RAF FG.1 XV571 WILD HARE Phantom Conversion

Anthony in NZ

On 10/23/2022 at 2:56 PM, IainM said:

Gee whizz @Anthony in NZ that is looking phenomenal! That tub looks just soooooo good!!!!!

Thanks mate....it's turning my hair grey too! Cockpit work like yours sets a bar for me to work towards and push myself.

23 hours ago, MARU5137 said:

Anthony, 

Outstanding  work on the Cockpit  and instrument panel. 

:yahoo:

I think you're doing a very impressive  job  on your build .

:clap2:  :bow:

SPECTACULAR. 

:punk:

{ .. give 'em hell back Anthony   :rofl:  :coolio:  }.

Thank you so much....you encourage me to press on as at times it it difficult.

Cheers Anthony

22 hours ago, jenshb said:

Excellent work on the cockpits!

Thank you very much....getting there, sometimes it feels like it will never end LOL

5 hours ago, amurray said:

Are the panel line and rivet highlights the final effect?  If so, how did you do them?  They look great!

No not quite, I still have the top colours to go on.  When I layer the paint on I will use more or less of the panel and rivet detail as I feel looks natural to my eye

Thank you

Rear comm’s panel done. This houses the nav computer and control panel as well as various instrument and antenna switches

This was a pain to scratchbuild once I even found out what it even looked like on the back side of the panels. Still more wiring, instruments etc still to go in the already cluttered rear pit!

The trickiest bit was getting the central canopy section to fit over the top

g9RfES.jpg

ii2H3b.jpg

7uD7gE.jpg

Hl2ZmQ.jpg

As always thanks for your encouragement...

Cheers Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Bloody great work as usual, really admire you skills. Cannot believe you hate this:hmmm:

Found this link maybe an idea for the final colours?

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/this-raf-phantom-was-stenciled-with-an-f-117-dont-ask-zap-after-it-made-an-emergency-landing-at-tonopah-afb/amp/

Cheers Rick

On 10/25/2022 at 4:48 AM, vvwse4 said:

Hi Anthony,

Bloody great work as usual, really admire you skills. Cannot believe you hate this:hmmm:

Found this link maybe an idea for the final colours?

https://theaviationgeekclub.com/this-raf-phantom-was-stenciled-with-an-f-117-dont-ask-zap-after-it-made-an-emergency-landing-at-tonopah-afb/amp/

Cheers Rick

Thanks Rick, yup she'll be in 43 sqn colours with the checkered fin only.

2FkCnw.jpg

On 10/26/2022 at 9:25 AM, Marcel111 said:

Wowzer that cockpit is looking incredible!!

Thank you sir!  I will take that compliment to heart as I really dislike doing cockpits..... I thought this might help me to like them, but it didnt :blink:

So I squeezed a bit of time in at the bench today and added some details to the centre cockpit/canopy section.  I found the structure and front seals were a but off so I re-did them.  Excuse the fit as it is only just dropped on top.

tZ7cLV.jpg

I poked a bright light in there to help see what was done with the shapes etc

FYUBaq.jpg

But you get the idea

t0BF3I.jpg

Thanks for tuning in as always gents

Cheers Anthony

3 hours ago, Derek B said:

Amazing work Anthony - I really love your cockpit work and those instrument back shell cables are fantastic! For someone who professes to hate cockpit work, you are doing an outstanding job, well done.

Derek

100% agree - simply oustanding cockpit!!

..the whole look and feel is so scale it's fabulous

Peter

6 hours ago, Derek B said:

Amazing work Anthony - I really love your cockpit work and those instrument back shell cables are fantastic! For someone who professes to hate cockpit work, you are doing an outstanding job, well done.

Derek

Thanks so much buddy, I really appreciate you’re comments. Keeps me feeling like I’m pointing in the right direction. I’m currently seeing what aftermarket Mk7 seats are suited to the RAF birds. Some comments on line suggest the Air Force version is closer than Navy version. 

3 hours ago, airscale said:

100% agree - simply oustanding cockpit!!

..the whole look and feel is so scale it's fabulous

Peter

Thanks so much Peter!  I’ve brought lots of your placard and instrument sets and they are already dotted all through this build including the wheel wells. Thank you

Cheers Anthony 

2 hours ago, Anthony in NZ said:

Thanks so much buddy, I really appreciate you’re comments. Keeps me feeling like I’m pointing in the right direction. I’m currently seeing what aftermarket Mk7 seats are suited to the RAF birds. Some comments on line suggest the Air Force version is closer than Navy version. 

Hi Anthony,

Apart from the basic seat structure, there are quite a lot of differences between the USAF/UN MBA H7 and UK Mark 7A type seats. I have lots of images (see those I sent you via LSP Message) and having worked on them, have a reasonably good idea of what they should look like. The immediate obvious difference is that the Mark 7A seat has a RRI (Remote Rocket Initiator unit mounted on the upper left side of the seat beam structure and the emergency oxygen cylinder is mounted differently (so the seat back pad is different, along with the harness and QRF type - closer to the lightning in many respects). I worked on Mk.6MSB (Buccaneer) and Mk.7A (Phantom, as well as converting H7 to 7A) seats - both parachutes and harness are extremely similar.

Regards

Derek

Edited by Derek B