Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

1 hour ago, geedubelyer said:

That would be a brilliant opportunity for the aftermarket community. I wonder what's involved in creating the "e" wing? 

Is it as simple as replacing the cannon cover blisters with different styles or are the actual cannon located differently too?

The cannon are outboard in comparison to the "c" wing and you add a 0.50 cal inboard. The outer wing 0.303 guns are deleted as well. 

I think Altitude Aviation was coming coming out with an e wing conversion for the older Airfix kit that might work on the new one. 

Edit: It's Buchon Scale Models  that makes the e wing conversion. 

https://www.buchonscalemodels.com/products/1-24-spitfire-e-wing-conversion

Edited by BloorwestSiR

On 11/15/2022 at 3:53 PM, Pete Roberts said:

Lots of posts here about the possibility of Airfix doing a Mk VIII, but if they do, they’ll need to do a new wing.

The belly light was moved back (not sure off the top of my head if this was outside the belly in the lower wing section, think it may have been, so may need surgery to the lower rear fuselage as well), the lower wings had signalling lights near the wingtips, and there were additional fuel tanks in the wing roots. Would mean a new sprue and additional clear parts. I’m sure the bean counters will be doing their sums… :unsure:

Oooops, forgot, shorter ailerons too.

A VC looks good IMHO - new engine and cowlings. 

Then maybe an updated Vb. That could lead to a Va, then an updated I/II, then … one can dream can’t they? :) 

Edited by Pete Roberts

9 hours ago, Pete Roberts said:

Oooops, forgot, shorter ailerons too.

A VC looks good IMHO - new engine and cowlings. 

Then maybe an updated Vb. That could lead to a Va, then an updated I/II, then … one can dream can’t they? :) 

Ah, cr*p - forgot that the early Spits had raised rivets on the fuselage. New fuselage for them too :( 

Yeah, think I’ll just be happy with a Mk IX and wont be holding my breath for other versions, though that extra bit for the retracting tail wheel is intriguing ain’t it?

Thirded.  But I prefer the high back versions.

I saw on Nigel's Modelling Bench that we can expect initial supplies of this kit to be a bit slow.  Apparently the factory in England is going for quality over quantity so their production capacity is limited.  I'm not expecting to receive mine this year, on pre order from Hannants.  Those who pre ordered first, get theirs first and I was not one of the first to place my order.

Cheers,

Michael

16 minutes ago, geedubelyer said:

As I was watching another review a thought occurred. Is anyone lamenting the lack of a pilot figure? :hmmm:

I did wonder where it was. But on the flip side, I’m glad they didn’t add the old pilot figure from the older releases. I’ve no doubt the aftermarket types will bring us something. I need a figure for mine as it’ll be built gear up. 

My pair are out for delivery. Ordered as a Birthday treat for myself. Model Shed/Garden Office arrives early next month so should be up and running some time in the new year, hopefully some after market bits and bobs have hit the market by then too. I wouldn’t complain if some of those were the parts to make a big pink FR.IX.

6 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

I saw on Nigel's Modelling Bench that we can expect initial supplies of this kit to be a bit slow.  Apparently the factory in England is going for quality over quantity so their production capacity is limited. 

Not too sure about that - I did not pre-order mine and received in 2 days after ordering direct from Airfix!

Placed my order early morning last Wednesday (16/11/2022) order confirmed the same day, shipped 17th and delivered at 13:00 on 18th. Due to being over £30 order(!) received free delivery, and as an Airfix club member got my 10% club discount as well. I appreciate that by pre-ordering from Hannants, you get a discount as well, but I don't recall ever seeing free delivery for large parcels (and I've ordered my fair share of them from the Big H!). If I have a large order, I tend to collect from the London shop, it's only a 45-minute drive straight down the M1 from where I live, so not much of a hassle (plus time at the RAF Museum next door).

17 hours ago, treker_ed said:

Not too sure about that - I did not pre-order mine and received in 2 days after ordering direct from Airfix!

Placed my order early morning last Wednesday (16/11/2022) order confirmed the same day, shipped 17th and delivered at 13:00 on 18th. Due to being over £30 order(!) received free delivery, and as an Airfix club member got my 10% club discount as well. I appreciate that by pre-ordering from Hannants, you get a discount as well, but I don't recall ever seeing free delivery for large parcels (and I've ordered my fair share of them from the Big H!). If I have a large order, I tend to collect from the London shop, it's only a 45-minute drive straight down the M1 from where I live, so not much of a hassle (plus time at the RAF Museum next door).

It's a bit difficult for me to collect from Hannants, so postage is cheaper.  It's a 17 hour flight each way.

Or I can wait until March or April next year when it might finally appear in the local shops, probably at an inflated price.  Nah......  

Cheers,

Michael