1/32 Short Stirling

tomprobert

Wonderful work Tom, real master craftmanship and I am glad you overcame it so we can see more soon

It is just looking so 'right' now & the transparency work is top class

I marvel at how you can work on something delicate like that where you need access to all angles and are constantly handling the model and all the while in the background is 4 feet of wingspan knocking about :)

Peter

18 hours ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Incredible work, Tom! I have no idea how you managed to do the framing for the bomb aimer's glazing, but my hat is off to you!

Kev

Cheers, Kev - it's a lot of trial and error but Evergreen is very forgiving in hot water so that did help a lot.

16 hours ago, Archimedes said:

Not only do I love the work on the Stirling but I admire your balls of brass playing ‘vacuform Russian roulette’ with that Connie!

You are an inspiration to us all Tom!

Kind regards,

Paul

Thanks, Paul - the Connie is certainly taking 1/32nd scale modelling to the extreme but her indoors is still blissfully unaware (more below!)

13 hours ago, themongoose said:

How do you do it? That whole brand new nose section is painted and black and It looks absolutely perfect!

Many thanks, and as I said above there's a lot of trial and error involved and whilst the end product might look OK, it took a lot of blood, sweat and tears to get there!

7 hours ago, mozart said:

More sorcery from the Magician! I have seen Iain’s Connie….biggest 1/32 scale model by far that I can remember. Good luck smuggling that into the house under your jacket or up your trouser leg chum.

Iain and I had a good chat about it at Telford. I'll certainly be a regular visitor to his build log when the time comes to start it. I actually managed to smuggle it in a while back... the good lady was out for the day and I dashed to my office and brought it in, put it straight in the loft and she's none the wiser. I'll then nonchalantly go up there and bring it down when the time comes to start building it and whilst I'm bound to get a stream of invective at the time, she'll soon get over it. Where would she rather me be? Down the local boozer or in the kitchen knee deep in sanding dust? :D

7 hours ago, airscale said:

Wonderful work Tom, real master craftmanship and I am glad you overcame it so we can see more soon

It is just looking so 'right' now & the transparency work is top class

I marvel at how you can work on something delicate like that where you need access to all angles and are constantly handling the model and all the while in the background is 4 feet of wingspan knocking about :)

Peter

It's certainly been a challenge at times, Peter, but working in the kitchen gives me plenty of 'swinging room'. It genuinely does make my arm ache when I hold it for prologued periods though, and the fridge does have a few dents in it...

My father loved R/C aircraft, and as far back as I can remember, it was normally 1/4 scale. That almost always meant a LOT of room being taken up!

I still remember my mom being a bit perturbed at the amount of room they took up, but in the end she never really complained as it was his passion, and she always figured there were much worse ways he could have spent his time.

I do remember there was not always space to store them, so a lot of them ended up hanging from the basement ceiling.

I can certainly relate to the storage issues @Out2gtcha!!!

I’ve done the rear turret fairing tonight which was a lot more straightforward than the front! I’ve once again utilised the HK Lancaster rear turret which will make things much simpler - all I needed to do was make a simple fairing from plastic card. 

53560392274_f8b8f3e89c_b.jpg

53559205232_6fe6e4b453_b.jpg

53560392139_5f9eae743c_b.jpg

More when there’s more…

Tom