Vigilante

Dandiego

I have been working on refining the vertical tail.

After yesterdays practice I started completely from scratch. I made the base of the tail thicker. It was 3mm thick, I made the new tail 5mm thick, much better. I measured the thickness of the metal tab and instead of guessing at the width of the slot I got it exactly the right size. My cad rendering had blunt leading and trailing edges, about 2mm, because anything thinner did not print well. I will need to file/sand the edges to the correct radius. This only took 15 minutes. A little putty to fill in some imperfections and it is almost done. 

I must be learning from my mistakes as version 2 will be the final version.

NURwOoI.jpg?1

qPDXQFe.jpg?1

4eIwJcN.jpg?1

Tomorrow I will work on the horizontal stabs.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Arrrrrgh!

I needed to change rolls of filament. I have done it before.

But as I tried to load the new roll, no joy. The mechanism would pull in the new filament about 1/2 inch then stop.

I watched a video about how to properly feed in a new roll, and I did exactly that. Probably a small piece of filament is stuck in the nozzle. I need a small Allen wrench to disassemble the print head. Can't find the right size. Looks like a trip to the hardware store is in the works.

Dan

Edited by Dandiego

Ok. 3 hours later back up and running. Had to take apart the print head and unclog the nozzle. A little frustrating but I figured it out. If this happens again it will be easier as I made every possible mistake this time.

Just hope I can remember not to repeat the same mistakes.

Dan

15 hours ago, Dandiego said:

Ok. 3 hours later back up and running. Had to take apart the print head and unclog the nozzle. A little frustrating but I figured it out. If this happens again it will be easier as I made every possible mistake this time.

Just hope I can remember not to repeat the same mistakes.

Dan

G’day Dan,

Very nice work on your Vigi. 

re. Your 3D printer, does yours have a setting to increase the nozzle temperature either as part of or separate to the filament change? I’ve found doing that enables stuck filament to be pushed through by the new piece without blockage. Nice recovery either way. 

Gmk, good question. Not sure if I can change the Temps. I haven't had a reason to even contemplate changing any of the factory settings.

This is a basic, no frills, budget printer. Until yesterday it just kept humming along. Hope it keeps on humming.

Dan

Stabs.............Printed, sanded, primed. Yeah!

In the first picture you can see the 90 degree metal tab. Everything is just dry fit at this point. I am not sure about the exact dimensions of the stab. They look a little big to me, but I will check against my references.

Next the wings. I plan to produce 2 different configurations. One with everything in the neutral position and one with slats and flaps deployed, printed as one unit.

9aWXuZl.jpg?1

7KBlKG1.jpg?1

znrTZPY.jpg?1

Dan

Upon further review,  my belief that stabs looked too big, is correct. I will redesign. 

This is an issue that I have had before. Either I am making measurement mistakes or I am using two different drawings that don't match up.

Makes it hard sometimes to know what is actually correct.

Dan