edited by RadBaron