Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

I’m in the fortunate position of having a little time on my side at the mo’ so I’ve got plenty of time to watch “what’s in the box” type reviews of this kit.

It’s generally very impressive. There are a number of neat touches like the second, not quite accurate canopy glass without a seam line for those who are less confident. Or the separate tail wheel section pointing to possible future releases. 

However, one thing that caught my eye is the exhaust pipe design. In order to offer an open mouth to each exhaust the tips are cast in two parts. The attachment point is in an awkward position along the visible seam line so will need careful clean up. Possibly worse than that though is the large hollow moulded in the underside of each exhaust outlet. <_<

This must be an initial candidate for aftermarket. 

What else might the the aftermarket manufacturers offer for this kit do we think? 

I know Airscale have an IP in development. What else? Cannon and machine guns? Tyres? 

Given the the size and scale of the model how many will build from the box and how many will go to town on aftermarket?

Enquiring minds want to know :)

8 hours ago, Stokey Pete said:

It’s going to be an out of the box build for me, in the same spirit of the very first LSP I ever built. Which was the original 1/24 Spit’ Mk1.

Good call Pete. She’ll be a beaut either way. I’m eager to see one of these on someone’s bench asap and learn how it builds.

@TankBuster, you’re welcome. Glad you enjoyed the video. It certainly opened my eyes.

Cheers.

Yes I  watched the MOS6510 models

Airfix factory tour last evening. Approximately 30 minutes long. Very insightful as the process is shown and explained as 1/24 Spitfire sprues are molded.

Must say that I am very pleased and proud of Airfix for bringing to us what may well be their crowning achievement. Bravo!

I may have posted a moan here I can’t recall about the underside engine cowl being moulded as 2 parts 

I have consulted my Monforton “Spitfire IX & XVI Engineered” and confirm this cowling is indeed two pieces

the (carb?) intake however should not have a split down the middle so you just need to be careful which seam you decide to fill

Hope this helps

On 11/23/2022 at 10:00 PM, geedubelyer said:

I know Airscale have an IP in development. What else? Cannon and machine guns? Tyres? 

Given the the size and scale of the model how many will build from the box and how many will go to town on aftermarket?

Enquiring minds want to know :)

Indeed I am doing some upgrades :)

I have a test shot arriving next week for the PE that covers the IP, seat brackets, seat bulkhead & armour plate, U/C selector and some other cockpit bobbins. the kit is very good, as are the cockpit decals, but for those who don't want the clear IP options and want higher fidelity in some other parts and certainly cockpit instruments & decals the set will be a great compliment

New decals are in production and the production PE order will follow but is on a backlog so I may have a limited number of sets in late December, with full availablity with retailers by mid Jan

I have corrupted the artwork so it doesn't get robbed off the internet... (trust me it happens...)

1ODaBQ.jpg

It is a fabulous kit - really next generation, and Airfix are to be heartily congratulated :)

Peter

Hi Peter, that looks great, thanks for the cool preview. 

I anticipate orders rolling in as soon as folk get their kits. 

Please keep us all in the loop if you think there are any other elements that you can improve on. 

One tiny detail that could be worth considering might be replacement Dzus fasteners for the cowlings. :hmmm: Airfix have modelled these as quite bold, raised details. On the full sized aircraft I think they were largely flush when closed. In essence the etch would be a collection of tiny discs with a central slot. They could replace the kit moldings and give a neater appearance to the nose area. ;)

Any other suggestions folks?

Possibly the canopy release handle that mounts to the upper inside hoop of the canopy? 

Edit*

First build I've seen. 

Edited by geedubelyer

2 hours ago, geedubelyer said:

One tiny detail that could be worth considering might be replacement Dzus fasteners for the cowlings. :hmmm:

Possibly the canopy release handle that mounts to the upper inside hoop of the canopy? 

Hi Gedubelyer - I might look at the canopy parts, but the test shot is pretty complete as far as artwork goes. I won't be doing externals like fasteners or I think it would benefeit from PE radiators - I will leave that to the other players

Peter