You want how much???

Oldbaldguy

1 hour ago, thierry laurent said:

You would be surprised discovering how much many eBay buyers have no clue of the current market value of things and this is not limited to models in any way. Weird to say the least...

Nail. Meet hammer. :D

22 hours ago, ssculptor said:

Some people collect the old kits and prefer the original issue over the repops. So the prices are higher.

Actually, as a builder, I prefer original/older issues if I want to build one of those kits (as long as aftermarket decals are available).  The plastic in the old kits is, to me, generally of a better quality and the moldings are crisper and tend to fit better than recent issues of the same kits.  I know I'd rather build an original issue of, say, a Monogram F3F than a recent Revell reissue.  

I find as a former seller, that what you get for a kit depends entirely on how desperate the buyer is. The flip side of that is, what you have is only worth what someone else is willing  to pay for it when you are desperate to sell it. In either case, usually there is a meeting point in between, assuming both parties are willing to talk.

I certainly agree with old bald guy with the incredible prices of not only the old kits but the newer ones to. I find it incredible that someone spends close to $200 on a Tamiya Mustang, Corsair or Spitfire and then shells out another $100+ in aftermarket accessories that “correct” the kit. I’m not poor but I build for the experience ,trying to get the best quality result, I don’t have the skills so of you guys have.Lastly, you see and old kit ( Hasegawa 1/32 Mustang ) on line to $50-$75 and I wonder ....why. I’ve built about 15 of them and it’s not worth more than $25.00. I love this hobby and get much out of the work in progress forum to inhance my skills but I have a limit on what I’ll pay for a 1/32 kit and don’t exceed that limit. I rather use the excess money for greens fees:coolio:

Respectfully,

Jim

I think I may have said this before, but It's the thrill of the chase on ebay for a lot of people, I've seen something go for way too much money which I have also had but if you put the self same item even if it's in better condition up on ebay as a buy it now at the price of the bidders that lost price, guess what happens? It doesn't sell after 30 days.

Also sometimes when you see a kit that goes for what you think is too much, if you do the maths and calculate inflation and real inflation is 7% a year I assure you, it works out that it's just held it's value and no more.

Graham

Edited by GrahamF
Correction

For the price of 2nd hand "collector's market" the Internet has almost completely squashed the "barn find". With the click of a screen/mouse/whatever, anyone can instantly see what the current market value of literally everything is. 

"I know what I've got..."

As for new kits, that is how things are now. 

Wonder why kids aren't picking up the hobby? Because monogram B17s aren't a couple of dollars, they're $50.

Why aren't teens bothering to learn to drive or growing an interest in cars? Because that brand new F150 that cost $2500 in the 60s, now costs $35'000.

Why aren't young folk taking up flying? Because that Aeronca Champ that cost $2000 new, now costs $200'000  :BANGHEAD2:

Today, our dollar buys comparatively significantly less across the board. 

8 hours ago, RadBaron said:

Wonder why kids aren't picking up the hobby? Because monogram B17s aren't a couple of dollars, they're $50.

Please tell me when Monogram B-17s were a couple of dollars. 1870?

Sometimes wonder if I had cash in my wallet at a hobby store or swap meet if  I’d spend as much as an online auction or buy it now. They don’t call it evil bay for nothing:evil_laugh: You pay for the convenience and world wide range

Edited by Pup7309

18 hours ago, John Stambaugh said:

In the late 1960s a 1/4oz. bottle of Testors enamel was 5 cents - early 70s it was a dime. The price was printed on the cap. By the mid 70s the cost was 25 cents. A gallon of gasoline was 29 cents. Etc. 

Hi John  :hi:  Yep, I remember filling my tank for about $5.