Gator Glue..No More....

Mark P

Indeed, it seems to be true:

http://www.gatorsmask.com/index.html

That's a shame, as this stuff is my go-to solution for canopies, a lot of PE, and much else where CA might ordinarily be used. It's a fantastic product, and it will be sad to see it go. I still have plenty left in my bottle, so as long as it doesn't go bad on me, I'll be good for a while. But what to replace it with? Perhaps Kenny can sell his formulation to someone else, who can keep the product going.

Kev

33 minutes ago, BloorwestSiR said:

I've got about half a bottle left of Gator Glue. Sorry to hear he's closing up. 

Recently I've been using something similar from Mig.

PXL_20201112_202332158-600x450.jpg

It's not as viscous as Gator Glue but seems to work the same. 

Carl

Thanks for the tip, Carl. Something to try when the time comes.

Kev

29 minutes ago, mozart said:

Presumably it’s PVA-based but I wonder what else there is in it? 

No idea, but it's certainly better for modelling purposes than pure PVA. It's more viscous, and seems to create a much stronger bond than I used to get when using PVA.

Kev

Luckily, I just ordered a big bottle of Gator Glue CA from Amazon. When I am not using that, I use this:

mcZkjbr.jpg

It's not exactly cheap, but it is excellent for its gap-filling abilities, and it sands quite nicely as well (as long as you don't wait until it is fully cured, that is.) Hope this helps.

Edited by J.C.
Just for sheer lunacy.

2 minutes ago, CATCplSlade said:

I haven't liked any version of Gator Glue that I have used.

There appears to be multiple, similarly-named products that people seem to confuse when discussing this topic. The specific product we're discussing here is Gator's Grip, and looks like this:

Gators+Grip+Acrylic+Hobby+Glue-2.jpg

Whereas the one below is a different animal altogether, though I've never tried it, and can't comment on its efficacy:

GATOR-REVISED_03.png

Kev

I can add to the Ultra Glue positives.  I have used it now for 6 months, and it's IMO better than the Gator Glue alternative.  You can use it full strength or watered down, and it makes a very strong bond for photo etch and plastic, which is where I used the Gator brand.  Ultra dries clear and can, and excess can be removed with a fine blade, unlike CA.  

Sad to see Kenny moving on as I have used his product for many years.  

Paul C