Airfix announcement - 1/24 Spitfire

treker_ed

5 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Lucky you.  I've got one on order from them as I couldn't wait for them to be shipped here, but I didn't place that order until last month, so I'm not expecting mine this side of Christmas.  This Christmas, that is..  :D

Cheers,

Michael

Hannants email today said that they will be getting in enough stock on Monday to fulfil all back orders.

5 hours ago, Tissue and Dope said:

Hannants email today said that they will be getting in enough stock on Monday to fulfil all back orders.

Yes, I saw that this morning.  Good news!!  :thumbsup:  Their weekly email usually arrives when I'm in the land of Nod.  :D

Cheers,

Michael

5 hours ago, Pete Roberts said:

That looks fabulous Peter. And a set for the Mark I to follow? :frantic:

Will there be decals for components like the u/c retraction?

Hi Pete - yes there will be full decals for instruments & placards in the cockpit as part of the set

As for the Mk1, we already do a panel for that PE24 SPIT :)

Peter

10 minutes ago, airscale said:

Hi Pete - yes there will be full decals for instruments & placards in the cockpit as part of the set

As for the Mk1, we already do a panel for that PE24 SPIT :)

Peter

Yes, I have some Peter. But the kit can do with some extra detail as per the Mk IX - u/c retraction device, rudder pedals etc.

Not to mention that canopy and its frames.

But great to know there will be some extra detail to add to the p/e.

Thanks Peter

Cheers

PR

Edited by Pete Roberts

18 minutes ago, Captain Boogaloo said:

Hello Pete, You need to check out the excellent front windscreen and canopy from Buchon models. They are an instant upgrade.

Blue Skies!

Captain Boogaloo

Thanks mate - I didn’t realise they had done some extra stuff. Not all of it is applicable to a Mk I, but some nice added detail. 

Appreciate the heads up. Will give them some thought.

Got an email from Hannants last night about buying this as sufficient stock has arrived.  Well, that was an immediate YES and the credit card was duly pressed into duty.

So we'll see if it arrives in time for Christmas.  Digits and other body parts crossed.  :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

5 hours ago, Dpgsbody55 said:

Got an email from Hannants last night about buying this as sufficient stock has arrived.  Well, that was an immediate YES and the credit card was duly pressed into duty.

So we'll see if it arrives in time for Christmas.  Digits and other body parts crossed.  :lol:

Cheers,

Michael

I hope you do! It's a lovely kit.

Hi gang, 

Well after all of this talk and potential postal problems look what landed this morning....

20221208-101337.jpg

This has to be put away until the 25th but I did take a quick peek.

First thoughts are extremely positive. The treatment of the surface detailing has been rendered beautifully. 

There is a certain amount of surface undulation in places but it's quite subtle. 

20221208-102657.jpg

This will possibly benefit from a little work with a sanding stick or file just to make the areas a little less uniform. 

There are one or two areas of sink in the plastic but with the rest of the surface treatment these might not look out of place under a coat of paint.

20221208-101803.jpg

20221208-102318.jpg

One small area that will also  benefit from a light sanding is the underside of the wing where a molding for a future variants underwing light is. 

20221208-101828.jpg

It's easy to spot the ghost of an outline of the light in the wing surface. 

One other small issue that has been mentioned in a couple of the YouTube reviews is the line along the top of the fuel tank on both sides that's a result of slide molding.

20221208-102857.jpg

20221208-102917.jpg

Once again, it's nothing that a little careful sanding won't sort out.

I did peep at the remaining sprues but have left them bagged up for now. I shall be sure to go into more detail in a WIP thread in due course. 

I am very much looking forward to getting stuck into this build. Airfix have hit a six (or home run if you prefer) with this release. 

It's a fantastic platform for a little extra detailing and could result in one of the best Spitfire models on the market today. 

Couple with that the price and it offers superb bang for your buck. 

Roll on Chrimbo. :yahoo:

Edited by geedubelyer