Why has no one done a Me 410 in 1/32

oyoy5

On 4/22/2021 at 5:29 PM, oyoy5 said:

I really think this kit would be a good seller good looking airplane with a ton of cool paint schemes.

The 410 was not a very successful aircraft in real life, but I have always thought it looked really cool and I would definitely be interested in a model of it.

I guess it hasn't been made for the same reason almost nothing gets made in 1/32 scale: model manufacturers seem to have  concluded it isn't profitable to make kits in this scale.

I'm pretty sure that Tamiya has totally abandoned future efforts in 1/32, and will concentrate on future (outstanding) releases in 1/48 scale or 1/72 scale.

Too expensive to make a kit in 1/32 scale?  Not enough purchasers of the bigger scale? 

Not sure what the problem is.

I would love to sit down with someone at Tamiya and have a frank, honest discussion about this with accurate sales/production figures, etc.

You never seem to read articles of that type regarding the modeling industry. 

For some reason this is always supposed to be a big secret. 

On 4/28/2021 at 1:40 PM, ringleheim said:

I'm pretty sure that Tamiya has totally abandoned future efforts in 1/32, and will concentrate on future (outstanding) releases in 1/48 scale or 1/72 scale.

I just don't think Tamiya sees itself as focused on airplane kits.  I am not sure it is all about money.  They just did an all new 1/24 super detailed 240ZG.  Beautiful car the video is up on Andys HHQ videos.  Tamiya does a lot of variety, I don't think they are necessarily abandoning 1/32, they do a lot of stuff and that is not what they want to do for now.  I suspect they did not do well with the Mosquito but i would think they have no reason to be unhappy with the sales of the Corsair, Mustang and Spitfire lines.    They also seem to be re-releasing the 1/32 Thunderbirds F-16.  So I just don't think they are done with 1/32 I suspect a slow down or a hiatus but I think we will get one again someday.  

Subject focus modelers think the world revolves around their thing, whether Airplanes, Tanks or whatever.  It seems I see the most posts about Why does Tamiya do X on this site.  But Tamiya probably just does not see things the way large scale plane modelers see them and it is probably not all about the bottom line for Tamiya.  That has to be a factor but I don't think it is the be all and end all.  Tamiya knows they will usually get their money in the end it is just a matter of how long it takes.  

Edited by cbk57

1/32 aircraft models has never been Tamiya’s main focus. I don’t think that Tamiya has abandoned 1/32. They were never in any great rush with issuing new 1/32 kits, so this is not a “hiatus” it is just how fast they move. ;) In any case I seriously doubt that Tamiya has any interest in the Me 410. To me this is more like something HKM would do. 

Radu

The only problems I have the larger resin kits, is that the resin (at least in my experience), tends to warp over time, and the longer you wait, the ore the chance.  The HPH kits come with nice supports still attached to the wings, and fuselage so warping is less prone to occur, but I still see issues like slight twisting of parts that requires the warm water treatment to restore them.  However it's a trick to do this as you IMO have to over fix them as they will have memory and try to go back to the same distorted position. And over time some of the resin upgrade kits I have purchased, actually shrank a bit.  (Grey matters D11 upgrade fuselage halves).  

The AR-234 kit that MDC used to sell, is still sitting in my stash and I plan to build it but mine suffers from extensive warping and twisted parts.  MDC replaced the original wings with another set, and over time they also warped.  Note, the wings are solid and not that easy to get back into the original shape.  Also the fuselage halves are pretty much solid pieces of resin, and both of mine have warped at the top, such that they won't come together without gaps.  Due to the panel line details on the top, I have held off starting this kit for now, as both the fuselage and clear nose canopy (with all the rivets on the outside of the Plexiglas) are a bit intimidating.  MDC was very helpful and great to work with when I purchased this kit, as they replaced both the original wings and the clear parts of the nose. 

The part of an HPH kit that IMO tends to be oppressive is the amount of prep needed to be done unlike an injection kit where you are just cutting form a sprue.  The HPH kits all need to have the major parts cut off the supports and you do have to be careful not to cut too much.  Then there are all the smaller parts, which are not on a sprue, and just in a plastic bag or too, and thus need to be all sorted out.  The instructions are not printed, but instead on a CD, not a big deal but again different from most injected kits and I noticed that on the Helldiver Injection kit they are printing out the instructions.  

