Gotta Vent. Swap Meet Woes

Dennis7423

All-

This is model related, and I just need to vent a little bit, and ask for some assistance/guidance.

At our local hobby shop this past weekend (Colpar's Hobby Town in Aurora, Colorado), I had a gentleman visit the table, along with a friend, who have purchased kits from me before. I've seen them many times, and we always have cordial conversation. He purchased one kit from my using cash ($70 for a Tamiya 1/48 F-4B), and wanted to also purchase an additional Tamiya 1/48 F-4B ($70). He did not have cash in hand for the second one, but there were other options available.

I did not have my PayPal Here card reader with me, so I elected to log into my PayPal using my cell phone, and I created an invoice to him for the second F-4B kit. He advised he would create a PayPal, and then pay the invoice. I had him place his own e-mail address into the invoice, and I confirmed with him afterwards that it was correct. He said that it was. The invoice was sent, and he left with the kit. He later returned to the table and "purchased" a Hobby Boss 1/48 MV-22 kit ($80), and I sent him an additional invoice for the second kit. We enjoyed some cordial conversation, and then he walked away to enjoy other vendor tables. The event ended, and I packed up to go home. This was Saturday.

By Monday, I had not received payment on the invoices, and had not heard from him. I then sent an e-mail to the e-mail address provided, and asked if he was having trouble paying the invoices, and if he was, that we could make other arrangements. I got a reply from my e-mail advising that he did not know what I was talking about, and had no idea what an F-4B was. I sent another reply asking if this person had a friend who built model airplanes that may have used his e-mail address, and I did not get any reply. The two invoices were then cancelled by the receiver (at the other e-mail address).

I located a video from the swap meet, posted by one of the employees at the swap meet, and I was able to grab some screen shots of the male, and the friend he was with. I sent one of the screen shots to the e-mail address I had, and he replied, saying he had no idea who the male was in the photo. I've replied, asking him to confirm that this person did not have permission to use his e-mail address for a transaction, and that he could not use his likeness for a transaction. Still awaiting a reply.

My next step is to go to the hobby shop and ask the staff if they recognize the male and know who he is, and to ask them to retain video surveillance from the swap meet at the time of the transaction at my vendor table (it's all under video surveillance). If the staff don't know him (and they seem to know all the regulars pretty well, myself included), I plan to go to the local IPMS meeting and ask around.

I'm hoping to resolve this without getting law enforcement involved, but it's headed in that direction. He's looking at fraud charges, based on the information I've received from the fellow on the other end of the e-mail address. And, in case anyone is wondering, I am a cop, a Detective actually. Just didn't expect to be doing any "work" on my own issues.

Am I wasting my time? Worthy pursuit? I just hate being taken advantage of. And I am confident I can find this guy using appropriate means.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA

Dennis, 

First, thanks for sharing this. It’s bad news but gives us a heads-up, and I agree completely that using the resources you can to prevent this from happening to others and hopefully recovering your losses is the way to go. Keep us posted my friend!

Cheers,  Tom

Fortunately folks, we have some resolution! He was at the swap meet with a friend, and we've seen them there several times over the years. Done several transactions. I had hoped that this was a misunderstanding, and not an intentional act (Several years ago, we had someone walk away with a Tamiya F-4J kit without paying for it, so these things do happen). His friend who was with him is a member here at LSP, and has reached out to me, assuring that his buddy is a standup guy, and is going to get us in touch to sort things out. Won't need to get the police involved (other than myself?), and I'm going to recoup my funds. Additionally, he gets to enjoy his kits!

Everybody wins. Love this community.

- Dennis S.

Thornton, CO USA