New 1:32 F-4 Phantom Family Coming in 2022

spruebrothers

On 8/19/2021 at 5:51 AM, DonH said:

12????

We only need three: FG.1, FGR.2 and F-4J (UK).

I would buy 12 of each.

Not interested in the non-spey engine phantoms as I have one built on my shelf and one is enough for me (hated building it, disappointing on so many levels and it's completely put me off owning another Tamiya 1/32 kit). However I would also buy a significant number of Spey engined ones. FG.1 and FG.2 in 1/32 would be a dream come true for me !!  Reading this thread though it seems that my dream will stay just a dream :(

That's great news for me. I would be happy with one new F-4 in 1:32nd, accurate and tooled with today's equipment, and now I hear there's going to be 12... all of which I am certain I will buy and build.

No one seems to have pointed out and counted it within the "12" yet, but the video is showing a Turkish F-4E 2020 "Terminator" a few times and I do not think this is a random selection. The vertical stabilisers of these Phantoms are really very colorful and eyecatching and they have the best (imo of course) sharkmouth on any F-4. Needless to say the Popeyes double the lovely sight of the great Phantom, so that version would really be a must for me, if it so comes out.

DEOa4-Is-Ws-AA0yw-T.jpg

DKD8l-Zw-X0-AAWw-Im.jpg

Any news on this from the Nats?  According to posts over at Hyperscale, the prices were expected to be $300.  Also said the RF-4C was going to be the first release, but one photo shows what looks like Revell RF-4C bagged plastic in front of a Phantom Phreaks RF-4C box.  Anyone on scene got any intel?

1 hour ago, Dave Williams said:

Any news on this from the Nats?  According to posts over at Hyperscale, the prices were expected to be $300.  Also said the RF-4C was going to be the first release, but one photo shows what looks like Revell RF-4C bagged plastic in front of a Phantom Phreaks RF-4C box.  Anyone on scene got any intel?

I did not see any price information posted and to be honest, I did not ask the guys at the booth if they had that information.  The kits they had on display were of an RF-4C.

The guys I spoke with I believe are from Turkey.  I mentioned the sprue brothers announcement and they seemed to know about it ( that very morning).  We’ll find out more when more information is available.

As was provided in the announcement above, they told me that the first release was probably going to be the  F-4B.

Edited by Juggernut

I REALLY hope that the new Rhinos are a lot less than $300 - I won't be buying any at that kinda price. I suspect that most modellers would be put off by the price-tag. Having said all that, this price is currently just a matter of conjecture. 

There were a number of rumours about the (potential) cost of the Wingnut's Lancaster. Of course, events at the company overtook all the conjecture that was occuring.   

Cheers. 

Chris. 

1 minute ago, IvanVasili said:

This price is not a reasonable one, if true.

Is it?   If you think about it, after you purchase a Tamiya F-4 and then add in the bare minimum to make it into a decent replica (burner cans, new intakes, some updates for the cockpit) I’d argue that you are already north of $200.  Then factor in the time required to sand, re-scribe and re-rivet all the BDA plates on the fuselage.  If you want to go heavy on the aftermarket, you can easily get close to $400.  

If this kit is equivalent in quality to a modern Tamiya kit, I think I would seriously consider getting one as a once in a lifetime treat.  If it’s nothing special or has it’s own issues that require correction, I’ll pass.  

8 minutes ago, John1 said:

Is it?   If you think about it, after you purchase a Tamiya F-4 and then add in the bare minimum to make it into a decent replica (burner cans, new intakes, some updates for the cockpit) I’d argue that you are already north of $200.  Then factor in the time required to sand, re-scribe and re-rivet all the BDA plates on the fuselage.  If you want to go heavy on the aftermarket, you can easily get close to $400.  

If this kit is equivalent in quality to a modern Tamiya kit, I think I would seriously consider getting one as a once in a lifetime treat.  If it’s nothing special or has it’s own issues that require correction, I’ll pass.  