The details on the HPH 410 are impressive and I have mine in a state now ready to start construction.  Still have a 1/200 Bismark to get done first, but looking forward to working on the HPH 410.  

I was interested in the Injection moulded Helldiver, but since I have the HPH resin kit I will stay with it for now.  

Paul 

13 hours ago, MikeMaben said:

Since nobody has ever known what Tamiya is going to release next,

(guussing hoping guessing hoping ) how can anybody know whether

they've given up on 1/32 or not ?   Insider information ???

tamiya.jpg

Sorry Mike .....but she doesn't love you any more Mr LSP   , you need to grieve and move on. .....

Edited by Panzerwomble

On 4/30/2021 at 8:45 AM, Radub said:

1/32 aircraft models has never been Tamiya’s main focus. I don’t think that Tamiya has abandoned 1/32. They were never in any great rush with issuing new 1/32 kits, so this is not a “hiatus” it is just how fast they move. ;) In any case I seriously doubt that Tamiya has any interest in the Me 410. To me this is more like something HKM would do. 

Radu

For some extraordinary reason I've always presumed this would be done by Revell for many years?

I'm now more inclined to think we stand more chance from Z-M.

I do hope we get it from someone soon!  :tumble:

2 hours ago, Kagemusha said:

I think the best chance would be Infinity for an IM kit.

FWIW, I sent Infinity a note last week asking if they’d consider an IM Hornisse. Can’t hurt, right? I’ll pass along their reply if they make one.

Cheers,

Adam

Hi folks,

Happily, I heard back from Infinity. An injection-molded Me-410 is a “maybe : )” Also, the HGW 1/32 Havoc will hopefully come out before the end of the year.

(Yes, the smile emoticon was in their reply, and it’s definitely a smile, not a wink.)

So there you go. Thanks to Infinity for keeping the comms open, and I’ll take a happy maybe anytime.

Adam

Edited by adameliclem

Well a plastic 410 would be interesting - if reasonably priced I would be in for one for sure. 

Good news on the Havoc as well - long dev time on that beast for sure.

Regarding ZM doing a 410 or anything else - they have been pretty quiet it seems - is it known what they are working on for new kits or all hush-hush?

9 hours ago, petrov27 said:

Regarding ZM doing a 410 or anything else - they have been pretty quiet it seems - is it known what they are working on for new kits or all hush-hush?

ZM released a 1/32 Hs 129 in November 2019 in Telford, but it became widely available in early 2020. In the second half of 2020 ZM issued the 1/48 F-4 EJ Kai Phantom  "Retirement Scheme" special edition and in the next couple of months they are launching the "regular" edition of the same kit. They have not been that quiet at all.  

But you are right, they are working on new kits and it is all hush-hush. :)

Radu 

I wish ZM would release the other versions of the Hs-129, at least the MK-108 version.  It was originally supposed to ship with the MK-103 version per their website as I recall, ie. both versions in same box.   

The large 75mm canon version was always separate. Would like to see that version released also. 

Paul  

On 5/3/2021 at 4:49 AM, petrov27 said:

Well a plastic 410 would be interesting - if reasonably priced I would be in for one for sure. 

Good news on the Havoc as well - long dev time on that beast for sure.

The last public communication confirmed further development of their 1/32 Fw-190 series so plenty going on there I think.

They announced at the time that this particular kit release would be the first to include a 'basic' version which we might call a normal type of presentation other than the super kit variant they normally have.

It'll be interesting to see if they continue with that plan. 

On 5/4/2021 at 4:38 PM, Royboy said:

The last public communication confirmed further development of their 1/32 Fw-190 series so plenty going on there I think.

They announced at the time that this particular kit release would be the first to include a 'basic' version which we might call a normal type of presentation other than the super kit variant they normally have.

It'll be interesting to see if they continue with that plan. 

ZM's Fw-190 is one I'm waiting for too, though I like the idea of the SWS version.  I think my next build will be one of their kits, so that last thought may be subject to change. :unsure:  :lol:.  I haven't built a German plane, or any other axis power plane, in over 5 years so really looking forward to ZM releasing one.  Hopefully in the next year??

Cheers,

Michael