Aw damn the rotten luck.... Someone got one of my credit card numbers and used it.

Juggernut

Not a huge issue because I called the bank and had the card immediately shut off but not before they got over $1500 in charges on my account.  I opened a fraud claim as I'm supposed to do so I'll not be responsible for those charges but damn, I feel violated...  This is the second time with this card; I may consider cancelling my account and moving elsewhere. I have no idea how these S.O.B's get my number when I've just been given a new card with a new number after the last time it occurred.

Is this more common than I think it is?  I've never had it occur with any other card, just this account.  I've only ever used that card online for one or two things so either those entities have had their data stolen or someone with access to that data is responsible.

I know what you mean, some asshat keeps using my credit card to order LSP's !

Joking aside, I had it happen once but years ago. My credit card is tied to my RBC account and they caught the suspicious activity, stopped the purchase, cancelled the card and contacted me to let me know I needed to go get a new card. (I hadn't noticed it before they caught it) I asked them where the fraud had originated, they said they were not allowed tell me that...I said ok. what if I go buy something wherever it happened and get my card ripped off again. They said no problem, they would inform me of any suspicious activity and cancel the card.

Glad caught, but Yes a real annoyance which I got double trouble as they hit both of mine.

Would possibly go unnoticed to many as the charges were around $8 to $30 at a time and

posted as "Amazon prime" which I do not have an account with. Replacement card sent, then

it showed up on other acct. Same type charges but more $$. Only place I could figure both

accounts shared is Paypal, but unknown what else was done about it by the banks besides

the card replacements. Remember to give new card numbers to any auto pay or direct deposit.

Thanks for all the advice and related stories.  I do have an RFID card holder but I only used it when I was in Europe…I probably should get another for use here at home.

The card issuer does not offer a service (as far as I’m aware) that asks if I’ve made a transaction but does send me alerts when it’s used without the card being present, which is how I found out that it had been compromised.  

3 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Juggernut, 

I am sorry to hear your details/credit card was used and they defrauded you and the bank.

I hope it gets sorted . 

:sorry:

Also credit card  companies do investigate and banks are always helpful when being defrauded with credit cards and usually involves  the Police so a criminal  investigation can be done. 

And As Chris stated, you can get yoyr Bank to monitor yoyr transactions so they will ask"did you just spend $$$$ at such and such a place ".

if its you , you can say yes, if not them you tell them no thats not My transaction.. and they stop it before letting any money go out of your account !!

Also I would suggest that wallet  in which you carry your cards, credit, debit cards etc are those that have RFID built into them so no low life thief can get details while you walk about , or are on the bus, train... The RFID wallets s prevent your Data being "seized " as in read with their little computer gadgets which is how some credit card's  details and your details etc are stolen... you dont even have to use the card in some establishment  for them to steal your DATA , details  so might worth getting a wallet with RFID already  installed. They are no expensive.

anyway , I do hope your credit card  company pinpoints out the culprit.

Again Sorry for you.

Good luck.

:thumbsup:

Not to hijack the thread, but how is your shoulder Maru???

Any better?

Tim

If the card does not have a chip, getting the credit card number and a copy of the magnetic strip-stored data is generally done right in front of you by someone you do not mistrust! Did you use your card in hotels? If that is the case, you do not need to go further. This may also be a case of ATM skimming. I have yet to understand why some banks are so greedy they do not adopt far more secure payment means in some western countries...

I am not an expert in cyber security, but I believe Apple Pay on your phone knocks so much of this on the head - no idea if Android has something similar. 

I don't know how many cards you can have in you AP wallet, but I imagine enough for most people's use.

The only time I use my 'physical' cards is at home if I am buying online and cannot use PayPal, and then usually get some sort of 2FA request via a text with a one time pass code to prove it's me.

I hope you get your money back quickly with as little aggro as possible.

Got my card ripped in Riyadh, July 1998 first night of a six week drive Dubai to Ramsey, Isle of Man. The only place that card was exhibited was a leading hotel. Didn't know it had happened until I tried to pay for two tickets at a London theatre six weeks later. The card was blocked. Immediately contacted card company who told me the date and country of the 'suspicious, unusual heavy use'. Straight away I was able to evidence my passport's Saudi Arabia exit visa twenty four hours prior to that criminal slew of expensive purchases. The criminal purchases were cancelled. My card was unblocked within an hour and another great night at the theatre ensued.

No LSPs were criminally purchased, so I don't think the thief was a good person.

Glad you got right treatment from your card companies too, Juggernut, BiggTim and Chrish.

Chris

I also had a similar issue many years ago when I was traveling a lot in Eastern Europe. My credit card company called me when they saw 'my' card had been used to pay gas in a Nevada gas station! Hopefully they detected the issue the first time it was used abroad. BTW, now, if I want to go in countries in which card with chips and 2FA are not mandatory, I need to contact them to activate my card in such countries. Not a problem to me as I rarely go out of Europe.

7 hours ago, nmayhew said:

I am not an expert in cyber security, but I believe Apple Pay on your phone knocks so much of this on the head - no idea if Android has something similar. 

I don't know how many cards you can have in you AP wallet, but I imagine enough for most people's use.

The only time I use my 'physical' cards is at home if I am buying online and cannot use PayPal, and then usually get some sort of 2FA request via a text with a one time pass code to prove it's me.

I hope you get your money back quickly with as little aggro as possible.

There's an easy answer for this:  I don't use Apple Pay and have no payment cards listed on my Apple ID for just this reason. 

Thierry, I did use it to book hotels and travel arrangements (as I got rewards for doing so) but never, ever do I use a credit card at an ATM or a gas station.

No worries Hawkwrench, Maru, you didn't hijack the thread it was just a bump....

I actually called Apple yesterday and informed them that someone fraudulently purchased items from them so they might be able to look up the transactions by my credit card number and intercept the sale and prevent a loss from occurring but they could not find any record of the sale using the tools they have available.  Oh well, I'm still protected and the compromised card has been shut off and physically destroyed.  I'll let the bank handle that portion of it I guess, they probably have the transaction numbers available to them which I do not.

On 9/16/2022 at 11:42 PM, MARU5137 said:

Also I would suggest that wallet  in which you carry your cards, credit, debit cards etc are those that have RFID built into them so no low life thief can get details while you walk about , or are on the bus, train... The RFID wallets s prevent your Data being "seized " as in read with their little computer gadgets which is how some credit card's  details and your details etc are stolen... you dont even have to use the card in some establishment  for them to steal your DATA , details  so might worth getting a wallet with RFID already  installed. They are no expensive.

RFID blocking wallets are a waste of money. Firstly, an attacker would need to place the card reader within 2cm of your card for it to work, so you’d probably notice them trying it on. Secondly, simply having two credit cards close together in your wallet also foils the attack as the card reader cannot identify which specific card is attempting to be read (you can see this by presenting to cards held together when doing a contactless payment, the reader will error out).