1/32 Hasegawa Ki-61 Tei Hien

Thunnus

Dang, that looks awesome John! I know that it was a ton of work, but the painted on markings will really help when the weathering starts. Have to give it a shot. I really like how the markings brightened up the Tony and gave it a ton of character.

Matt  

Thanks guys!  I initially saw this scheme on a Hasegawa box top and thought that it was a cool scheme that I don't commonly see.  Plus, it happened to be a Tei variant, of which I had the Wolf Pack conversion... easy choice!
Hasegawa-Ki-61-55th-Sentai.jpg

Markings have been tweaked and massaged.  At this point, the major painting is complete so let's take a look at her in the light box...

IMG-4879.jpg

IMG-4880.jpg

IMG-4881.jpg

IMG-4882.jpg

IMG-4883.jpg

IMG-4884.jpg

IMG-4885.jpg

Clear coat and decals are next!

On 7/25/2023 at 4:19 PM, Thunnus said:

A pretty ragged result.  I was close to wiping this off and re-grouping but I decided to see if I could touch it up.  So I sprayed it with a gloss coat and sat on it for a while.

That's why I never throw away masks until everything is completely done. I never know how many times I'm gonna need them for booboos.

Finish looking great John. Just curious, looking at the total scheme, if the blue on the spinner was outlined in white as well ?

Cool scheme in any case.

4 hours ago, JayW said:

John - what a convincing paint job.  You may have told me before - do you sand down any rough paint edges after masking?  If you do, what do you use?  

Thank you, Jay!  I use really thin mixes of paint so usually buffing with a soft cloth is enough to remove any excess paint build up along the mask edges.  If it's really severe, I may use some Micromesh to knock it down but I don't think it is necessary to totally eliminate that edge, just reduce it.

3 hours ago, denders said:

Looks great!

Thank you!

1 hour ago, MikeMaben said:

That's why I never throw away masks until everything is completely done. I never know how many times I'm gonna need them for booboos.

Finish looking great John. Just curious, looking at the total scheme, if the blue on the spinner was outlined in white as well ?

Cool scheme in any case.

Thanks Mike!  Yes, hold onto those masks, especially for curved shapes.  Usually the unused portions come in handy for paint touch-ups.

As far as the spinner is concerned, I don't think the blue had a white outline...

Oki-Ki-61-1.jpg

Thanks guys!  

The model has been given a clear gloss coat and I put on the decals as well. The decals were few in number and tiny in size and not worth photographing.  The next step is to give the model a pastel wash.  I make my own washes with pastel chalk, water and a dab of liquid soap to help suspend the chalk particles.  I used a single color, dark brown for both top and bottom.

Here is the lower wing before the wash...
IMG-4886.jpg

During the wash...
IMG-4887.jpg

After the wash is wiped away...
IMG-4888.jpg

IMG-4889.jpg

IMG-4890.jpg

The upper wing before the wash...
IMG-4891.jpg

IMG-4892.jpg

IMG-4893.jpg

More views of the model after the wash...
IMG-4895.jpg

IMG-4894.jpg

IMG-4896.jpg

IMG-4897.jpg