1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch": New eBook Now Available!

chuck540z3

Looking good, Chuck! For what it's worth, Mr. Surfacer (all varieties) shrinks a fair bit while it's drying, creating a bit of a "shrink wrap" affect, and generally pulling itself out of any surface detail. The upshot of this is that it's actually quite difficult to obscure surface detail with the stuff, unless you're brushing it on.

Kev

• chuck540z3 changed the title to 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch" Mar 6/22: First Paint
5 minutes ago, LSP_Kevin said:

Looking good, Chuck! For what it's worth, Mr. Surfacer (all varieties) shrinks a fair bit while it's drying, creating a bit of a "shrink wrap" affect, and generally pulling itself out of any surface detail. The upshot of this is that it's actually quite difficult to obscure surface detail with the stuff, unless you're brushing it on.

Kev

Thanks Kevin.  I am now a fan and will likely use Mr Surfacer a lot more often.  I most certainly will use it on the landing gear after Mr. Metal Primer, because the brass set I'm using is also a bit rough in a few places.

Cheers,

Chuck

March 10/22

Finally, a big leap in progress!  Of all the tasks in modelling, I find painting to be the most rewarding, because it shows you what the model will likely look like when finished.  If your painting is good, so will be the model.  If not, well…..

After letting the Mr Surfacer 1200 dry for a day or so, I applied Tamiya White (TS-26) to those areas that need to be white, like the insignias and numbering.  While I generally love MRP paint, I find their MRP-004 White to require many, many coats to cover, while the Tamiya lacquer is good after only 2 coats, so it’s a lot less work.  I then applied the DN Models mask set, which are vinyl and caused me some significant problems, unlike Kabuki masking tape masks which I much prefer.  I applied these masks according to the kit decal instructions which was simple enough, and they are nice and sharp.  Like all “decaling”, some of them needed to be removed and moved a bit, which was easy and no glue was left behind.

YRSO50.jpg

YfiTlh.jpg

Thin Tamiya tape was used for the boarding locator stripe.

urmi4i.jpg

And for the tail where no vinyl masks were supplied, same as the kit decals.

Ie15pO.jpg

The results after painting with MRP-014 Sea Blue looks terrific from a bit of a distance, but this is after a big fight with the vinyl masks.

lerQk0.jpg

A bit closer, the registry is a little bit jagged but not terrible, which is OK since the insignias and numbers/letters on the real deal are a bit crude to begin with, no doubt because they were painted on board aircraft carriers at sea.

Asv23N.jpg

The problems I had were with the mask removal, because the edges of each mask left a gluey mess that was almost impossible to remove.  This glue was very soft and greasy and nothing I tried would remove it completely.  I used more of the vinyl mask itself to pull it up, along with masking tape, rubbing with a cloth and micro-brushes, trying to roll it up into a ball so that I could pull it off.  Micro-brushes worked the best and I got off about 80% of it after many hours working on each masked area.  Paint solvent on a rag would have worked very well, but with a lacquer paint finish, that was a non-starter, because it would have removed the paint as well.  Having said all that, if you use straight acrylic paints, the clean up of this glue would be easy with paint solvent (not rubbing alcohol), so this is not a criticism of the DN Models masks per se.  With MRP paints and likely many other solvent based paints, however, this could be a problem like I had.

So why did this happen?  I highly suspect that solvent in the acrylic lacquer MRP paint reacted with the glue along the edges, changing its composition, because the glue in the central area of each mask pulled off easily.  Combined with the blue paint, it created a bluish gooey mess, which looked terrible when wiped across the bright white paint, so I had to re-paint a few areas to get rid of it.  The final clean-up after micro-brushes was with rubbing alcohol, which picked up the remaining glue without harming the underlying paint too much.  After wiping off each problem area with a clean cloth with a bit of rubbing alcohol, there was a bit of blue paint on the rag, so you needed to turn it often so that you wouldn’t get any of it on the white paint.

Now a bit of a walk-around on the results which look good to my eye now, despite the problems above.  As you can see, some of the rough plastic remains.

2OWWVk.jpg

GedOr2.jpg

For the walkways, I just made a guess on what they probably looked like.  They are usually dark grey and stop at the rear of the windscreen, but sometimes they are light grey and go all the way to the front of the wing, with the rear flap included most of the time, but not all of the time.  Since I painted the rear flaps, I installed all of them, which don’t need glue with a tight fit that was modified before painting.  The ailerons are only dry fit, since they will need glue when installed at the end of the build.

GYTB4R.jpg

My masking of the front firewall worked really well, with very few touch-ups required.

XzpqM0.jpg

The other side…

ANyCnQ.jpg

qNEOw3.jpg

Since I have a bunch of stencil decals to apply and want to weather this model quite a bit, I sprayed a protective coat of Tamiya clear acrylic X-22 mixed 50/50 with Tamiya lacquer thinner, followed by a flash coat of straight thinner.

msjP6E.jpg

ruefuX.jpg

A gloss coat reveals all flaws, and here you can see some remnants of the rough plastic on the sides of the fuselage.  Unless you want to sand it down completely and remove the stressed skin (SK) look, you just have to live with a bit of it.

eW1dkU.jpg

I68UG3.jpg

ur1dww.jpg

dg5to7.jpg

Again, the fuel tank pylon will cover that seam in the middle.

SpCOFe.jpg

The SK look is still alive and well!

tqEMkp.jpg

So how much weathering am I going to apply?  Here is my subject.

WITSmC.jpg

And this is generally my template for weathering.  I will show a lot of pics of the real deal in future posts, which are dominated by extensive exhaust stains down the sides, sometimes all the way to the tail.  This should be lots of fun!

5nGTRm.jpg

Cheers,

Chuck

Edited by chuck540z3

• chuck540z3 changed the title to 1/24 Airfix F6F-5 Hellcat "Kicked Up A Notch" Mar 10/22: Final Main Paint