Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

The built up kits at Telford were incredible. I wouldn't normally build 1/24 but what they had on show there made me immediately add this to backorder at Hannants. The level of detail seemed amazing, I can't wait to build it, this will be the first 1/24 scale kit that I've had since the late 70's with the original spit, Bf 109 and harrier from airfix. 

Just watched the unboxing video.  Looks wonderful.  As others have commented, the molding of the fuselage looks like a MkVIII is a possibility given the Tamiya like cut out around the tail wheel area.

I'd be surprised if the after market doesn't get flooded with lots of goodies to make this even better.

Cheers,

Michael

Lots of posts here about the possibility of Airfix doing a Mk VIII, but if they do, they’ll need to do a new wing.

The belly light was moved back (not sure off the top of my head if this was outside the belly in the lower wing section, think it may have been, so may need surgery to the lower rear fuselage as well), the lower wings had signalling lights near the wingtips, and there were additional fuel tanks in the wing roots. Would mean a new sprue and additional clear parts. I’m sure the bean counters will be doing their sums… :unsure:

Edited by Pete Roberts

Mine arrived this morning. Whilst I cannot comment on the fit, the surface detail is absolutely stunning. If this builds as good as it looks in the box it will set a new benchmark for Airfix. After a quick look at the instructions I think Airfix have offered some great options - as an example there is an accurate blown hood which has a mould line which would need to be removed or a second, less accurate part that does not have the mould line. Called out very clearly in the instructions. Great move by Airfix in my books.

This looks incredible value at £94 delivered. My advice is get your orders in!

It is a beautiful kit for sure, I won:t ever build one but only because I have had my fill of Mk IX builds.  I am not sure anyway Airfix 1/24 is for me so far.  I love what they have done but looking at the Typhoon, Hellcat and Spitfire and having seen an exceptionally built hellcat in person they just are not my style.  It seems almost compulsory that you leave the engine open and the gun bays open.  I just don:t want to be committed to that, I have liked the Tamiya kits for their flexibility you can do one or the other and covert back no problem.  Right now I cannot say I will ever buy or build a Airfix 1/24 but they are beutiful kits.

3 hours ago, Rick Griewski said:

Not my scale but I am still jealous. I do hope that it is a beautiful model and an excellent build experience. 

I hear ya!  I feel same way but it is sooooo tempting.  Airfix did a great job on this... just like the Hellcat before it....

Another vid showing the parts clearly. 

Although I haven't built a 1/24th scale model kit since I was a boy, this one looks like it might be an opportunity to create the most realistic looking plastic scale model Spitfire to date with very little extra work. 

In common with their previous large scale releases, Airfix have given some surface texture to the skin of the aircraft. This is something that sets the model apart from the beautiful Tamiya kits which are the current benchmark. 

I am looking forward to seeing how these build up and look under a coat of paint. 

The odd photo of Airfix's display models from their stand at Telford are very encouraging. 

Cheers.  

And another one. This has a couple of great shots of the "oil canning" texture applied to the fuselage at 09:47. 

It's interesting to me that Airfix include a broad chord rudder yet none of the current schemes they offer use it. Also, neat touch with the second, not quite accurate but easier to get a clear result, canopy. 

I am eager to see how the two part exhaust stubs build up too. 

Edited by geedubelyer
Additional video link added.