New 1:32 F-4 Phantom Family Coming in 2022

spruebrothers

This thread was originally about the Turkish-American developed 1:32 F-4B kit, the first in a promised series of J79-powered variants. Its nose section and some other bits have been tooled and test-fitted. The general consensus is that we might see a whole new F-4B airplane kit in 2025, with a J to follow. So far it looks very good. 

A British Spey Toom kit was in development by Hong Kong Models but tragically later abandoned. 

The best bet for a 1:32 F-4K/M is if Aerocraft expand what's available to a fuller 1:32 conversion set for the still widely available (and stashed) Tamiya F-4J, on which the Brit Phantom IIs are based. Aerocraft are 25% there already, with their nozzles, canopy and vari-ramp. 

I'd welcome other conversions from a firm like ResKit: RF-4C/E, F-4G etc. The company's pylons, missiles and drop tanks are exquisite.

Tony 

On 1/17/2022 at 2:22 PM, npb748r said:

I'm a Neil, this applies to me (short attention span, not my call on the nice guy). Must be something in the name. Now where was I....

I can relate, I gotta good memory it's just short:punk:! Seriously, I'd love to see a Brit toom but with the tooling cost being what they are and how much of a demand there might or might not be , doubtful if we'll see one and that's unfortunate . even a full on conversion would be a spendy proposition.

16 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

Now if Airfix would scale their 48th one up to 24th..... well........... Now that would be the bees knees.

whoops ,I meant their 72nd F-4 , disregard previous transmission. that would be an even bigger step it would cost an arm and a leg and a.......... left ear.

whoops ,I meant their 72nd F-4 , disregard previous transmission. that would be an even bigger step it would cost an arm and a leg and a.......... left ear.

If Airfix do a new tool 1:48 Spey Toom to the standard of their recent Buccaneer, I'll buy a pair.

If Airfix "scale-up" the 1:72 FG.1/FGR.2 offering I'll probably pass.  Ghastly canopy framing resembling  1-2 ins thick planking laid over what should be flush canopies, no inlet bypass louvres and panel lines confused with drainage ditches. Airfix's Phantom is why filler and emery paper were invented. I know, it's a toy, it's a toy — but that's why we don't do 1:72.

Tony

3 hours ago, Tony T said:

If Airfix do a new tool 1:48 Spey Toom to the standard of their recent Buccaneer, I'll buy a pair.

If Airfix "scale-up" the 1:72 FG.1/FGR.2 offering I'll probably pass.  Ghastly canopy framing resembling  1-2 ins thick planking laid over what should be flush canopies, no inlet bypass louvres and panel lines confused with drainage ditches. Airfix's Phantom is why filler and emery paper were invented. I know, it's a toy, it's a toy — but that's why we don't do 1:72.

Tony

I agree, I'd probably get more than a pair , Airfix's recent stuff [ buccaneer, Gannet ] are top notch. A 1/24 scale F-4 would be a pretty big build, they'd have to do it up to the level that their recent stuff has been then it'd be a good deal. I don't think it's going to happen though.

20 hours ago, CRAZY IVAN5 said:

I thought the Fujimi Brit kit was the go to for 1/72, but then I also thought it was Hasegawa for 1/48...

Back to topic, guessing they would use the sales of all new F-4B in 1/32 to budget the tooling of other types.

Seems the British Phantom would be the other large leap as far as amount of re-tool.

If i'm anywhere close here I hope sales go exceptionally well.

Could a brave soul design a 3d printed Spey phantom conversion for the Tamiya kit?  I am not feeling great about when we are getting any 1/32 Jet new of any kind.  Italeri might issue something again, but frankly 1/32 Jets are going to be few and far between.  Spey phantom is not my thing but seeing the works coming out of Kopecky scale models as well as other 3d printers seems like this is more of a thing for A.M.

1 hour ago, Kagemusha said:

I don't think that's ever been stated, I'm praying it's going to be their next new subject release.

34 minutes ago, Iain said:

I'm still quietly hopeful a Spey Phantom will eventually appear in injected plastic form - I think there is a market for one, and not just here in the UK!

Iain

The Hong Kong Models FG.1/FGR.2 venture was first strongly hinted at on Neil's Facebook page about nine years ago. 

Then about four or five years ago there was talk on LSP about a CAD designer abandoning his input, requiring a complete restart, and the consensus was that the project wasn't yet dead but had been dealt a potentially mortal blow.

Since then, nothing. It's seemingly gone away like a sick cat to curl up and quietly die in the woodshed while we are gradually undergoing mummification, waiting.

Neil doesn't owe anyone an explanation but I fear the Hong Kong "place holder" is effectively blocking development of an affordable 3D printed conversion set. I've come to accept that unless it's got a propeller and protruding shootin' irons its chances of happening in old fashioned 1:32 kit form are extremely slim — and the Spey Toom has neither.

I'm putting my faith in somebody showing the courage to produce a conversion set for the Tamiya J.

Tony

nine years...the Devastator took long...but is here, same for the F-100F and upcoming S-3B Viking so who knows. But a conversion set from ResKit or Kopecky scale models would probably be quicker...