Good point, I’ve got several 1/32 Tamiya F-4’s with AM that could pay for this new kit.

3 hours ago, 305 swag said:

Good point, I’ve got several 1/32 Tamiya F-4’s with AM that could pay for this new kit.

Yes, and you had the choice whether to get that AM or not, and the timescale of when to buy it. With a $300 kit, the cost is all up front, with no choice as to whether you want or can afford to pay that price. Sure over time some of us may CHOOSE to spend that on a lesser kit, but if this kit is $300 from the jump, then there is no choice involved. Also, that would be assuming that this kit was perfect, and I guess to some, "acceptable" out of the box. Whens the last time that happened? Since there are many very good kits that people still slather with aftermarket, whose to say that there wouldn't be some need, real or imagined, for the same kind of aftermarket we see for the existing kits? Cockpits seem to be de rigueur for any kit these days, etch, wheels, decals, the list goes on.

I always chuckle (and honestly, groan) a bit when I hear "must have", "acceptable" or "bring it up to standard" when guys refer to kits. As if whatever standard/minimum they feel is necessary should be the same one everyone requires , and anything less is unacceptable. I mean, the horror of a Revell Phantom without any corrections, a Tamiya Phantom without the patches removed...huge.jpg 

Edited by eoyguy

1 hour ago, John1 said:

Is it?

It is. 

There will always be some shortcomings for any kit. Soon after this Phantom hits the market, if it does at all, there will soon emerge many aftermarket stuff, no matter how allegedly "perfect" the kit is. You will again feel forced to buy all these too, as you are (or I'd better say we are) never satisfied with what the box presents. Then your 300$ Phantom becomes a 500$ one...

And if you are really obsessed with "accuracy", let me just remind you that the wall tickness of the plastic is about 1.5mm, which means that the skin of any 1:32 aircraft in real life must be about 5cm! My point is, there are certain limitations in producing the downsized versions of real things so there will always be some things missing for any kit. 

There is not an end to spending, as long as one can afford. I am happy that I can, but it is the philosophy here. I'd buy three or maybe even four Tamiya kits instead and enjoy working on them. Tamiya Phantoms are not that bad to be worth 1/4 of any contemporary offering, they are far better than that... which I believe means that anything new above 150-170$ is overpriced.

1 minute ago, IvanVasili said:

It is. 

There will always be some shortcomings for any kit. Soon after this Phantom hits the market, if it does at all, there will soon emerge many aftermarket stuff, no matter how allegedly "perfect" the kit is. You will again feel forced to buy all these too, as you are (or I'd better say we are) never satisfied with what the box presents. Then your 300$ Phantom becomes a 500$ one...

And if you are really obsessed with "accuracy", let me just remind you that the wall tickness of the plastic is about 1.5mm, which means that the skin of any 1:32 aircraft in real life must be about 5cm! My point is, there are certain limitations in producing the downsized versions of real things so there will always be some things missing for any kit. 

There is not an end to spending, as long as one can afford. I am happy that I can, but it is the philosophy here. I'd buy three or maybe even four Tamiya kits instead and enjoy working on them. Tamiya Phantoms are not that bad to be worth 1/4 of any contemporary offering, they are far better than that... which I believe means that anything new above 150-170$ is overpriced.

It is?  Not be argumentative but the first bits of resin I mentioned are necessary to replace heavily flawed kit parts.   They aren't stuff that is just to fluff up the Tamiya kit.   We don't have to get into a pissing contest over "rivet counting vrs looks like a F-4 to me", just my take on it.   Also, you mentioned that you could build 3-4 Tamiya kits for the cost of this new one.   Not sure about that but regardless, I'm a one and done modeler.   I'm not going to build more than 1 large scale F-4.  If the new kit is to modern Tamiya quality, I have no problem dropping three bills on it.   Go big or go home..